New 40cc saw guidance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My advice on a 40cc saw is to skip it and go with a Stihl 261 with a 16" bar, it's light and powerful. I had a 241 cm and sold it, when this old man needs a light rear handle saw, I reach for my 261 cm with a 16" bar.

My advice on a 40cc saw is to skip it and go with a Stihl 261 with a 16" bar, it's light and powerful. I had a 241 cm and sold it, when this old man needs a light rear handle saw, I reach for my 261 cm with a 16" bar.
I will not disagree that the 261 is an AWESOME saw. It's just too close to the 362 to be worth buying that. Last year I would have been ALL OVER. The 261 16" and 462 28" combo but after using my 362 for storm cleanup in the summer for about 4-5 hours, I realized I really did not want an even heavier saw.

I am a big fan of the CS-400. I also have it's replacement in the Echo lineup, the 4010. I haven't run that one enough to form a strong opinion. It's slightly bulkier than the 400 with a few plastic pieces that seem flimsy. I like the filter and top cover better on the 400. I also like the 400's controls better. The 4010 has spring AV whereas the 400 just has rubber. The 4010 also has a strato engine so maybe it's better on fuel.
For me, 40cc is a niche saw. It's the perfect size to throw in the truck for hunting or construction projects. It makes a nice companion to bigger saws when cutting firewood. With a muffler mod and a little tuning the CS-400 is a sweetheart. I don't run mine the way a pro would, in fact I baby it. In my limited experience, Echo makes way better consumer level products than Stihl or Husky. Compared to the current Poulans and Homelites, etc it's not even close.
All that being said, it sounds like what you want is the Husky. Buy what you really want the first time and don't look back. Personally, I would never use such a tool to it's full potential but I would still appreciate the quality.

As for Echo's new naming convention, it works like this: "XXYZ". XX is the displacement, Y is the model, Z is the model revision. It looks like they are dropping a lot of older models lately and the new ones use this four digit naming scheme. The "X" Series are their pro level tools, though I am not sure they can really hang with the pro level Stihl and Husky products, at least where saws are concerned.

I will not disagree that the 261 is an AWESOME saw. It's just too close to the 362 to be worth buying that. Last year I would have been ALL OVER. The 261 16" and 462 28" combo but after using my 362 for storm cleanup in the summer for about 4-5 hours, I realized I really did not want an even heavier saw.
This is the reason why a tiny 40cc saw went in my box. Storms and busting up tops. It replaced the chatty 018/180s I would wear out every year. Doing much less now so the 435 doesn't get beat for ten tanks a day. It takes to ten inch dry hardwoods just fine. It is due for a bar rehab and a new spur drive. Probably could use lines and tank vent also. Definitely ready to be torn down and some spa time this winter in the big USC. It is being replaced with a custom built by me MS200

I am a big fan of the CS-400. I also have it's replacement in the Echo lineup, the 4010. I haven't run that one enough to form a strong opinion. It's slightly bulkier than the 400 with a few plastic pieces that seem flimsy. I like the filter and top cover better on the 400. I also like the 400's controls better. The 4010 has spring AV whereas the 400 just has rubber. The 4010 also has a strato engine so maybe it's better on fuel.
For me, 40cc is a niche saw. It's the perfect size to throw in the truck for hunting or construction projects. It makes a nice companion to bigger saws when cutting firewood. With a muffler mod and a little tuning the CS-400 is a sweetheart. I don't run mine the way a pro would, in fact I baby it. In my limited experience, Echo makes way better consumer level products than Stihl or Husky. Compared to the current Poulans and Homelites, etc it's not even close.
All that being said, it sounds like what you want is the Husky. Buy what you really want the first time and don't look back. Personally, I would never use such a tool to it's full potential but I would still appreciate the quality.

As for Echo's new naming convention, it works like this: "XXYZ". XX is the displacement, Y is the model, Z is the model revision. It looks like they are dropping a lot of older models lately and the new ones use this four digit naming scheme. The "X" Series are their pro level tools, though I am not sure they can really hang with the pro level Stihl and Husky products, at least where saws are concerned.
The ported Echo and Shindiawas have been holding up very well in commercial wood lot environments. Only part time use but three and two years in the 600SX and the CS501SXH is doing very well. Yes, it was imported for the heat. Next up is digging even deeper into my biggest saws and the new 400C.

Would you spend the money modding on working over this little 40cc saw you speak of the 4010?

Would you spend the money modding on working over this little 40cc saw you speak of the 4010?
To be honest I will probably give it to my dad once it gets dialed in. I don't think you need to muffler mod them because the strato engine means no cat (I think). If I knew how to port saws and all that stuff I might try it but I can't see paying someing to supe up such an inexpensive saw.

I’ve been really happy with the 543xp. It handles like a 242xp did, which is not something the 346xp, 261, or 550 MK2 can say. The frequent refrain to “just get a 261” or 550 seems to disregard the handling issue. They don’t handle the same and if you want that small chassis nimble feel, 543xp is your best choice.

