Can’t decide 572 or 462?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn39

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. In the market for a bigger saw. I’m looking at the 70cc class with 24” bar.
Can’t decide between the 572 and 462. They both have thing I like and don’t like.
Not a fan of the 462 gas caps and rubber Av
572 don’t like the chain adjuster in the cover but like the springs for AV.
I know the 462 is lighter by a pound.looking for real world advice from people that have ran both saws.
In 2017 I bought a 5105 and now I heat my home entirely from wood and cutting 5 cords a year and some of the trees I’m cutting are 20 inch and over. Also have been clearing land.
Thanks for the info in advance

Well, honestly can't go wrong with either. The 572xp is a great saw, my logging buddy has switched over to them a few years ago. Tad heavy in the hand imo, not as nimble as the 462. The 572 definatly has more torque for longer bars. Av and filtration on both is quite good. The tensioner in the cover doesn't bother me in the least, and not really prone to failure, so that wouldn't be a factor. Chip clearing while noodling goes to the 572, the new side covers stihl runs are pretty but jam up pretty quick, unless you swap out for the older versions/r series version. (There are some fancy aftermarket options too.) I think the stihl flippy caps suck, but it's something I've just gotten used to over the years.
I guess if I was forced to pick on, just having 2 saws I'd go with the 572, just on the off chance I had to run longer bars more frequently in the future.

Well, honestly can't go wrong with either. The 572xp is a great saw, my logging buddy has switched over to them a few years ago. Tad heavy in the hand imo, not as nimble as the 462. The 572 definatly has more torque for longer bars. Av and filtration on both is quite good. The tensioner in the cover doesn't bother me in the least, and not really prone to failure, so that wouldn't be a factor. Chip clearing while noodling goes to the 572, the new side covers stihl runs are pretty but jam up pretty quick, unless you swap out for the older versions/r series version. (There are some fancy aftermarket options too.) I think the stihl flippy caps suck, but it's something I've just gotten used to over the years.
I guess if I was forced to pick on, just having 2 saws I'd go with the 572, just on the off chance I had to run longer bars more frequently in the future.

O
Well thanks for the reply and info. It’s hard to decide when you do t get the chance to run any of them before buying. So just holding a saw in the store doesn’t really tell me a lot

Shame you aren’t closer to a member who has one or both to try out.

I prefer the way the 572 makes power and how it feels. I wanted to like the 462 more because it is lighter, which seems a good thing, but I didn’t. Same with the 500i. Do like the 400, though, so go figure.

But the real dealbreaker for me in the US is that I can get a 572 with heated handles and can’t get anything Stihl with heat anymore. Don’t foresee ever needing any more saws than I have now, but if I did, I would strongly prefer it to have heat.

Shame you aren’t closer to a member who has one or both to try out.

I prefer the way the 572 makes power and how it feels. I wanted to like the 462 more because it is lighter, which seems a good thing, but I didn’t. Same with the 500i. Do like the 400, though, so go figure.

But the real dealbreaker for me in the US is that I can get a 572 with heated handles and can’t get anything Stihl with heat anymore. Don’t foresee ever needing any more saws than I have now, but if I did, I would strongly prefer it to have heat.

ya that would be handy if I could find someone with both saws. Lol.
Thanks for the reply

I have only used the 462 but with a 24" bar it cuts very fast and I currently use it primarily for bucking larger logs for firewood or smaller stumps. I set the depth gauges at about .030 and the saw just melts through green wood or noodling a huge piece into quarters. After having back surgery a few years ago I always pick the lighter saw. Unless you perform all your own repairs and maintenance you might factor in which saw has better local/dealer support. Just my .02

I have only used the 462 but with a 24" bar it cuts very fast and I currently use it primarily for bucking larger logs for firewood or smaller stumps. I set the depth gauges at about .030 and the saw just melts through green wood or noodling a huge piece into quarters. After having back surgery a few years ago I always pick the lighter saw. Unless you perform all your own repairs and maintenance you might factor in which saw has better local/dealer support. Just my .02

If you’re not using the 462 what is this lighter saw you’re talking about? Dealer support is really in Edmonton for me. So that doesn’t play a factor into my decision and also I do most my pairs myself. The saw shop I will buy the saw from sells both brands.

I mean that since my back is less than perfect I always prefer the lighter weight saw because at the end of the day my back can tell the difference. Yes I am using the 462 which replaced my 044.

From what people tell me, there is very little to decide between them. Buy based how close you are to a dealer and how friendly you are with the dealer or how good you are at working on either huskies or stihls.

Personally for occasional use, I prefer the torque and robustness of a stihl MS460.

Wider power band, heavy but feels solid, oils decent for a new saw on the husky. Parts are also usually cheaper and can be purchased online.
462 is super light but still feels solid, screams w/ a 20", oiler is stingy on 24"+ bars, parts can only be had at dealers and pricey.
Both good saws and withstand tree work.

Back