Opinions on the Dolmar PS6400 2007-08 Model

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfA01

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello All! Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

I've just found a second hand Dolmar PS6400 in decent condition. From the bar wear, I'd say it's ran more than few tanks of gas, but the body of the saw and the case appear to be in excellent condition. Also, the exhaust area appears rather tidy. I haven't seen it up close, but will probably take the hour's drive and take a closer look before the new year. Its at a service center, so maybe the guys there would at least let me see them run a compression check.

Anyway, I've been running a EA4300 Makita for the past year. I love it....it really cuts like a much bigger saw than it is. I do need a saw to handle the heavy lifting though and this 6400 looks like it can carry its weight.

I attached a pic of the ad.

Any input about information about general owner stuff, rebuilds, maintenance, pros and cons, etc., are all welcome.

Attachments

• Dolmar Pireaus Saw.JPG
    Dolmar Pireaus Saw.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 34
Excellent saws and nothing in particular to worry about. The 6400 suffers in comparison to its 7900 brother, but it a great saw in its own right - its just that its power to weight ratio is not as good given that it is the same basic saw. Dolmar did not go in for constant changes and so the saw has stayed pretty much the same over its life time.

In the longer term you can upgrade to 7900 and HD filter if you rind you need more power?

Excellent saws and nothing in particular to worry about. The 6400 suffers in comparison to its 7900 brother, but it a great saw in its own right - its just that its power to weight ratio is not as good given that it is the same basic saw. Dolmar did not go in for constant changes and so the saw has stayed pretty much the same over its life time.

In the longer term you can upgrade to 7900 and HD filter if you rind you need more power?

Some thoughts of doing a top end on the saw had already been swirling around in my head since I saw that it was a used saw. I would go for a new one, but this guy is offering me a trade for my generator. I've got an 11HP Honda generator that is just too big for what I need. I'm hoping to score the saw and a small air compressor in the deal. Either way, I'll come out ahead, as the generator was FREE!

What is the actual difference in the engine between the 6400 and the 7900. Can a fella buy a big bore OEM kit for it? Not too in to running AM parts. I've got backup saws, just don't want to use them when I have to, I'd rather use them when I want to.

Cheers,
Dan

I've owned the ps 9010, the ps 7900 and currently own a 5105. Both the big saws went down with crank failure. I bought the 9010 used knowing it had been a loggers saw a just been rebuilt. Took the chance because the price was right and got two seasons of woodcutting out of it before it failed. Liked the saw so I bought a brand new PS 7900 put the air filter kit on it and absolutely loved it. Used it for three seasons and it failed almost identically. Always used non-ethanol gas and synthetic two stroke oil as suggested. Bought the 5105 just before the 7900 went down otherwise I probably wouldn't have a Dolmar anymore. I had no other complaints about those saws but I've had multiple Stihl saws with three times as many hours on them that are still running strong. good luck. 20141110_213700.jpg

Back