Help choosing a between a 362 CM 400 CM or a 550 or... ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone who replied and helped me decide on the 400.

The chainsaw store ordered a 400 for me... said it would be a week. It's been a week, I called them and they said that I couldn't get the saw in a week like they said - even though they ordered them straight from the warehouse computer just one province away. The new date was going to be 4-6 weeks. Pissed me right off! I called the next closest Stihl dealer and found that they had a barely used 400 for sale. It was too much saw for someone, so they took it back to the store and traded it for a 261.

I got it for $700CDN (about $523 American) with a 20" barely smudged bar and the original chain that's got about 3/8 of it's life left in it. The muffler looks almost brand new. Hanging in my shop, I already have a spare 20" bar with a new 3/8 chain that will fit. The saw has been broken in. That task is no longer my concern. Cold saw, fired right up. Runs like a damn. I had a 12" log in the back of the truck to give it a try at the store - cut it like butter!

Phoned my local chain saw store, and they were most apologetic when I told them I didn't need them to order a saw for me.

Thanks to everyone who replied and helped me decide on the 400.

The chainsaw store ordered a 400 for me... said it would be a week. It's been a week, I called them and they said that I couldn't get the saw in a week like they said - even though they ordered them straight from the warehouse computer just one province away. The new date was going to be 4-6 weeks. Pissed me right off! I called the next closest Stihl dealer and found that they had a barely used 400 for sale. It was too much saw for someone, so they took it back to the store and traded it for a 261.

I got it for $700CDN (about $523 American) with a 20" barely smudged bar and the original chain that's got about 3/8 of it's life left in it. The muffler looks almost brand new. Hanging in my shop, I already have a spare 20" bar with a new 3/8 chain that will fit. The saw has been broken in. That task is no longer my concern. Cold saw, fired right up. Runs like a damn. I had a 12" log in the back of the truck to give it a try at the store - cut it like butter!

Phoned my local chain saw store, and they were most apologetic when I told them I didn't need them to order a saw for me.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: Sounds like you got a great deal @chainbrake.:rock2:

@chainbrake. Ran mine yesterday takin down a big ash. Never missed a beat.
View attachment 1136104View attachment 1136105
Late to this thread, haven’t been on here much lately. But congrats on the new saw and a great deal too, can’t beat a 400 as an all around saw. Mine runs a 28 and gets run hard, hasn’t missed a beat or needed anything but fuel and oil.
Glad to read your 400 does the work for you. So far, I have no complaints, but I haven't run it much - we had big wind for most of a week, and when it wasn't windy, I had building contractor stuff and family/Christmas stuff to do. I'll give it a workout next week.

Latest posts

Back