7310 Owners, still happy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toppers

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My situation: I have a 261CM and a 620P. Love both and the 620p is muffler modded and just eats stuff. BUT occasionally I am dealing with 30" hardwood and it just feels like the 620 is working outside of it's limits. I know a 620 is close to a 7310 but I'm getting that new saw itch and wondering if I would love this saw being so close to a 60cc. I have an opportunity to get a brand new one for $800 w/ bar and chain.

I had looked at a 500i but I prefer the 7310 for the
-simplicity, no long term electronics
-cost savings
-big torque
-best air filtration in industry
-stellar Echo reliability

I know the biggest con is: weight

So are 7310 owners still happy with their saws after a couple years?

My situation: I have a 261CM and a 620P. Love both and the 620p is muffler modded and just eats stuff. BUT occasionally I am dealing with 30" hardwood and it just feels like the 620 is working outside of it's limits. I know a 620 is close to a 7310 but I'm getting that new saw itch and wondering if I would love this saw being so close to a 60cc. I have an opportunity to get a brand new one for $800 w/ bar and chain.

-cost savings
-big torque

Have you run ported saws before, those 7310 are really nice saw ported ,

I bought the Echo CS7310, and i`ve been very happy with it. It gobbles up everything i`ve put it through. Starts very easily. It`s been super reliable.
Shortly after i bought the 7310, i went back and bought the last CS4910 they had in the showroom. That saw is a nice saw too.
I love the fact that neither of these 2 saws have all that electronic stuff in them. I can adjust the carb when i want, too.
I run Echo RedArmor gas and Echo chain lube in both mine. Both saws have been more reliable than my Sthil`s.

If you can buy a new CS7310 for $800, you better BUY IT! I don`t believe you would be disappointed in it for the money spent.
After a few tanks of fuel, these saws wake right up pretty good! I can`t tell you about their warranty, i`ve never had to use it.

I`ve got an old Echo weed trimmer that i bought back in the 1980`s, never been torn down, still runs every year, refuses to die.
That`s what made me turn to Echo this time, when i needed a dependable chainsaw(s). Reliability and quality, it`s there.

I know my opinion don`t mean much, but after running Sthil in all of my 64yrs, Echo gets my money these days.
And all the lawn care businesses in my area only run Echo products. Makes ya wonder why. :)

EDIT:
I didn`t buy the 7310 for the weight issue. I`ve run many a saw that were heavier, and they didn`t run near as smooth or as good as the CS7310.

I have a user running his modded for over a year now. The 6xx series I ported keeps up with the modded 7310 pretty good. The 501SXH is a little monster ported.
He runs full comp 28 and 30 375 050 round filed on the 600 and the 7310. Little 501 saw is 18 going to a 24 and used as bucking only firewood lot saws.
The 7310 will be ported this winter and another new 600SX as a backup. 7310 has some odd triport transfers. The don't have any grunt in stock trim imho. The tool has been fine with no known issues so far. These are used in all large hardwoods.

-cost savings
-big torque

That's a good price for sure and the saw would be a step-up from your 620p no doubt. I'm an Echo fan myself and think they make reliable, simple and durable saws.

That said, for not much more money ($1,000) you could get into a Husqvarna 572xp which is a more powerful saw with greater sophistication. The Husky automatically adjusts to the weather temperature and load and lets you focus on simply pulling the cord and cutting. You can also get a five year warranty from Husky just like the Echo if you buy a gallon of their fuel at purchase.

Don't get overly worried about electronics. Despite all the stories you read on the Internet I've never had a single issue with my Husqvarnas and thousands of tree workers rely on them daily just like Stihl. Their pro saws are very high quality and the early days of the auto carbs are well behind us.

I don’t own a 7310 but I have owned several Husqy and Echo (Stihl as well), pro saws. I’m down to just Husqy and Echo. In my hands, Echos last longer and are the least fussy and most reliable. I have a Husqy 395, and when people see me running it and ask my opinion of how it compares to the Echos, I start by telling them I like it but if Echo made a 95cc saw, I’d trade in a heartbeat. Reliability and problem free operation are my number one criteria for where and how I cut. Echo is going through some makeovers that I’m not sure about right note with some of their saws but I think the 7310 is on the right track.

-cost savings
-big torque

If your 5 criteria for preferring the 7310 are really important, vs just owning a Stihl, then there’s your easy answer.

I don’t own a 7310 but I have owned several Husqy and Echo (Stihl as well), pro saws. I’m down to just Husqy and Echo. In my hands, Echos last longer and are the least fussy and most reliable. I have a Husqy 395, and when people see me running it and ask my opinion of how it compares to the Echos, I start by telling them I like it but if Echo made a 95cc saw, I’d trade in a heartbeat. Reliability and problem free operation are my number one criteria for where and how I cut. Echo is going through some makeovers that I’m not sure about right note with some of their saws but I think the 7310 is on the right track.
Just curious , what issues do you have with 395. ?

