I did a thing!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glad2BNico

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'm a newbie to all things 2-cycle engines. But I'm also a nerd and dive DEEP into new hobbies. If you ask my wife, I'm basically obsessive. I've now owned my first chainsaw for 2 weeks, a used Stihl 029 Super. Based on everything I've been reading, I ported the muffler and tuned the carbs (just by ear). I also picked up an old, used Granberg G104B, File-N-Joint, and this thing is amazing. The 20" Bar might be a bit overkill as I'm just cutting wood for heat next winter, and pretty soon, I'll be stacking for the winter after that. I'd get crap from my buddies if I were to say that wood is basically free heat, but when I call it a new hobby that is fun, good exercise and I get the benefit of reduced heat costs in the winter, no one can argue!

What's something you wish you knew when you were just starting out? Anything about splitting, sourcing firewood, learning to identify trees by their bark (I'm getting most of my wood from the community compost area) Chainsaw maintenance, etc.

I've really enjoyed this forum and have learned a bunch from the different threads, thanks to all who contribute!

Learn how to sharpen the chain and make it habit to keep it sharp in your spare time so that it is always ready to go.

Make a dry storage wood shed to keep the rain/snow off of your wood, I still have not made my self do this one and find myself dragging out to pull the tarp over every time it rains.

So I'm a newbie to all things 2-cycle engines. But I'm also a nerd and dive DEEP into new hobbies. If you ask my wife, I'm basically obsessive. I've now owned my first chainsaw for 2 weeks, a used Stihl 029 Super. Based on everything I've been reading, I ported the muffler and tuned the carbs (just by ear). I also picked up an old, used Granberg G104B, File-N-Joint, and this thing is amazing. The 20" Bar might be a bit overkill as I'm just cutting wood for heat next winter, and pretty soon, I'll be stacking for the winter after that. I'd get crap from my buddies if I were to say that wood is basically free heat, but when I call it a new hobby that is fun, good exercise and I get the benefit of reduced heat costs in the winter, no one can argue!

What's something you wish you knew when you were just starting out? Anything about splitting, sourcing firewood, learning to identify trees by their bark (I'm getting most of my wood from the community compost area) Chainsaw maintenance, etc.

I've really enjoyed this forum and have learned a bunch from the different threads, thanks to all who contribute!
Buy machines that pick logs up so you don't end up half crippled with a bad lower back!

ya got storage for about 14 chord and they dry better, just gives me a choice of what wood I want to season and use first, my only source of heat- and I do own a big log splitter and a skid steer for moving big rounds and putting wood where I want it to be stacked or split, I'm 71 so cant afford to wreak myself- I fix a lot of firewood guys saws so trades are nice and I like them in the round so I can noodle them for testing saws

Go ahead and buy a chainsaw tach on Amazon for $15-20. Easy tuning that way. Splitting and stacking firewood can take a toll on your hands. Wear leather gloves and be careful not to grip stuff too hard. If you ever wanted carpel tunnel, it'll give it to you. lol. And if you don't wear any other protection, wear some safety glasses.

Last time I checked, you don't 'port' a muffler. You might open up the baffles or remove them but port one, no way.

Get yourself some proper PPE as in chaps, helmet, ear muffs and safety glasses or a helmet attached screen.

Always keep in mind that ANY chainsaw can be a lethal weapon or at least cut you like no tomorrow if you are careless. Been there and did that and have the scars to prove my stupidity.

Y'all have got me thinking about building some covered firewood containers now! I'm going to have to get creative with pallets, ha! I'm pretty cautious about PPE, I wear everything but a hard hat most times. Thanks for the feedback! Good stuff! Maybe someday I'll be able to afford some log lifting equipment... maybe with all the savings in heat I'll get. Ha!

Last time I checked, you don't 'port' a muffler. You might open up the baffles or remove them but port one, no way.

Get yourself some proper PPE as in chaps, helmet, ear muffs and safety glasses or a helmet attached screen.

Always keep in mind that ANY chainsaw can be a lethal weapon or at least cut you like no tomorrow if you are careless. Been there and did that and have the scars to prove my stupidity.
My muffler is port matched to the exhaust port of the cylinder. So sometimes a muffler is ported.

The one thing I learned on this site thar I wish I had known earlier was to use a piston stop when tightening clutch and flywheel nuts. You should be fine with the 20"bar, just don't push it, keep the chain sharp and let the saw feed itself into the wood.
Or just stuff some 3/8" nylon rope in there
I'm not familiar with the terminology, but I made the exhaust holes bigger and added another hole... so whatever that is.
Muffler mod

The one thing I learned on this site thar I wish I had known earlier was to use a piston stop (rope) when tightening clutch and flywheel nuts. You should be fine with the 20"bar, just don't push it, keep the chain sharp and let the saw feed itself into the wood.
On a lot of saws that I have the muffler removed I just insert a wooden handle from a small wire brush into the exhaust port. Works very well as a piston stop and doesn't harm the piston or cylinder.

Let the chain do the cutting instead of leaning hard on it. Use oem parts. Keep the chain out of the dirt, it only takes a second to dull the chain. Recognize a worn sprocket. During long cuts back off once and a while and allow the saw a second to "catch its breath" for just a second. Those are the things I wish I knew in the beginning.

Oh boy…
You should stop now. Erase this site from your browser and never return.
Otherwise…you are doomed…

Latest posts

Back