Homelite super 1050 back in my hands permanently.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vintage_ridin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So probably 7 years back I had been given a super 1050 to get running right and to learn on in boces. Well it's been 7 years and that saw sat as a wall hanger at my good buddy's house down in Westchester collecting dust.
Funnily enough that saw came back up in conversation about a year and a half ago while I was working for a big outfit in chappaqua. I was offered the saw as I had been building my collection of working tools. A few xl12s an xl400. A super 2. Mac 110 topper. Some old johnsreds and an 038 magnum as well as some climbing gear. Ropes, etc etc.

Well unlike the other guys who want the latest and greatest or lightest zippy saws around, I much prefer the bigger heavy stuff even up in a tree. That little Mac 110 has done a lot of limbing as weirdly unergonomic as it is compared to the ms200t or it's further variations. But I've out cut those saws many a day with that Mac. Same with my 272xp or even a 562xp I hand ported myself. But to be back on point. I like boat anchors, I'm 6'2 and built big so for me they are light either way.

Now this 1050 when I handed it back to my buddy was a pig to start. And as of yet I have not gone to run it since it made its way back up north with me. It's got the later style carburator on it and right now I haven't checked my old thread for information on it.

I'm planning to pull the muffler and see the condition of the piston. Depending how it looks I may order one from little red barn or another supplier if there are better options out there. But I'd like to do what I can to squeeze this old dog before it ends up being a permanent wall hanger. So I'd like to find out a little on porting templates or possible mod mufflers to help this saw scavenge a bit more. Nothing like a cone pipe or straight shot like the hot saws do but I'm sure there's something I can do with my welders.

I'm also trying to source a bar. Would like to find a 60' but I'll take what I can get. I do plan on running .404-.63. this saws going to be used for stumping, cutting big logs into rounds and firewood use. And for when some of these big trees come up as there's still a bunch around up here.

As always any tips, tricks and useful information to be shared is appreciated.
And anyone telling me to go get a new big bore saw, I've seen those ms880 prices, as well as the holzforma saws. I'm not interested in em. I'll buy a 2100xp before I buy either.

Latest posts

Back