Kit saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa firewood cutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How do my fellow site members feel about the hutzl kits, I was considering getting the 372 kit and putting a higher quality jug and piston on it, I’m fairly mechanically inclined, are these within a hobbiest abilities to get running? Also what own parts would you suggest?? Any input and feedback would be appreciated.

Will pass on their cases, have seen a few break out at top of inner felling spike. Sure others have different opinions.

Rather enjoy them myself. Inexpensive entertainment in the world of chainsaws.

Anyone buying them thinking they are getting a bargain on a OEM tool is destined for disappointment, certainly an optimist. Anyone buying them for fun and educational purposes should get some satisfaction from the kits.

People who need a saw to heat thier house I recommend the Echo 590, people who need a saw to put together and take apart repeatable after modify bits and pieces I recommend a 660 kit because the bits and pieces that they ruined are readily available cheap in the am world and hopefully the will stop ruining OEM 660 bits.

In general the kits are a hoot. Recommend buying them stateside from a known entity, such as a site sponsor like HLS.

I agree , if you want a saw to cut firewood then go to a dealer and get a saw, however Someone like me who like to “ goof around” with things and has good saws to use seems like some fun to me. Thank you for your response and you could not be more right on the topic.

I chose to buy a used Husqvarna 372xp and rebuild it, still end up with less money in it than a kit, especially if you rebuild the kit with some oem parts..Plus, if it's rebuilt okay it would be worth more than a kit saw..
I also thought about that but saw carcasses around here are few and far between. However I would like to do that sometime.

My wife bought the 372 kit for me for father's day, it was on sale at the time. I put the bb kit on it when I built it. The coil lasted about 15 minutes. I put an oem coil on it that I had, along with an oem recoil, and it's been fine since. Is it a husky saw? No. Is it fairly powerful, and was it fun to build? Yes. I've even milled with it a little, with no issues.

I am on my second one. Completed the 660 and now I’m starting on the 070. To me it’s a learning experience. I understand these probably will not take the abuse of a stock saw. But I’m having fun.

I never bought a kit, rather a couple of complete clones that have been apart and modifed several times. I learned a lot and fixed a few assembly and parts issues with one of them too. One is heavily ported.

Funny thing is they both will start and run any and every time, and cut well all day. I use them a lot. Still, there is a lot of my time in them, so one must decide if it's worth it.

How do my fellow site members feel about the hutzl kits, I was considering getting the 372 kit and putting a higher quality jug and piston on it, I’m fairly mechanically inclined, are these within a hobbiest abilities to get running? Also what own parts would you suggest?? Any input and feedback would be appreciated.
Lol are you serious? Search "Huztl" on here and then be prepared to do sone reading!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My MS660 kit came complete with no missing parts. The only problem I had was the clutch bearing was a little tight and I burnished it a little and it has been fine ever sense. If you look most of the people putting these kits together have little to no experience in working on saws and engines. Many times they put them together to gain experience, which is a great way of gaining that experience. These kits also do not come with any type of directions. A first time builder or someone with very little experience will have trouble putting them together, possibility putting screws and bolts in the wrong location. It is just part of gaining experience. I can tell you that the piston and cylinder that came with the kit were of good quality, the big bore kit was of good quality. I have used this saw many hours with the parts that came with it and the only other problem I have had has been with the decompression valve, the button keeps popping off. A friend who ownes a tree service has been using it for the passed 2 weeks. It is being used commercially every day and just keeps on going. Before that I used it hard almost every day and it keeps on going.

Brian

These parts kit saws are interesting but buy from a reputable supplier. I would like to get one to do ebz8500 based Frankensaw project.

My 2 cents, I put a 660 kit together that I bought from hls. I bought it on sale and put a cheap 36" bar on it. I've only needed a big saw once every 3-4 years, and I just couldn't justify a genuine Stihl. I also always wanted to get into milling, so I welded up a jig from scrap. For under $400 I found that the setup has worked well. That's not to say that I haven't had to chase down a few issues. I've had two friends that wanted me to build one for them and I refused. I told them if they aren't comfortable tuning a saw they don't want one. The first half dozen times I used it I've had to go back and tinker with it, but I fully expected to have issues. It's been a fun project for the money and I've gotten a ton of experience trouble shooting saws from it. I've rebuilt several saws from the ground up since and it was nice knowing that the mistakes made on the cheapo save me some cash on the good ones. I believe the biggest issue is hutlz's service and people expecting them to be the real deal.

Latest posts

Back