Just curious , what issues do you have with 395. ?
Mostly the plug wire getting eaten by the cylinder head because of a very poor method of routing and lack of shrouding. Also the housing bolts absolutely need locktite upon purchase, and need to be checked on often. Not a huge problem but every Husqy I’ve owned has had this issue. Also muffler bolts, if that’s not caught soon enough, you have big issues. Luckily I’ve looked after it and haven’t. The saw also takes muffler damage like no other saw I’ve owned so I have extra mufflers on hand. Don’t get me wrong, I like it but it’s not put together near as good as any comparable size or smaller Echo in any one of those regards.

I have a user running his modded for over a year now. The 6xx series I ported keeps up with the modded 7310 pretty good. The 501SXH is a little monster ported.
He runs full comp 28 and 30 375 050 round filed on the 600 and the 7310. Little 501 saw is 18 going to a 24 and used as bucking only firewood lot saws.
The 7310 will be ported this winter and another new 600SX as a backup. 7310 has some odd triport transfers. The don't have any grunt in stock trim imho. The tool has been fine with no known issues so far. These are used in all large hardwoods.
I`m curious what "mods" were done on the CS7310 you`re talking about. And how much improvement did you really see or notice after the mod(s).

I`ve watched quite a few videos on some people with their CS7310`s ported, it`s quite the improvement i guess, but an old fella like me, i`ll never do that to mine, as i`m plenty happy with mine just tuning it, keep my chain sharp, good gas & oil, its plenty enough saw for what i do with it. I like the earlier torque of the 7310 vs any other saws i own. It`s not a "HOT SAW" and i don`t expect it to perform like one. I like the fact that it is very reliable, very smooth, very easy to operate, its easy on gas & oil, and cuts the hardwoods i have with no effort. I let the saw do the work. I`m just there to feed it.

Porting/Ported saws aren`t for everyone. At some point, i personally think you start going backwards in the reliability and life of an engine when you start pushing things alot harder.

I`m curious what "mods" were done on the CS7310 you`re talking about. And how much improvement did you really see or notice after the mod(s).

I`ve watched quite a few videos on some people with their CS7310`s ported, it`s quite the improvement i guess, but an old fella like me, i`ll never do that to mine, as i`m plenty happy with mine just tuning it, keep my chain sharp, good gas & oil, its plenty enough saw for what i do with it. I like the earlier torque of the 7310 vs any other saws i own. It`s not a "HOT SAW" and i don`t expect it to perform like one. I like the fact that it is very reliable, very smooth, very easy to operate, its easy on gas & oil, and cuts the hardwoods i have with no effort. I let the saw do the work. I`m just there to feed it.

Porting/Ported saws aren`t for everyone. At some point, i personally think you start going backwards in the reliability and life of an engine when you start pushing things alot harder.
First off anything subjected to more stress wears faster. If you, IE: the builder, are any good at port windows this isn't an issue with rings and pistons failing prematurely.

Ignition timing is anemic for something with a quench area the size if Texas 😆.
The air filter is sad. Those two changes alone makes a big difference with a second exit port added to the muffler.

They have no torque imho out of the box. Guessing your experience must be as a novice user or homeowner. The cylinder has flow issues built in for emissions and it kills power on two fronts.

Enjoy

First off anything subjected to more stress wears faster. If you, IE: the builder, are any good at port windows this isn't an issue with rings and pistons failing prematurely.

Ignition timing is anemic for something with a quench area the size if Texas 😆.
The air filter is sad. Those two changes alone makes a big difference with a second exit port added to the muffler.

They have no torque imho out of the box. Guessing your experience must be as a novice user or homeowner. The cylinder has flow issues built in for emissions and it kills power on two fronts.

Enjoy
1) "The air filter is sad"
Care to share why you think this, and what YOU did, to improve it?

2) "Guessing your experience must be as a novice user or homeowner"
I have no comment for you.

1) "The air filter is sad"
Care to share why you think this, and what YOU did, to improve it?

2) "Guessing your experience must be as a novice user or homeowner"
I have no comment for you.
You haven’t learned from this site, how to parrot information about modding saws, and how Echo’s have no torque?

Probably why you run an Echo. Bet you own a home too? Laughable!

You should know that Stihl engines run on saw fines, so that air filter on your 7310 just plain out sucks! That’s just about everyone’s opinion, and about all I’ve heard about it.

Latest posts

Back