Stihl MS461 Bar Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54bogger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am picking up a nice used 461 that I found at the local pawnshop and want you gentleman's advice.
It has a 25in bar on it now and my cutting is all hardwood (oak) and here's where I need your advice.

Should I........
1. Take off the 25in bar and run a 28in?
2.Keep the 25 on it and buy a 32in with a skip chain to have just for those special tree's?

My other firewood saw is a ms440 with a 20in bar.

Looking forward to your advice, Thanks.

Sit tight calm down, get the saw and run it a for a while with the bar it came with and then YOU will have an idea of whether you need bigger/smaller/lighter. Its almost a silly question to ask as how the hell do we know what size wood you'll be mostly cutting. Bar size is most relevant to size of wood being cut or for reach for a tall person. You mention nothing in regard to these important factors.

Without knowing the size of trees you're cutting it's impossible to say how long a bar you will need.

I have a 24" (Stihl 25") bar that I use on my MS460 most of the time, and a 32" for big trees. You will need the HO oil pump for a 32" bar. The saw balances nicely with the 24". It's nose heavy with even a lightweight 32" bar.

Most tree's will be under 36ins. I ran a 28in on my 661 but have never ran a 461 that's why I asked this question. Thanks

25" bar is max for a 461, get some full skip chain and off you go.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

If it’s Stock, it will be best suited with a 25” in hardwood, with the occasional need for a 32” full skip not being a bad idea.

As others have mentioned, a 32” will do better with a H.O. Oiler, but there are things you can do to help your saw do it’s best.

Take a dremel or drill bit to the Bar oil hole & open it up slightly.

There is a “shade tree mechanic” modification that can be done on the oiler to have it oil more.

I believe it’s on YouTube.

25" bar is max for a 461, get some full skip chain and off you go.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

Not here.
2353000461eead7bb86cab66a4ebf706.jpg

A 25" bar is not max for either a Stihl MS461 or my 046 Mag. I pull a 28' bar most of the time with my 046 Mag and on occasion I load on a 30" bar and it never complains. Heck, I can even load a 28" bar on my old Mac 5700 and cut big elm and cottonwood:
BigElm2.JPG

Attachments

• Big Elm3.jpg
    Big Elm3.jpg
    968.5 KB · Views: 7
Back