chain break and spinner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan on starting to make my own chains. im a weekend warrior, I fell and buck ~10 cords/year for firewood and property maintenance. I just want some quality tools that will perform the job well but not spend a fortune on them. I was looking at the harbor freight break/spinner combo but it had some bad reviews so im not sold on that one yet. Can anyone recommend something to me? Also, when I buy a roll of chain does it usually come with connecting links or will I need to buy those separately? Is the break, spinner, chain, and link the only things I will need?

tecomic or oregon are the better cheaper versions, stihl offers a higher quality 2 in one version...rolls of chain come with the pieces needed to make loops and boxes to put them in. I prefer getting 25 foot rolls because of cost and time to use them up plus if i am not fully satisfied its only a half dozen loops or less of it...for a firewood cutter that self sharpens a 25 foot roll can last a good stint in my experience.

I'd recommend buy the Tecomec/Oregon. They'll last hundreds of chains. I think Stihl supplies 5 or 10 joiners per 25 foot roll. As did the only roll of Chinese chain that I've bought

I have the Woodland Pro set from Baileys. For a brief period the replacement parts were hard to find (breaker punch) but they have been available again for quite a while. I work on a lot of different sizes and type of chains and this set up has been great.

20230812_075708.jpg

20230812_075718.jpg

I learned early on that the key provided to locate the anvil when breaking chains is not in the correct spot...I broke several punches before I realized just what what happening. Since then I have been eyeballing the punch and might break one in 2-3 years. I used it for a while with nothing in the key slot but that allowed the anvil to deform the edges around the hole for the nose rivet anvil so I replace the key and did my best to file it flush.

I also had to make an anvil for some of the 1/4" pitch chain as the one supplied with the kit was too wide of an opening. Mine is just made from some run of the mill carbon steel and would not hold up to a lot of use but it gets me by for the occasional times I need it.

Mark

That’s a really good deal. Parts are widely available for this model. They also sell it in blue as ‘Archer’ on their eBay site, but I understand that they, and Oregon brand, all come from Tecomec.

I also have the Bailey’s / Carlton model @heimannm mentioned. Saw them using it in the Bailey’s shop for custom chain orders. Would be happy with either set.

Philbert

I have never bought a roll of chain either. But I have repaired or resized hundreds of loops, which paid for my spinner / breaker set many times over.

The ‘pre-sets’ (‘repair links’, ‘master links’, etc. ) can be purchased separately from dealers (STIHL), eBay, or any online vendor that sells chain.

There can be some subtle differences between some types, brands, etc. I am pretty sure I have more $ tied up in those than the spinner / breaker!

I will post a few links to related threads here, so check back.

Philbert

Do you really need more tools? I make my chains up from bulk. The little angle grinder on the pins without hitting the link and a punch for separation. For joining the ends a ball peen is made specifically for this purpose - just enough move the end to a mushroom and then work around the pin only enough to snug the link and no further. If you wailed on the pin and the joint won't move your too heavy handed. I've never had a chain come apart.

Do you really need more tools? I make my chains up from bulk. The little angle grinder on the pins without hitting the link and a punch for separation. For joining the ends a ball peen is made specifically for this purpose

A good spinner / breaker set is faster, and makes neater links. I’ve spun hundreds of loops with mine, and could still sell it for more than half of what I paid for it.

We all have things that we could survive without. But, once you use a good tool, you sometimes wonder how you got along without it.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back