Help choosing Stihl 291 C-BE or 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlG Daddy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is not in the right section.

Hello. I am going to be buying a new chainsaw this spring. It will have a 20inch bar. Being used for firewood. (Replacing my old dolmar). My town caters to the forestry industry and has multiple Stihl dealers so for ease of convenience, Stihl is the winner.

These are the two saw models I have narrowed it down to and why they appeal to me

500i
fuel injection
side mounted chain tensioning
Being able to go up in bar length because of douglas fir in my area

291 C-BE
ergo start system
quick chain tensioning
Being able to go down in bar length because of bull pine in my area

I know these saws aren’t really an apples to apples comparison.
And while price drastically differs from the other.
My main reason for picking one of these two saws is because I NEED something that starts within 2-3 pulls. Maybe a 4th pull if it’s early in the day, but after that. I have to quit because my wrists are bad. (Disability and poor genetics)

If anyone has advice or opinions, experience? I’m all ears and would appreciate some feedback.

The 500i is a different animal then your dolmar and the 291. A very capable saw but there is some learning involved. Keep that in mind.

My 500i experiences --> https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/stihl-500i-fast-idle-and-overheating-bar-and-chain.360589/

More specifically for your situation --> https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...ting-bar-and-chain.360589/page-2#post-7769810
Damn. That sucks. Sorry you have/had to experience those problems. Yes, thank you for sharing it was informative for me

My main reason for picking one of these two saws is because I NEED something that starts within 2-3 pulls. Maybe a 4th pull if it’s early in the day, but after that. I have to quit because my wrists are bad. (Disability and poor genetics)

1. Anyone who can afford a saw other-than-MS291 should buy the "other" saw. The 291 is a turd. Heavy for it's power. I would think "heavy" would also be bad for your wrists...not just starting.

2. Any newish pro Stihl saw will start right up for you.

3. The two saws I think you should consider are the MS261 and MS400. If you often have a 20" bar buried in the wood...go for the MS400. If you use your 20" bar to mostly cut 16" wood...the MS261 would be plenty.

4. If you go with MS261, you can choose either the conventional carb model (MS261) or the electronically-adjusted carb (MS261CM). Either would be great.

Roy

Damn. That sucks. Sorry you have/had to experience those problems. Yes, thank you for sharing it was informative for me

If you got the coin, buy the 500i. Its a great saw.

With the 291, there is also a slight different user experience to learn. That is to let the saw idle a bit, before the initial cuts and after the final cuts. The electronics need to adjust for conditions. Mostly after the final cut, or the saw will flood itself on restart. My 261 was my first M-Tronic saw, and I flooded it badly when I shut if off abruptly. Flooding a saw is usually not a big deal, but with the M-Tronics it was a bit of a struggle.

Lastly consider the ms400 over the 291. More bang for the buck. If fact for what you described as your needs the ms400 would be my recommendation to you for a new Stihl saw.

1. Anyone who can afford a saw other-than-MS291 should buy the "other" saw. The 291 is a turd. Heavy for it's power. I would think "heavy" would also be bad for your wrists...not just starting.

2. Any newish pro Stihl saw will start right up for you.

3. The two saws I think you should consider are the MS261 and MS400. If you often have a 20" bar buried in the wood...go for the MS400. If you use your 20" bar to mostly cut 16" wood...the MS261 would be plenty.

4. If you go with MS261, you can choose either the conventional carb model (MS261) or the electronically-adjusted carb (MS261CM). Either would be great.

Roy
Price isn’t a real concern and surprisingly same with weight. My wrist/starting issue comes from motion and force of a pull. HA! Any mention of turd is enough reason for me to avoid.

Yes that happens with a 20” quite a bit, probably 2/3 the time.

Thank you for the recommendations Roy I have more to consider. A 400 is looking reeally good.
If you got the coin, buy the 500i. It’s a great saw.

With the 291, there is also a slight different user experience to learn. That is to let the saw idle a bit, before the initial cuts and after the final cuts. The electronics need to adjust for conditions. Mostly after the final cut, or the saw will flood itself on restart. My 261 was my first M-Tronic saw, and I flooded it badly when I shut if off abruptly. Flooding a saw is usually not a big deal, but with the M-Tronics it was a bit of a struggle.

Lastly consider the ms400 over the 291. More bang for the buck. If fact for what you described as your needs the ms400 would be my recommendation to you for a new Stihl saw.
Currently I have $1300. After taxes, by this time next month if not earlier I can afford the 400. Where as I’d be waiting till end of April for enough cash saved to buy a 500i. Which is no big deal or rush.

O wow that is good to know about m-tronic.
I really appreciate the feedback guys a 400 keeps looking better and better.

Another vote for the 400 here, such a good one saw plan/all rounder saw. Any modern saw should start no probs so I'd be looking at other factors. A 500i with a 20inch bar for firewood would be the envy of many on here but definitely seems a bit overkill!

Two quick notes about the MS400. They are Mtronic saws (electronically-adjusted carb) and have a first-for-chainsaws magnesium piston.

Lot's of people like both features. Obviously, some don't (as evidenced by non-Mtronic models still selling).

BTW, as far as your need for an easy-start saw, dealers should have gassed-up saws you can try starting right in the shop.

Roy

Forgive me if this is not in the right section.

Hello. I am going to be buying a new chainsaw this spring. It will have a 20inch bar. Being used for firewood. (Replacing my old dolmar). My town caters to the forestry industry and has multiple Stihl dealers so for ease of convenience, Stihl is the winner.

These are the two saw models I have narrowed it down to and why they appeal to me

500i
fuel injection
side mounted chain tensioning
Being able to go up in bar length because of douglas fir in my area

291 C-BE
ergo start system
quick chain tensioning
Being able to go down in bar length because of bull pine in my area

I know these saws aren’t really an apples to apples comparison.
And while price drastically differs from the other.

If anyone has advice or opinions, experience? I’m all ears and would appreciate some feedback.
The 291 is one of Stihls worst efforts.

I had a 291cb-e make its way into my shop a while ago. I used it a bit and it was just so heavy and awkward that I wouldn't even keep it for a loaner. It ran fine but was just kinda a garbage saw.
Damn that is bad. Unfortunate to hear but Im glad to know about it. Thank you sharing.
The 291 is one of Stihls worst efforts.
Ha yes agreed. Glad I came here for info. The 291 isnt even an option anymore. I am going to avoid it like the plague.
Don’t know where you’re at but should be able to afford a ms400 now. Dealer sold me one for $960 plus tax
Prince George, BC, Canada. A MS400 with 20inch bar is $1359.99 before taxes. After both provincial/state and federal taxes which is 12% will be $1523.19

I am really appreciative of the feedback. Thanks guys!

Favouring the 400 but am not opposed to other models. I get paid Friday and will have another $300. Monday and Tuesday are my days off. That’s when I’ll go check out the dealers. Handle some saws, see whats all there, what they recommend and say.

Prince George, BC, Canada. A MS400 with 20inch bar is $1359.99 before taxes. After both provincial/state and federal taxes which is 12% will be $1523.19

That's CAD right? So about 1000 USD, which sounds about right. You might want to consider upgrading at the dealer for a 24" B&C. I run my 261 with a 20 and it is great, and the 261 is quite a bit less expensive.

Sounds like you are on a 1 saw plan so get the 400, upgrade the B&C and you will be set for most everything.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back