New saw help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase a new saw for use on my property. I will be using it for property maintenance, clearing trails and deadfall and firewood processing. My largest trees are 36” and are not many.
My local dealer offers great support for Stihl and is slowly moving away from Husky, but there is another shop in town that deals with Husky.

I was looking hard at the MS 462 C-M which the dealer has in stock at $1400 Canadian. He then offered the Husky 562 for $1000 or the Husky 585 for the same as the 462. I'd really like to buy just one saw for at least the next few years as I just retired and need to be financially smart. Would it be worth waiting for the new 562 mk ii?
Thanks

I'd get something smaller 40-50cc so its light and easy to run all day or at minimum half a day without taking many breaks. A pro saw in the mid to upper 50cc range can run a 20-24" bar capable of cutting through almost double its own bar length if cut from both sides and a shorter lighter bar installed for everything else to save weight and increase cutting speed. If you have several large 30+ inch diameter trees you need to address now then yes I would go for the 20+lb 70+cc power head.
For myself its all about fatigue and a heavy saw causes back and shoulder fatigue cutting smaller trunks and branches for hours while a larger heavier saw eats big wood in a heartbeat and the trunk hold the saws weight.

I’m looking to purchase a new saw for use on my property. I will be using it for property maintenance, clearing trails and deadfall and firewood processing. My largest trees are 36” and are not many.
My local dealer offers great support for Stihl and is slowly moving away from Husky, but there is another shop in town that deals with Husky.

I was looking hard at the MS 462 C-M which the dealer has in stock at $1400 Canadian. He then offered the Husky 562 for $1000 or the Husky 585 for the same as the 462. I'd really like to buy just one saw for at least the next few years as I just retired and need to be financially smart. Would it be worth waiting for the new 562 mk ii?
Thanks
I don't think I'd want a 70cc saw as my ONLY saw due to weight unless I was dealing with 30" and larger trees constantly. You need to be honest with yourself about what you really are cutting often. If you're usually dealing with branches, limb work, fallen trees under 24" etc etc you might want to steer closer to a 50cc saw. They really are more enjoyable to use and easier on the body.

My family has Stihl, Husky, Echo, etc saws ranging from 40cc to 70cc sizes. I can honestly say that you don't NEED a 70cc saw to do most of the work you're describing-it just makes things go faster. Also, the weight of a 70cc gets old fast if you are working for an extended period. I'm not exactly a small guy (6'2 220 pounds) and I prefer reaching for the 50cc saw for tree work (unless I'm bucking big stuff or need to take down something big).

If I was in your boat and could only afford ONE saw I'd probably look at the following options depending on the property:

-Stihl MS400 with 25" light bar (67cc, 12.8 pounds, low vibration)

-Husqvarna 550XP mark II with 20" standard bar (50cc, 11.7 pounds, powerful for size, can manage larger trees if you're patient just fine)

I don't recommend the MS261 with a 20" bar because the balance isn't very good and it's awkward to handle, whereas the Husky balances just fine with a 20". Yes, we own the MS261 and the 550xp MkII so I speak from experience and frequent use. I wouldn't want an 18" bar saw as my only saw.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of 60cc saws (562xp/MS362) as they've always been the worst of both worlds for me. They're heavier than 50cc saws but not that much stronger.

I'm a firm believer in having a two saw plan when possible. Owning a light 42-50cc saw and then having a 70-80cc size saw for big stuff and long bars (28"-32") makes life easy. That's expensive if you go with Stihl products, but can be reasonable if you look at Echo or Husky.

Hope this helps.

I don't think I'd want a 70cc saw as my ONLY saw due to weight unless I was dealing with 30" and larger trees constantly. You need to be honest with yourself about what you really are cutting often. If you're usually dealing with branches, limb work, fallen trees under 24" etc etc you might want to steer closer to a 50cc saw. They really are more enjoyable to use and easier on the body.

