Thinking about MS 400. Is my 462 a keeper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Null

Reaction score
Hello everyone, longtime reader, first time poster.

I’m not a tree professional, just a landowner who enjoys running saws to help myself and others. I appreciate high quality tools and am at a point in life where I can afford them even if they don’t always pay for themselves.

I grew up on heavily wooded acreage, running saws from a young age, but as an adult went many years without owning one. The first chainsaw I purchased with my own money was a Stihl MS 362 CM, purchased new in 2016 after doing a lot of research on this site. It was my “one chainsaw plan” and fulfilled that role admirably until 2020, when I added a 261 CM and 462 CM to the stable.

I do a mix of felling, bucking, limbing, and storm cleanup, mostly hardwoods. I rarely need more than a 24” bar. I don’t climb (but sometimes wish I did).

I love my 462, but don’t use it quite as much as I thought I would. The 261 punches above its weight, so it gets used more than I thought it would. And because I had a family neighbor in need of a good saw, I gave them my 362.

Now I find myself with a “two saw plan” comprising a 261 (18” .325) and 462 (24” & 28” 3/8 lightweights). However, I miss having an intermediate saw, and the MS 400 has caught my eye. If I bought one, I’d plan to run it with a 20” lightweight bar. Then, I’d probably acquire a full wrap handle for my 462 to further differentiate it from the 400. I don’t need the 400, but something about three saws feels better than two.

However, I’ve recently become aware that Stihl quietly redesigned the cylinder and piston on the 462 due to issues with pre-2020 units (my build date is October 2019). I bought my 462 thinking I’d keep it forever, but now I’m wondering what kind of long-term reliability I can reasonably expect. My specimen still has relatively low hours, and I run good oil (VP 40:1). It’s hard to assess the likelihood of running into problems.

So in my shoes, to return to a “thee saw plan” of a 261, 400, and 462, would you keep the Gen1 462 and invest in a full wrap handle, or would you sell the Gen1 and buy a Gen2 462 R CM? Or would you do something else entirely?

Thanks for reading.

It's a tuff call David. I have all 3 saws you have mentioned. I'm just a firewood hack. I haven't heard/seen much with issues on the 462. The only reason I have the 400 is my 261 and 462 got stolen(now recovered) and it was the biggest saw available during the covid crap. I find myself grabbing the 400 most of the time with the 261 next. I can tell a difference between the 462 and 400 but not much. I run a 20" bar on both.

A new 462 has more torque than it's predecessor, it's measurable. I'm not sure what you're after with it. I have 4 of them in different configurations for different things. I also have a 400 that I like. In my saw plan a 400 is an odd duck but we still use it for certain things.

If you're being practical a 462 and a 400 make no sense together, they are so close in size and feel it's pretty much pointless if you are remotely physically fit. But if you want it just to try it or just because then have at it.

A new 462 has more torque than it's predecessor, it's measurable. I'm not sure what you're after with it. I have 4 of them in different configurations for different things. I also have a 400 that I like. In my saw plan a 400 is an odd duck but we still use it for certain things.

If you're being practical a 462 and a 400 make no sense together, they are so close in size and feel it's pretty much pointless if you are remotely physically fit. But if you want it just to try it or just because then have at it.

Thanks for your perspective.

As far as what I’m after, I would never complain about more torque, but I’m primarily concerned with longevity. Is the 1st gen 462 a time bomb, or were the 2nd generation changes made to resolve a problem that’s fairly uncommon? I guess I’m feeling less confident about running this saw hard without knowing the likelihood of failure.

Also, when felling I do sometimes wish I had a saw with a full wrap handle. Seems to make more sense on the 462 than 400 for how I’d use them, which in turn makes the saws a bit less redundant. But it sounds like in my shoes maybe you’d consider a second 462 before getting a 400.

Thanks for your perspective.

As far as what I’m after, I would never complain about more torque, but I’m primarily concerned with longevity. Is the 1st gen 462 a time bomb, or were the 2nd generation changes made to resolve a problem that’s fairly uncommon? I guess I’m feeling less confident about running this saw hard without knowing the likelihood of failure.

Also, when felling I do sometimes wish I had a saw with a full wrap handle. Seems to make more sense on the 462 than 400 for how I’d use them, which in turn makes the saws a bit less redundant. But it sounds like in my shoes maybe you’d consider a second 462 before getting a 400.

