Buying Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got a breaker and spinner, I'm going to srart buying chain by the roll.

What's the most cost effective way to buy chain?

saw shops- What chains would you have in stock?

Thanks

Stihl RSC, second choise, Oregon LP - and Stihl RM if you have any dirty logs......:greenchainsaw:

Edit; Oooppps, wrong answer, that wasn't what you asked about, probably.........

Last edited:
Bailey's (one of the sponsors here) sells 100' rolls for a little over 200.00 a pop. I priced a roll of Oregon 72cl at my local "brick & morter", He priced it to me at 355.00 plus shipping estimated at 50.00. I just order from Bailey's.

Andy

I want a roll of 3/8 x .058 Full chisel, round ground. I want to be able to square file a loop when I want it, it looks like Bailey's 38RC is what I want?

I just got a breaker and spinner a couple of months ago and have been using it to spin a few new loops and adjust the lengths on a few. Bailey's has a sale going right now on reels:

72LP .050 100' reel (for example)

Chain prices are good, it's all the other stuff that finds it's way on the order that runs the bill up :cheers:

yup!

Yup! I would order from bailey's. They seem to have the best prices on saw chain in 100' reels.:bowdown: ;) :biggrinbounce2: :laugh: :D :rockn:

I used to cut my own chains...I only bought either Oregon LG or Windsor 50APL...Then I bought Oregon 91 for my climbing saws..But lately I've gotten lazy and just started ordering loops again.

I just got a breaker and spinner a couple of months ago and have been using it to spin a few new loops and adjust the lengths on a few. Bailey's has a sale going right now on reels:

72LP .050 100' reel (for example)

Chain prices are good, it's all the other stuff that finds it's way on the order that runs the bill up :cheers:

I keep thinking about getting a breaker and spinner, but have so much luck with a modded punch, a piece of rail, a hammer, and a 4" angle grinder that I just haven't gotten around to it. Only boogered one up out of a dozen or so. Just started over and it went perfect the second time around.

Another thing that's on my list to do. Buy a roll of chain.

Mark

Just buy the square ground chain, and file it round if you want to...that way you can just keep one 100' roll in stock. Its easy to round file square chain, and a lot harder to square grind round chisel. Baileys is probably the best bet, but you might check with Madsens just to be sure. You want Oregon 73CL or CLX if you want full comp. if its full skip you need then 73CJ(X). The X chains are the newer "durapro" style. It is rumored that they are not as different on the square ground chains as the "X" series round ground chaisn are from their predecessors.

Latest posts

Back