My family has Stihl, Husky, Echo, etc saws ranging from 40cc to 70cc sizes. I can honestly saw that you don't NEED a 70cc saw to do most of the work you're describing-it just makes things go faster. Also, the weight of a 70cc gets old fast if you are working for an extended period. I'm not exactly a small guy (6'2 220 pounds) and I prefer reaching for the 50cc saw for tree work (unless I'm bucking big stuff or need to take down something big).

If I was in your boat and could only afford ONE saw I'd probably look at the following options depending on the property:

-Stihl MS400 with 25" light bar (67cc, 12.8 pounds, low vibration)

-Husqvarna 550XP mark II with 20" standard bar (50cc, 11.7 pounds, powerful for size, can manage larger trees if you're patient just fine)

I don't recommend the MS261 with a 20" bar because the balance isn't very good and it's awkward to handle, whereas the Husky balances just fine with a 20". Yes, we own the MS261 and the 550xp MkII so I speak from experience and frequent use. I wouldn't want an 18" bar saw as my only saw.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of 60cc saws (562xp/MS362) as they've always been the worst of both worlds for me. They're heavier than 50cc saws but not that much stronger.

I'm a firm believer in having a two saw plan when possible. Owning a light 42-50cc saw and then having a 70-80cc size saw for big stuff and long bars (28"-32") makes life easy. That's expensive if you go with Stihl products, but can be reasonable if you look at Echo or Husky.

Hope this helps.
The 562 will cover all your needs by the sounds of it. They are in the 60 cc class but cut like the devil. 462 are nice if you want a bit bigger saw. I think the 585 would be overkill

Fwiw, I’ve got 346, 372,390,and a 395. I use the 346 the most and there really isn’t much it can’t do if you just realize you’ll have to double cut occasionally. However I do like not having to bend over using 28” bars on 70cc saws too. If I could have a 1 saw plan I’d likely go the 60cc husky route because to me the husqvarna saws are simply more ergonomic and easier on the body as well as easier to start than Stihl.

I am really leaning towards the 562 mk2 but my two dealers have not even heard of the MK2’s.

I am really leaning towards the 562 mk2 but my two dealers have not even heard of the MK2’s.
If you're determined to get a 60cc saw there's no way I would get the current 562xp. They've made far too many updates and improvements to the Mk II to overlook it.

Dealers know about it but they want to get rid of existing inventory before they put it on the floor. Some play dumb, one of my local dealers was blunt when confronted and just said they're not ordering new saws until the old saws are sold. That said, deliveries are expected to start in early Q1 2024.

I should also point out that the MS400 is a bit lighter than the 562xp, more powerful and currently available.

If you're determined to get a 60cc saw there's no way I would get the current 562xp. They've made far too many updates and improvements to the Mk II to overlook it.

Dealers know about it but they want to get rid of existing inventory before they put it on the floor. Some play dumb, one of my local dealers was blunt when confronted and just said they're not ordering new saws until the old saws are sold. That said, deliveries are expected to start in early Q1 2024.

I should also point out that the MS400 is a bit lighter than the 562xp, more powerful and currently available.
It’s not that I’m determined to have a 60cc saw. I have used both the 550 and the 572 and I really liked how much quicker the 572 was, but it it a bit on the heavy side. I figured I’d split the difference between weight and power and be a happy camper. I’m seeing now that this may not be the case and I really should look at a two saw set up.

You say that you are looking for a "new saw".
What saw are you using at the moment? What do you like about it, and not like about it? That info would likely get you an even higher level of feedback quality from this forum, which has lots of experience (and opinions :p) to share.
I agree with all that has been said above regarding power, weight, bar length, fatigue (and safety).
If you are not going to maintain the new saw yourself, the dealer relationship is important. Stihl and Husky both make solid saws.
Dealers tend to try to sell a bigger saw than you actulally need for obvious reasons.
My recommendation is to buy the smallest saw that you can manage your property with.
I am not sure of your age/health/level of fitness, but "lighter" is easier, more fun and safer "today", and definately so, "tomorrow".
You might consider a MS-261 with a light 20 bar...

The 462 is one of Stihls legacy saws but I do agree with others about it being too much to limb with and perform general cleanup for any length of time.
But that is the saw I grab (460) when bucking firewood or other scenarios where I don't have to support the saw much in the cut.