I have 4 years of hard use on my early 462, it's alive and well.

There's guys on the internet that will make you overthink things.

I wouldn't have a 400 if I didn't trade for one, I figured what the hell..why not.

If you want a saw with a wrap handle and an oil pump that's efficient with a 24-28" bar a 462 is your ticket. If you buy a 400 and add the wrap kit and update the oiler you may as well have bought a 462...or..like I said..if you wanna play chainsaws like model airplanes then have at it.

Given that your Gen1 462 is still relatively low on hours and you're mindful of maintenance with quality oil, it might be worthwhile to stick with it. Still, if you've got the itch for something new, the Gen2 462 is still a solid move. It's a proven workhorse. Either way, I'd just like to say that having a mix of the 261, 462, and 400 is a sweet trifecta.

I have a older but not-to-dissimilar setup 028 and 460. Personally I think the 400 is too similar to either of them to need all three. For example the 462 would be great with a 20 inch bar. That said you loose money buying and selling saws and I like having a spare. If you really feel you need the 400, keep the 462 as a spare.

I personally think the 400 is too similar to the 462. Less than half a pound difference between them and the 462 has an additional 0.6 hp.

14ish years ago when money was tight, I bought my 361 since it's a great "one saw solution." Knowing what I know now, my ideal quiver of saws would be a 462 or 500i for a large saw, a 261 for a small saw, and a 201T top handle for small stuff. Since getting a 500i, I've barely used my 361 due to the weight penalty being relatively small while the power gain is huge. Now as much as I want a 261, I'm having a hard time justifying it since it's so close to the 361 and I'm the type that doesn't like to sell off old tools.

Dave,
I was holding out on posting because I’m not a professional nor do I do lots of tree work. I am an engineer that’s a full time farm and rancher. I just use my saws to clear a few trees a year, seasonal storm clean up, and for cutting 6 cords of firewood per year. I run short bar’s compared to most on here and cut hardwood 90% of the time.

I wanted a two saw plan. I originally went with the 261 and 400 which I thought I would have been set. But I was disappointed with the 400 because it didn’t have the amount of “more power” compared to the 261 that I was looking for. I then had to upgrade and was wanting the 462 for a step up but I purchased the 500i because I didn’t want to have another set of saw that I felt like they would be too close in cc’s, weight, and power to each other (being the 400 and 462). I did keep my 400 because I have family members that help cut firewood with me.

From my view point, time is money. And having to waste a day clearing a tree or cutting wood when I could be performing daily operations or corporate work, leads to lost income, adds to operational cost and decreases productivity. So with that in mind, a saw can pay for itself quickly.

If I were able to do it over again, and had this knowledge last year, I would have went with the 261 and the 462 as a perfect two saw plan that would have fit my needs.

My go to saw is the 261. It’s light and has great power compared to its size and weight, but it’s nice to know you have something bigger if needed.

With all that said, I would advise against getting the 400. It sounds like you have your grounds covered. I personally would run your 462 until you start having mechanical problems and then upgrade that point. Something better will be out by then.

I don't see a point in having a 462 and buying a 400.

If I were going to buy the 400 I would then sell the 462. I think the 400 is a bit too close to the 261 though honestly...

Honestly, what I would do in your situation would be to sell the 462 and buy the 500i.

I'm not a YouTube comparison person at all..but..steph is a good dude and did about as fair of a comparison as you're gonna find with these new 70ish cc saws.

If I was just a firewood cutter and had only 3 stihl saws that would cover big to small wood and some noodling in between, I'd get a 261/462/661 or a 241/400/661.

Youse guys are making me a feel all warm an fuzzy about my recent 462C FB snag, 3 months old AND barely run, pretty sure I just put the first sharpen on the 25" chain.
CAS? I didn't really NEED to replace the 440.
mebby I'll start watching for a 261 to replace the 028WB
I try to stay away from another 066/660 cuz they tempt me into dropping way more tree than I need to mess with. Not to mention they're mighty big n heavy.

