Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirtbag

Reaction score
Good day all. Just found the site not long ago and decided to join. I am a hobby wood worker and have have some experience with chainsaws. Mostly firewood, cleaning up down trees and farm use. I am no logger but have cut down a few trees in my life. I am really looking into chainsaw milling. Mostly because I have 3 large red oak trunks from some trees I had taken down last year. They were too big for me so I had a local arborist do it. The interest in trying to get into chainsaw milling is that I can't find anyone who can mill the trunks. They are 50" diameter. I know it sounds like a lot to do for a few trees but I also had my arborist express interest a large granberg mill so I am hoping it will be a collaboration. Then maybe I can gain experience and start on some smaller logs. Anyway looking to learn as much as I can.

Good day all. Just found the site not long ago and decided to join. I am a hobby wood worker and have have some experience with chainsaws. Mostly firewood, cleaning up down trees and farm use. I am no logger but have cut down a few trees in my life. I am really looking into chainsaw milling. Mostly because I have 3 large red oak trunks from some trees I had taken down last year. They were too big for me so I had a local arborist do it. The interest in trying to get into chainsaw milling is that I can't find anyone who can mill the trunks. They are 50" diameter. I know it sounds like a lot to do for a few trees but I also had my arborist express interest a large granberg mill so I am hoping it will be a collaboration. Then maybe I can gain experience and start on some smaller logs. Anyway looking to learn as much as I can.
If they are 50”, you’re going to need a big saw and a long bar. In addition to the mill.

Welcome sir.
Have you guys purchased any equipment for the milling project yet.

Welcome sir.
Have you guys purchased any equipment for the milling project yet.
no, nothing specific for milling these yet. I have been keeping a look out for big 120 cc class stihl saws that are for sale. The closest I have found was about 8 to 9 hours away.

no, nothing specific for milling these yet. I have been keeping a look out for big 120 cc class stihl saws that are for sale. The closest I have found was about 8 to 9 hours away.
Not sure what the requirements are(must be a member/ make so many post), but you can then place a wanted ad in the trading post, I'm sure someone here has one.
Have a great weekend.

Back