Hobby farm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironman11

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a small hobby farm with about 4 acres of forest that I will be using to cut wood for the fireplace and maintaining the trails.

I really like battery chainsaws for their convenience, however, not sure if I'm better off with a gas saw. I have about a dozen or so trees to cut into logs. Any advice

Hello,
I have a small hobby farm with about 4 acres of forest that I will be using to cut wood for the fireplace and maintaining the trails.

I really like battery chainsaws for their convenience, however, not sure if I'm better off with a gas saw. I have about a dozen or so trees to cut into logs. Any advice
Welcome to the forum. Sounds to me like you might be better off with a gas saw, especially since you have wood heat. I’m also on a hobby farm and also maintain trails with chainsaws. Electric saws can be convenient, but only for small jobs in my opinion.

Go check out the pawn shops. Then do a search on what they have for a saw.
If cutting firewood yearly, I'd have around 50-60 ish cc's.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds to me like you might be better off with a gas saw, especially since you have wood heat. I’m also on a hobby farm and also maintain trails with chainsaws. Electric saws can be convenient, but only for small jobs in my opinion.
I agree with this one. Battery saws are very quick and convenient, very little maintenance. But best for light limbing or pruning in my opinion. We have 2 top handle husky battery powered saws at work, but 99% of the time I personally still reach for the gas powered top handle

I've had some electric saws myself and only ever used them for a quick cut here and there.
So my opinion, yes gas is the better option for you.

A battery saw has a limit of about 6” in diameter. Sure, you can do bigger, but why?
You’ll never say “I wasted my money” on a good pro gas saw.

Hello,

Welcome to AS!

You have ended up in a highly gas-oriented forum. I am kind-of shocked that no one has yet commented that you need a MS500i.

What I recommend is to survey your friends...provide some suitable incentive for them to come to your house, with their saws, and the two of you do some cutting.

This plan has the benefit of you trying a couple different options and you get some cutting lessons from your friends.

You'll want to start by buying some chainsaw PPE. Chaps, and whatnot.

Roy

Latest posts

Back