Mod 261 or switch to 400?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owyhee H

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im having power issues with my 261cm at altitude and sold a 260pro for the bump in power. It is totally stock and runs correctly but loses too much power at 7000ft+ for my liking. I run a 3/8 full chisel chain on an 18" bar. Mostly cutting red fir.

I've read that a base gasket delete and MM could really help with the power at altitude but I like stock most of the time and Im not excited about a lot louder saw. I have no issue working on saws.

My other wood saw is a pristine 038 magnum that does really well with a 24/25" which covers most of my needs for a bigger bar.

I have a 660 clone and an 021 so would always have backup available if needed.

So would you recommend modding the 261, love the light weight, or selling the 261 and 038 and getting a 400 (or even 462) to replace both saws. I like the Mtronic for changing altitude even though I can tune a carb.

362Cm would be fine too and had one in the past but the 400 seems to be a lot more saw for about the same weight and $$.

Since you have the Mtronic version, I think you would be better off with the 400 than porting the 261C.

In my experience, with the Standard 261, you can be a bit more aggressive when porting and has more gains over the Mtronic.

Mad3400

Latest posts

Back