I need a larger chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace4059

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need a larger saw, maybe it’s just a want.
I have a Stihl MS 261 CM and a MS 400 CM and I am looking for something a little bigger. I am disappointed in the 400.
Does it cut? Yes and it runs great but it's not head over heels more powerful than the 261.

A little background,
Firewood is poor quality in North Texas and the price is outrageous.
I cut 6 cords each year for me and immediate family.
My cousin and I like to take one or two weekends and cut all our wood and haul it a family members house where he spits all the wood for us. Basically we want to done quickly and efficiently because it costs money to take off from work.

I want something that will run a 24" bar. Main use is for firewood (all hardwood) a few weekends a year, and then a few days of use for storm clean up per year.
Tree size around here that I cut is usually 24"-40" and it's mainly Oak and Pecan. I have only had to cut two trees over 40" due to a storm so that's the only exception.

I want to upgrade to a saw that will cut faster and more efficient, so I was looking at the MS 462 CM and the MS 500i. I want something that will run a 24" chain without struggling.

From what I gathered from my research is;
The 462 costs less, has more vibration, has better air filter, and uses less fuel than the 500i.
The 500i is more powerful, has an air filter that easily clogs, drinks fuel, and everyone, including people that haven't used either saw just scream buy the 500i.

The cost between the two isn't a concern to me, neither does the amount of fuel it uses.
I would prefer the less weight of the 462 and less vibration but I am concerned that it won't be much more powerful than my 400. Then, I will say I wished I would have went with the 500i.
Has any upgrade been done or design changes to the 500i to fix the air filter problems?
Is the 500i proven yet?

How is the 462 going to compare to the 400? More powerful? how much more power? 5cc's doesn't seem like much difference.
Go with the 500i, or will a 24" bar matter on those big saws?
Which one overall between the 462 and 500 is the nicer saw and easier to use?
Saws will remain stock, with no mods.
I do like the m-tronics.
We only have a Stihl dealer around so that is what I will be sticking with.

Any input with an explanation or reason of what chainsaw would be best for me, would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

I recently was in the same situation had a lot of 28 to 30 inch oak to cut. My "big" saw was a 362 20 inch bar. Took a hard look at husky 572 and echo 7310 and 462 500. Down to 462 and 500 all videos they seem pretty close cutting speed. The 500 had a 25 light bar and 462 regular 24 or 25. The 500 just felt better to me. I think there was about 250 difference but gained a light bar. Bought the 500 and couldn't be happier, i dont feel it's a gas hog you can buck up a good sized pile of wood on a tank.

I have a Stihl MS 261 CM and a MS 400 CM and I am looking for something a little bigger. I am disappointed in the 400.
Does it cut? Yes and it runs great but it's not head over heels more powerful than the 261.

A little background,
My cousin and I like to take one or two weekends and cut all our wood and haul it a family members house where he spits all the wood for us. Basically we want to done quickly and efficiently because it costs money to take off from work.

I want something that will run a 24" bar. Main use is for firewood (all hardwood) a few weekends a year, and then a few days of use for storm clean up per year.
Tree size around here that I cut is usually 24"-40" and it's mainly Oak and Pecan. I have only had to cut two trees over 40" due to a storm so that's the only exception.

I want to upgrade to a saw that will cut faster and more efficient, so I was looking at the MS 462 CM and the MS 500i. I want something that will run a 24" chain without struggling.

The 462 costs less, has more vibration, has better air filter, and uses less fuel than the 500i.
The 500i is more powerful, has an air filter that easily clogs, drinks fuel, and everyone, including people that haven't used either saw just scream buy the 500i.

The cost between the two isn't a concern to me, neither does the amount of fuel it uses.
I would prefer the less weight of the 462 and less vibration but I am concerned that it won't be much more powerful than my 400. Then, I will say I wished I would have went with the 500i.
Has any upgrade been done or design changes to the 500i to fix the air filter problems?
Is the 500i proven yet?

How is the 462 going to compare to the 400? More powerful? how much more power? 5cc's doesn't seem like much difference.
I do like the m-tronics.

Any input with an explanation or reason of what chainsaw would be best for me, would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan
If you have a 400 now the next step is a 661.

A little background,

Is the 500i proven yet?

I do like the m-tronics.

Thanks,
Ryan
Get the 500I and don't worry about the filter, they are OK ! I have one myself, and it's nice, the filter thing is overblown.

Lot of people upgrade to a maxflow air filter on the 500i. Cutting nasty hardwood generates a lot of fines no matter how sharp your chain is. 462 is a good saw but doesn’t have the power of a 500.

I would say a 661, but that's probably overkill for you.

You aren't going to gain anything buying a 500 over a 462 with a 24" bar.

The vibration difference is literally pointless, they are both smooth.

People start throwing out their favorite saw instead of what's actually good advice.

If you're plan is to run a 24" bar a 500 isn't worth the price difference over a 462.

Haven’t ran a 462 but the PHO weight is similar to my 620P IIRC, so balance with a 24 is great. I imagine the difference in the 462 and 500 is more noticeable with 28”+ bars, haven’t ran either so I wouldn’t know.

Does either saw have any quirks?

How are the power bands on both saws?

I just hate to buy the 462 and then later I say, for a few extra hundred dollars I could’ve had the 500.

With the 462 be able to run a larger bar if I ever need to upgrade in the future?

I typically run under sized bars for the powerhead

I would say a 661, but that's probably overkill for you.

You aren't going to gain anything buying a 500 over a 462 with a 24" bar.

The vibration difference is literally pointless, they are both smooth.

People start throwing out their favorite saw instead of what's actually good advice.

If you're plan is to run a 24" bar a 500 isn't worth the price difference over a 462.
I suggested 661 not because it is my favorite saw but because it is indeed good advice for the next step up from what the man has.

For a 2 saw plan like you’re after, 50cc and 70cc is widely seen as the ideal route. My 60cc 620P can run a 28” with skip chain, it’s a slug like that but it can still do it. 462 should have no problems with a 28” or 32” skip chain if necessary.

661 is too much saw for my needs. I imagine it would also be too heavy for me.
The 661, 462, and 500i max recommend bar length per stihl is 36 inches. The 661 would handle the big wood better but its also 3 pounds heavier. Theres is less then half a pound difference between 462 and 500 and a pound heavier then your 400. The 462 or 500 are light enough to use all day and throw a 36 on for occasional big tree. The 661 would probably sit on the bench and only come out for a big tree.

I suggested 661 not because it is my favorite saw but because it is indeed good advice for the next step up from what the man has.

I agree.

If he's willing to pull out over 1500 bucks and considering what he already has I think a 661 is a good move, probably overkill for a 24" bar...but it opens the right doors if he needs to buy a big bar down the road..he'll have what he needs to use it.

Haven’t ran a 462 but the PHO weight is similar to my 620P IIRC, so balance with a 24 is great. I imagine the difference in the 462 and 500 is more noticeable with 28”+ bars, haven’t ran either so I wouldn’t know.

You got it.

Even at 28" it's murky, at 32" you start to see the displacement advantage the 500 has over a 462, I've ran them both a lot.

I don’t have anything bad to say about my 462. I really liked it and sold my 362 to fund a Husqvarna 592. 462 is a solid saw. Since it was stolen I’m looking at a replacement 462 or a Husqvarna 572. Not even considering the 500.

I will say I think my 462 was being pushed with a buried 32 in softwood. I’m leaning a bit towards the 572.

Latest posts

Back