Help deciding on Stihl Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fell some big trees (For Norway) yesterday and it was awesome. One of the trees must have been 28-30" range, so even bigger than my 20" bar, which is considered big here in Norway. Man the 500i is a mean machine. Can't wait to see after some more tanks :)

It is for sure on the bigger side of what i need, but bucking the big wood was such a breeze with the chain speed and power of this beast.

I'm so happy i went with the 500i, even though it does feel a bit heavy after a while.

The 500i is a heck of a saw. You might enjoy a 25" STIHL Light bar because:
  • They're the lightest light bar on the market.
  • Most people bend much less, saving their back and elbow joints.
  • It's safer regarding kickback.
  • The chain stays sharp longer since there are more cutters doing the work (unless you hit something like a nail or rock)
  • The chain stays cooler.
  • Depending on the job it may go faster and be less work.
A 25" bar is not always a better choice, it depends on your situation.

Congratulations on the decision!

I fell some big trees (For Norway) yesterday and it was awesome. One of the trees must have been 28-30" range, so even bigger than my 20" bar, which is considered big here in Norway. Man the 500i is a mean machine. Can't wait to see after some more tanks :)

It is for sure on the bigger side of what i need, but bucking the big wood was such a breeze with the chain speed and power of this beast.

I'm so happy i went with the 500i, even though it does feel a bit heavy after a while.
This is why you need 2 or 3 or 4 saws. A smaller saw for limbing save the 500 for the big wood.

And before you know it you hit the magical 10-saw limit. (which if you ever break and own 11 saws leads to C.A.D., in which case you're doomed!)
I'm safe for now only have 5 don't see an immediate need for more. I had them all out the other day working on a big white oak. They were all sitting in the tractor bucket and i kinda laughed as i thought a guy shouldn't need 3k in saws to cut up one tree.

I'm safe for now only have 5 don't see an immediate need for more. I had them all out the other day working on a big white oak. They were all sitting in the tractor bucket and i kinda laughed as i thought a guy shouldn't need 3k in saws to cut up one tree.
I agree, you (and I) could do with one all-round saw. Which I just bought as saw #10. BUT, since saws one through nine are so much fun, they might as well get used too. 😄

I agree, you (and I) could do with one all-round saw. Which I just bought as saw #10. BUT, since saws one through nine are so much fun, they might as well get used too. 😄
I'm not sure I'd like one saw i could do with 2 maybe. I'm pushing 70 so a big saw gets tiresome. I like a smaller saw for limbing and cutting small stuff but need a big saw for larger wood. When i was younger i got by with a 90cc johnsred as my only saw

Get as many as you want, life is short. Factoring in where Big Blue wants us all to go cordless, which have their own place of course. After they succeed in banning all 2 cycle saws, leaves us battery powered. But wait, they'll find a reason to ban those eventually. I'm sure we'll still be able to use hand crank wind up's, that is until OSHA steps in

After they succeed in banning all 2 cycle saws, leaves us battery powered. But wait, they'll find a reason to ban those eventually. I'm sure we'll still be able to use hand crank wind up's, that is until OSHA steps in
Lithium batteries are an environmental disaster, which is why mining, manufacturing, and recycling is banned in most first-world countries.

I have 11 chainsaws and am looking for number 12. I have my first chainsaw my Dad gave me for my 16th birthday. Stihl 026. I put a 16 inch bar on the old girl and she still screams on limb wood just fine. It's 34 years old! I have another 026 with a 20" bar my late brother in law left me. When I logged our ranch in the early 2000's I bought a 046 mag with a 32" and 066 mag with a 36" bar. My climbing saw is 200t. My father in law passed away last year and left me his MS362. This line up is all around really good but I wanted a quick easy button and bought a Dewalt Battery Chainsaw and a Stihl battery pole saw. They are excellent! That somehow wasn't enough so I picked up 2 blown up Huskies at garage sales. One 346xp and one 372xp. Both needed top end repairs so I bought those for around 75 bucks and the saws are shredding chips to this day. 3 years ago I got another Husky 562xp. I won at my local feed store raffle. Great all around saw. This is a 34 year collection of some great saws. I pick a different one almost every time I go out to cut depending on the situation and or cutting style. Variety is the spice of life! Enjoy!

Attachments

• 20240222_175429.jpg
    20240222_175429.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Back