462 or 572?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn39

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. In the market for a bigger saw. I’m looking at the 70cc class with 24” bar.
Can’t decide between the 572 and 462. They both have thing I like and don’t like.
Not a fan of the 462 gas caps and rubber Av
572 don’t like the chain adjuster in the cover but like the springs for AV.
I know the 462 is lighter by a pound.looking for real world advice from people that have ran both saws.
In 2017 I bought a 5105 and now I heat my home entirely from wood and cutting 5 cords a year and some of the trees I’m cutting are 20 inch and over. Also have been clearing land.
Thanks for the info in advance

Hello everyone. In the market for a bigger saw. I’m looking at the 70cc class with 24” bar.
Can’t decide between the 572 and 462. They both have thing I like and don’t like.
Not a fan of the 462 gas caps and rubber Av
572 don’t like the chain adjuster in the cover but like the springs for AV.
I know the 462 is lighter by a pound.looking for real world advice from people that have ran both saws.
In 2017 I bought a 5105 and now I heat my home entirely from wood and cutting 5 cords a year and some of the trees I’m cutting are 20 inch and over. Also have been clearing land.
Thanks for the info in advance
Hey, just a correction, the 462 has spring av, not rubber. Go with whichever you prefer the feel of and has better dealer support near you. Both saws are excellent and will serve you well.

Hey, just a correction, the 462 has spring av, not rubber. Go with whichever you prefer the feel of and has better dealer support near you. Both saws are excellent and will serve you well.

Thanks for the correction on the AV.
Husky is on sale right now for 1,175 and the stihl is 1,519

Owned a 462.

Replaced stolen 462 with a 572.

Haven’t ran the 572 a whole bunch, but my initial impression is that the 462 is the superior saw.

Should have bought another 462.

I fondled both a 572 and 462 when I caught the fever and was wanting a new saw. I personally liked the feel of the 462 and bought one. I don't know which is faster, for farm use like I do it doesn't really matter. I'd buy the one that feels best in your hands and don't look back. Both are dang good saws

If you're still on the fence about it and want to try both, just PM me and we can find a time to meet up, looks like you are in the Edmonton area, I'm just a bit north closer to Smoky Lake so I could bring both saws out for you to try.
Well that would be really helpful.
I’m actually not in Edmonton I’m west of the city. I’m close to a small town called Peers.

Well that would be really helpful.
I’m actually not in Edmonton I’m west of the city. I’m close to a small town called Peers.
If you're still on the fence about it and want to try both, just PM me and we can find a time to meet up, looks like you are in the Edmonton area, I'm just a bit north closer to Smoky Lake so I could bring both saws out for you to try.

That sure we be helpful. There is nothing better then running the saw to determine if you like it.

I've run both. I have about 10 tanks on a 572 and a ton of time on a 462 because I bought one...I did end up selling my 462 because I bought a 500i and didn't pick up the 462 after that. Plus, my buddy needed a bigger saw so I got him a good deal on it.

In my opinion....I didn't see any real tangible benefits to the 572. I like the flippy caps so that's a plus for me. AV wasn't obviously better on either. The 572 did feel 'smoother' I guess, but it was also heavier. Both cut about the same as far as speed. I felt like I could cut longer with the 462. So that's what I bought.

I do feel the 462 is the better saw all around. I didn't see any real reason to pick the 572 unless you only have husky dealers or you want to stay brand loyal. Which is fine. It's definitely not a bad saw and will cut a **** ton of wood. You really can't go wrong either way.

I've run both. I have about 10 tanks on a 572 and a ton of time on a 462 because I bought one...I did end up selling my 462 because I bought a 500i and didn't pick up the 462 after that. Plus, my buddy needed a bigger saw so I got him a good deal on it.

In my opinion....I didn't see any real tangible benefits to the 572. I like the flippy caps so that's a plus for me. AV wasn't obviously better on either. The 572 did feel 'smoother' I guess, but it was also heavier. Both cut about the same as far as speed. I felt like I could cut longer with the 462. So that's what I bought.

I do feel the 462 is the better saw all around. I didn't see any real reason to pick the 572 unless you only have husky dealers or you want to stay brand loyal. Which is fine. It's definitely not a bad saw and will cut a **** ton of wood. You really can't go wrong either way.

Thanks for the reply.

What saw is you favorite out of the two?

I like the 462 more, but I would say if you can handle the weight of either get the cheaper option with the best dealer you have around.
What saw is you favorite out of the two?
If it was me I would by the 462 new a second time, but like I said before the lighter weight is definitely noticeable and like any autotune these days as dependable as they come.

Back