Mine is ported and runs a 13” 325” setup.

I’ve been really happy with the 543xp. It handles like a 242xp did, which is not something the 346xp, 261, or 550 MK2 can say. The frequent refrain to “just get a 261” or 550 seems to disregard the handling issue. They don’t handle the same and if you want that small chassis nimble feel, 543xp is your best choice.

Mine is ported and runs a 13” 325” setup.
The problem with the handling aspect in stihl land is the 241 and 261 are the same chassis. You're not gaining any real weight savings from using the 241 and you're loosing noticeable power over the 261. It's a bit more clear cut in the husqy line up when it comes to weight and power, husqy making most their saws into tanks recently.

The problem with the handling aspect in stihl land is the 241 and 261 are the same chassis. You're not gaining any real weight savings from using the 241 and you're loosing noticeable power over the 261. It's a bit more clear cut in the husqy line up when it comes to weight and power, husqy making most their saws into tanks recently.
Unless you cut side by side with them you won't see the speed in the 241. I don't like the 261 for many reasons.

Unless you cut side by side with them you won't see the speed in the 241. I don't like the 261 for many reasons.
Unless I grab up a nice used one for cheap, I'll never run one. Ran 024's a handful of times and never been impressed, vs an 026/260. They would have had to shave some weight amd be significantly faster for me to consider then with all the 40cc options out right now.

You all have been very helpful in this process and I appreciate everyone's opinion and views. I went to a dealer that had a 543xp and I was able to look at it and feel the balance/weight. The 543 carries it weight very well with a 16" bar BUT the weight is still there. I compared it to a saw that was not really on my radar, a MS180 (homeowner saw) that weighs about what the 540xp is speced to weigh and that one pound was VERY noticeable! Of course the 540xp is not available at the store, and would not be eligible for any discounts as it would be a special order so the cost factor is REAL.

To add to my options I found a redmax GZ4350 for only $350 new. since this is pretty much a 543xp, that adds some complexity to the cost/benefit side of the equation as well. As it is now in the same price range as the echos and has much more power (but about 1.5 lbs heavier) and is more than $300 cheaper than the 540XP

After swinging around the 543xp in the store, I am sure I would be happier with this if I had to repeat the 4-5 hour tornado cleanup than I did with my 362 running the 24" bar. But it still feels heavy, and has some dated tech (like the AV bumpers vs springs, and lack of autotune.

You all have been very helpful in this process and I appreciate everyone's opinion and views. I went to a dealer that had a 543xp and I was able to look at it and feel the balance/weight. The 543 carries it weight very well with a 16" bar BUT the weight is still there. I compared it to a saw that was not really on my radar, a MS180 (homeowner saw) that weighs about what the 540xp is speced to weigh and that one pound was VERY noticeable! Of course the 540xp is not available at the store, and would not be eligible for any discounts as it would be a special order so the cost factor is REAL.

To add to my options I found a redmax GZ4350 for only $350 new. since this is pretty much a 543xp, that adds some complexity to the cost/benefit side of the equation as well. As it is now in the same price range as the echos and has much more power (but about 1.5 lbs heavier) and is more than $300 cheaper than the 540XP

After swinging around the 543xp in the store, I am sure I would be happier with this if I had to repeat the 4-5 hour tornado cleanup than I did with my 362 running the 24" bar. But it still feels heavy, and has some dated tech (like the AV bumpers vs springs, and lack of autotune.
Dated, yup.

The gz4350 is a 543xp, just redmax/zenoah branded. If I found one for $350 it would be mine in a hot second.

Dated, yup.
But this may not necessarily be a bad thing :) dated=proven at times
The gz4350 is a 543xp, just redmax/zenoah branded. If I found one for $350 it would be mine in a hot second.
Two places online selling them for this price. Read somewhere the 543xp was on closeout at a few places for around this price as well.. I have not found those.

I decided I am going to get the 4350, and hopefully I did not choose wrong on this one. But its even $50 cheaper than the echo 361p I was also looking at....

But this may not necessarily be a bad thing :) dated=proven at times

Two places online selling them for this price. Read somewhere the 543xp was on closeout at a few places for around this price as well.. I have not found those.

I decided I am going to get the 4350, and hopefully I did not choose wrong on this one. But its even $50 cheaper than the echo 361p I was also looking at....
Dated won't work for me. I now have arthritis in my hands. Only the better or best AV will do for me now on the ground. I might even build another 018 with a 12" bar to compliment the new 200 I'm piecing together. The 201 anything just feels like mush to me. Most of my time will be on a Dolkita chassis now and the ms361 or 2. If I do ever get a 661 it will have a bow on it. The 435 big box store still hasn't gotten kicked out of my toolbox yet. I did notice the tank vent is starting to seep while doing some cleanup of a dead oak I flopped last week.

The dated part part is mostly good on known engines. They all have issues just some less then others until they get updated. They made millions of those 43x 43xxx so no worries. Parts are global.

Latest posts

Back