If the 462 isn't right then I wouldn't go with a smaller less powerful saw. I think you probably should get a 660/661. I personally have a ms250, ms362, and a ms880 if I were to change anything I would get rid of that heavy 880 and get a 660 or 661, but the price was right for me it was a used saw that had some hiccups but I worked them out and it runs like a beast. I mean 40 plus inch oak that 880 shines it does out run a 660 but me being 6 foot about 200 pounds that 880 is too heavy to run all day. I run a tank of gas and I'm running to my 362 now after a tank or 2 with either of my other saws I will pick the 880 back up if I need to. Now my friends 660 I can run 2 or 3 tanks through it back to back.

I personally think the 400 is too similar to the 462. Less than half a pound difference between them and the 462 has an additional 0.6 hp.

14ish years ago when money was tight, I bought my 361 since it's a great "one saw solution." Knowing what I know now, my ideal quiver of saws would be a 462 or 500i for a large saw, a 261 for a small saw, and a 201T top handle for small stuff. Since getting a 500i, I've barely used my 361 due to the weight penalty being relatively small while the power gain is huge. Now as much as I want a 261, I'm having a hard time justifying it since it's so close to the 361 and I'm the type that doesn't like to sell off old tools.
We must’ve bought our 361’s at the same time! In 2018 when I began climbing trees and doing tree work, that was my only saw-well, I take that back. I also had a new 193T, as it was cheap and I didn’t know how long or if I was truly going to enjoy this work.
I remember being 100’ up in an old dying cedar, had a 25” bar on my 361 and I got into position ready to cut and the saw wouldn’t start! That’s when I bought my first 500i. I have since purchased a second 500i, a 261, a 201t and a T540i.. For climbing and dismantling a tree-I reach for the T540i almost 💯 of the time, unless there are huge limbs and a ton of em, then I’ll grab the 201.. Don’t remember the last time I started the 193..
I keep a 25” and a 32” bar on the 500i’s.. Seems like a good combination for chunking out these big conifers. I’ve got a couple of 066’s for big stump wood. One has a 42” bar and the other a 36” but have never taken them aloft.
I still use the 361. It’s a sweet saw still. Had to replace a few parts on the carb ( those rubber parts dry our) but she run great and is so balanced and smooth.
I have wanted an ms400 and an ms881 for over a year now but since I don’t have any ported saws yet, I figured one of those two would be my choice.

We must’ve bought our 361’s at the same time!
I'm just a homeowner that likes proper tools. The 361 has served me quite well over the years. This past year I was in need of a new septic system and a few very large ash trees needed to come down due to their proximity and because the emerald ash borer decimated them. I probably could have made the 361 work for cutting up a 48" ash but I convinced the wife I needed the 500i and wrote it into the cost of the septic system. I really wanted a 661 but save for 1 or 2 abnormally large trees in my area, the 500i is much more versatile. There was so much cleanup work involved I convinced her I needed a small limbing saw and also picked up the 201T.

The 500i has no problem with a 32" full comp chain in ash or red oak!

Attachments

• Ash_01.jpg
    Ash_01.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Ash_02.jpg
    Ash_02.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Ash_03.jpg
    Ash_03.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Ash_04.jpg
    Ash_04.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
If you read the internet long enough there will be an issue with every piece of equipment ever made.
Case in point. I own a Hyundai with the infamous 4 cylinder GDI motor. It should be blown up by now.
BUT, I believe in maintenance. 4 to 5000 mile oil changes and synthetic oil.
The failures I have seen had 10,00 mile oil changes and sludge
When there is a failure on anything look at how it is maintained.

As for revving out of the wood, when was that ever recommended for any two stroke motor?
If you got it , use it and maintain it. You will be fine.

If you read the internet long enough there will be an issue with every piece of equipment ever made.
Case in point. I own a Hyundai with the infamous 4 cylinder GDI motor. It should be blown up by now.
BUT, I believe in maintenance. 4 to 5000 mile oil changes and synthetic oil.
The failures I have seen had 10,00 mile oil changes and sludge
When there is a failure on anything look at how it is maintained.

As for revving out of the wood, when was that ever recommended for any two stroke motor?
If you got it , use it and maintain it. You will be fine.
I guess you havn`t worked/cut with a gang of throttle blippers that spend about the same amount of time blipping the saw as they spend actually cutting wood. I have been told by members on here that throttle blipping is perfectly fine as it helps cool the engine and or clears chips from the chain bar. In my case I even fired my own brother from a crew for throttle blipping needlessly.

Latest posts

Back