New saw help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're determined to get a 60cc saw there's no way I would get the current 562xp. They've made far too many updates and improvements to the Mk II to overlook it.

Dealers know about it but they want to get rid of existing inventory before they put it on the floor. Some play dumb, one of my local dealers was blunt when confronted and just said they're not ordering new saws until the old saws are sold. That said, deliveries are expected to start in early Q1 2024.

I should also point out that the MS400 is a bit lighter than the 562xp, more powerful and currently available.
Didn't look like a ton of groundbreaking change from the little bit of info I could find on the web. What am I not seeing?

This is all new to me. Could you kindly explain this to me. Is this like putting a bark box on it?
Bingo.
Pick your poison though. Many, like Jason's straight shot cover, will ring your bell, repeatly without ear plugs and cover muffs. That said maximum cooling and maximum noise along with proper breathing definitely happens. The tool runs much cooler.
Egon muffler covers are loud. Now with something like Gordies WCS covers are a tad quieter.

The first thing a new guys really needs is proper PPE, go slow, ask more questions and definitely disturb somebody. Loud saws save lives or pissoff the neighbors 😆

Get a buddy to show you stuff if you can find someone close by. Gtg's yeild good things to beginners in group settings like how to sharpen chains quickly in the feild with a file. Seeing is best in person so you can ask for tips and get your questions answered directly about situations or cutting. Accessories can easily outpace the base tool or tools just like other industries.

Edited my last post. Fighting brain fog from a bad cold/flu.
Enjoy

Didn't look like a ton of groundbreaking change from the little bit of info I could find on the web. What am I not seeing?
Oh there's lots of changes to the Mark II.

-Weight has dropped nearly a half pound
-Improved torque and hp at lower rpm
-Autotune 3 system
-All new crankshaft design and new main bearings
-Magnetic fuel filtration
-New insulation wall between carb and cylinder
-Steel bushings in starter housing
-New ignition module ad wiring that routes around flywheel so you don't have to remove for service.
-Rated for 28" bar

1700200073097.png

Got out with my new 362 yesterday. They were brush clearing by my place all week and there were many felled trees that they didn’t bother to shred. I asked if I could come and take some and was told to take whatever I wanted. Cut up a few cords worth and now I’m about half way through splitting it (by hand). I’m absolutely loving the saw!
After reading and more reading, I am running the saw at a 40:1 mix. Now I just need to replace the stock single dog with a nice set.

I have a ms362 and it does just fine. It's my main felling saw because it is lightweight and it has the 25inch bar. I've fell 40 plus Inch diameter trees several times. A good 1 saw plan. If you ever get it hung up and need a 2nd saw I've found a good 40cc saw can usually take care of business and it can serve as a lighter limbing saw. I have a 10 plus year old poulan that was back-up for my ms250 back when the ms250 was my 1 saw plan. That poulan aside from needing to be tuned right after I bought it has been a good cheap 2nd saw back then I got it for I think 112 dollars it's now like 160. My ms250 was $300(about $400 now). That was the most expensive saw I had ever bought up to that point.

I have a ms362 and it does just fine. It's my main felling saw because it is lightweight and it has the 25inch bar. I've fell 40 plus Inch diameter trees several times. A good 1 saw plan. If you ever get it hung up and need a 2nd saw I've found a good 40cc saw can usually take care of business and it can serve as a lighter limbing saw. I have a 10 plus year old poulan that was back-up for my ms250 back when the ms250 was my 1 saw plan. That poulan aside from needing to be tuned right after I bought it has been a good cheap 2nd saw back then I got it for I think 112 dollars it's now like 160. My ms250 was $300(about $400 now). That was the most expensive saw I had ever bought up to that point.
I am really liking the 362. I put on 3pt wcs dogs, bark box and it’s wearing a 24” bar.
I’m now looking at getting a second saw and really considering either a 462 or 500i with a 28” bar. I really like the longer bars, I just find them more comfortable to use as I can stand up. Not being bent over is a real back saver and it’s just more comfortable.
Weight is a non issue for me. I’m 43 still workout daily. The 362 is easy peasy to handle and manoeuvre, I would just like a second saw with more power.

I'm 43 as well and I do have a bigger saw. Ms880. But that 362 is so enjoyable to run. Not sure about the 400 ,462,500i but with a 362 I personally would skip all of those and get the 661 maybe the 500i. I can handle a 660 pretty well. The 880 not so much with 42 inch bar. Do they make a 42" Iight bar for an 880?

I only suggested a smaller 40cc saw because you said you were retired and needed to conserve your finances first.

Just a thought when your MS362 gets hung/pinched. Its outboard clutch...have you ever thought about buying an extra bar and chain and just unbolt the power head from the bar leave it in the pinch and put the other bar. lot cheaper and lighter than having extra saw. But a wedge is even cheaper saves a lot of time if you miss read the compression.

Latest posts

Back