Edit: MS400 is a great saw and I'm sure you would not be disappointed from a performance perspective. But, in my opinion, it is so close in weight to the 462 I'd probably pick the 462. There is less than .5lb difference. The 462 is makes more.power and will pull a bigger bar if needed.

You say that you are looking for a "new saw".
What saw are you using at the moment? What do you like about it, and not like about it? That info would likely get you an even higher level of feedback quality from this forum, which has lots of experience (and opinions :p) to share.
I agree with all that has been said above regarding power, weight, bar length, fatigue (and safety).
If you are not going to maintain the new saw yourself, the dealer relationship is important. Stihl and Husky both make solid saws.
Dealers tend to try to sell a bigger saw than you actulally need for obvious reasons.
My recommendation is to buy the smallest saw that you can manage your property with.
I am not sure of your age/health/level of fitness, but "lighter" is easier, more fun and safer "today", and definately so, "tomorrow".
You might consider a MS-261 with a light 20 bar...
A bit more info for everyone,

I’m 43, retired Soldier (22yr career) and still workout daily. I do have plenty of experience with saws, but since retiring I don’t have access to them anymore. I have an old crappy outlet type that I received from my brother before he passed away.
I have used the 572xp, 550xp and the 462CM all with 20” bars. I’m very comfortable with handling and usage. I have two dealers in town, one is transitioning to Stihl only and the other supports both Stihl and Husky. I also have an Echo dealer close by. I really prefer the feel of the Husky but that could be because that’s just what I had most often with me. My uses will be for firewood as that’s how we heat our home as well as clearing deadfall and trails. It will also live in my truck when I’m out fishing and hunting to clear deadfall off the roads.

IMO you will do fine with a 70cc or larger. bar length can be determined by your height. I’m 5’ 10” and prefer 24”, sometimes 28” for most situations. At you age and condition the little bit of extra weight won’t bother you and, you’ll finish a lot faster.
my 1-saw plan for years was my 066 with 24” bar. I have up to 42” when needed.

The least time spent in handling firewood is the cutting. The difference in time spent using a 90cc saw vs a 50cc saw is a mute point, unless the wood is huge. Once you guys get a bit older you will pick up the big saw only when necessary...

A nice 50cc saw is generally all anyone needs to cut firewood, clear trails, and do tree maintenance. Most of the time..

A one saw plan is 60cc. But since "one is none" (I only heard that term recently, but have (mostly) lived by it my whole life), it is not a good plan. You need more than one saw. It could include a 60cc saw, but is better served with a 30, a 50, and a 70-90. Expensive proposition! However, you could buy a sweet pro 50cc saw, either husky or stihl and a couple of chinese (shudder!) saws to cover the other ends of the spectrum.

I bought a zenoah 2500 copy in about march off of amazon. It's a little 25cc top-handle saw with the proyama name on it. It felt really weird in the hands at first but fairly quickly became familiar. I wanted a tiny saw to have in/on the primary haying/chore tractor because I hadn't found any decent way to carry any other of my saws on the tractors. The little thing fits perfectly on the off-side steps held securely with a couple of short bungees (because one is none). Anyway, at this point I like it so much I decided I never want to be without one of these things, so I bought a "chainsaw" chainsaw too. That just makes me chuckle. In the meantime I had gained some confidence in these chinese copies and I bought a 660 clone too. That thing just rips! with wicked throttle response and what seems to be never-ending torque.

So those are my three cheap saws. It turned out that I cut at least 1/2 of my firewood with the wee top handles (3-ish cords). They are just so convenient. I think I would prefer a tiny rear handle saw but whatever, I'm not gonna buy an overpriced little homeowner husky or stihl (they are built far more cheaply than the chinese saws) and I'm not gonna spend 7-900 dollars on a pro arborist saw. Oh, and I had after-the-sale interaction with both Proyama and Neotec customer service and I gotta say that it was excellent! This was not about any deficiencies in the saws, btw. In the case of neotec, the saw shipped had the ****** foam filter and cover, where the amazon pictures showed a normal cover and filter, which I wanted. No questions asked, they sent me the correct parts. I have the other stuff in a bag. Proyama contacted me to make a video review of their saw. Well, I made the video with my phone but couldn't post it. Oh well. The back and forth with proyama was excellent too. Those two outfits were far better than most of my "customer service" interactions I have had with almost any companies reps in the last several years, btw.

Aside from those cheap saws I have about 10 others that are all pro saws of husky, jonsered, stihl and dolmar brands. I also have an Echo 590, which is a very good saw for what it is: the best 60cc "farm saw".

What a rambling mess I weave. Sheesh. Anyway Rugger, I would be choosing a pro saw of a convenient size that will do most of your work. For most people, that is 40-60cc. Be realistic.

Me, I'd get a 261 or a mkII 550 knowing that it might spend some time back at a dealer because they really don't have this computer controlled carburetor stuff fully figured out yet. There are still issues, especially in very cold or very hot weather. But for the most part they are mostly trouble free, I guess. And they are simply a pleasure to run. I've run them both. Then I'd get one of those little chinese top handles and a chinese 660 copy. You are now about the cost of that 462 and you have three saws to cover anything, even milling a few boards out of those few big trees..

Or not..

Or wait for the mkII 562.

I said "me, I'd buy" up there...well I actually wouldn't cause I have no need. I prefer older, non-strato, non moronic or autoboom saws. I will likely never have one. I have seen some troubles...I've run several and they are sweet! I've owned a couple of stratos. They went down the road in near new condition. Nothing wrong with them, but I realized that generally, the stratos do not last as long as previously.

Oh, and both Husky and Stihl, and Echo, for that matter, should be forever ashamed of the way they treated customers during the evolution of the epa saws.

A bit more info for everyone,

I’m 43, retired Soldier (22yr career) and still workout daily. I do have plenty of experience with saws, but since retiring I don’t have access to them anymore. I have an old crappy outlet type that I received from my brother before he passed away.
I have used the 572xp, 550xp and the 462CM all with 20” bars. I’m very comfortable with handling and usage. I have two dealers in town, one is transitioning to Stihl only and the other supports both Stihl and Husky. I also have an Echo dealer close by. I really prefer the feel of the Husky but that could be because that’s just what I had most often with me. My uses will be for firewood as that’s how we heat our home as well as clearing deadfall and trails. It will also live in my truck when I’m out fishing and hunting to clear deadfall off the roads.
Thank you for your service.

The additional background is helpful. Honestly, save some money and get a 550xp Mk II with a 20" bar and narrow kerf chain. It's very powerful for a 50cc and cuts fast. Even though I own both the 572xp and 550xp MK II -I can tell you it's more fun using the 550xp and easier to carry around and use. You can get one for $599 at some places right now.

If it winds up not being enough for you down the road you can always get the bigger and pricier saw.

Thank you for your service.

The additional background is helpful. Honestly, save some money and get a 550xp Mk II with a 20" bar and narrow kerf chain. It's very powerful for a 50cc and cuts fast. Even though I own both the 572xp and 550xp MK II -I can tell you it's more fun using the 550xp and easier to carry around and use. You can get one for $599 at some places right now.

If it winds up not being enough for you down the road you can always get the bigger and pricier saw.

OP is Canadian. The 550 is more canadian bucks here. Much more.

I agree with your 50cc recommendation. Except with a 16-18" bar.

OP is Canadian. The 550 is more canadian bucks here. Much more.

I agree with your 50cc recommendation. Except with a 16-18" bar.
I overlooked the Canadian bit. However, his original post mentioned 36" trees which is not something that a 16" or even 18" bar is well suited to dealing with unless you want a challenge. The 20" bar balances level on the 550xp Mk II and gives better reaching for limbing and ground work.

I ran an original 550. It would stall at the merest suggestion of a pinch. This with a 16" bar. Otherwise it was a delightfully snappy thing with superior antivibe and nice handling.

Maybe the mkII is a little torquier, idk.

Latest posts

Back