Building a logging (hobby) trailer w/Winch onboard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those quick disconnects are called “Anderson Connections “.

They are used a lot with electric forklifts and pallet jacks.
They are also used frequently in off roading to power winches, particularly rear winches mounted on a receiver mount to slide into a receiver hitch.

I have an Anderson Connection on the back of my Jeep, originally used for the rear winch, but I also have a 30’ set of jumper cables that came with an Anderson connection on one end. I also have an 8’ Anderson cable with ring lugs on the other end, that I run a 2500 watt inverter with, I have used that to run my Wife’s oxygen concentrator, on long road trips. On long trips, with short overnight stops, the compressor that works with her concentrator may not have enough time to fully recharge her oxygen tanks, so being able to run the concentrator while driving is a huge benefit

Doug 😎

Those quick disconnects are called “Anderson Connections “.

They are used a lot with electric forklifts and pallet jacks.
They are also used frequently in off roading to power winches, particularly rear winches mounted on a receiver mount to slide into a receiver hitch.

I have an Anderson Connection on the back of my Jeep, originally used for the rear winch, but I also have a 30’ set of jumper cables that came with an Anderson connection on one end. I also have an 8’ Anderson cable with ring lugs on the other end, that I run a 2500 watt inverter with, I have used that to run my Wife’s oxygen concentrator, on long road trips. On long trips, with short overnight stops, the compressor that works with her concentrator may not have enough time to fully recharge her oxygen tanks, so being able to run the concentrator while driving is a huge benefit

Doug 😎
Good deal... Thank you for the clarification, and information about the connection type.

Electrical discussion:

In relation to using a battery jumper cable set to one of the two batteries on my engine to help support the load of the Winch... Here are some thoughts:

1) Supporting (charging) the 4 marine deep cycle batteries while I load a few logs "should not" put a huge strain on my engine batteries. I love the K.I.S.S. principle at work with this set up.

2) I also grew up on boats in an era where Battery isolators are used for protecting unique battery set ups. Which leads me to wonder if it would not make sense adding one to the truck to support charging the Logging Trailer battery bank in the back of my truck-- somehow being fed by the alternator? Is this too much work on an alternator to be distribution this much juice to essentially six batteries? I am NOT a mechanic nor do I play one on TV... The thought crossed my mind to tap I to the truck's resources in addition to the light solar trickle charger I have supporting the battery bank during the week as I anticipate using the logging trailer on weekends only unless a special occasion arose.

If you are still reading this-- sorry man-- yeah-- I do over think things and 'possibly' over engineer **** I am just not familiar with and understand the limitations of, in black and white print/terms.

Appreciate the feedback just the same...

So I thought I'd share my ragged, and rough version of what y'all helped me create... I'll take all of the blame for **** that looks 1/2 passed and y'all can take street cred for everything that looks great, and done "okay"... Posting pics of the Frankin-Trailer.. Stand by...

Thanks everyone who contributed... Appreciate y'all-- sincerely... Now this old man won't break his back...

Attachments

• signal-2023-12-08-23-08-43-593.jpg
    signal-2023-12-08-23-08-43-593.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 2
  • signal-2023-12-08-23-08-43-593-1.jpg
    signal-2023-12-08-23-08-43-593-1.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 2
  • signal-2023-12-08-23-08-43-593-2.jpg
    signal-2023-12-08-23-08-43-593-2.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 2
  • signal-2023-12-08-23-08-43-593-3.jpg
    signal-2023-12-08-23-08-43-593-3.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 2
Where did you get the welding cable? I am not paying $500 for copper jumper cables... Rather make my own...
Sorry, I missed you replied, and now see it doesn't matter lol. However, my cable is left over from one of my old man's welders. Often times something happens to one of the cables on the job and it ends up getting replaced, he keeps it around and we grab what we need for projects.

Electrical discussion:

In relation to using a battery jumper cable set to one of the two batteries on my engine to help support the load of the Winch... Here are some thoughts:

1) Supporting (charging) the 4 marine deep cycle batteries while I load a few logs "should not" put a huge strain on my engine batteries. I love the K.I.S.S. principle at work with this set up.

2) I also grew up on boats in an era where Battery isolators are used for protecting unique battery set ups. Which leads me to wonder if it would not make sense adding one to the truck to support charging the Logging Trailer battery bank in the back of my truck-- somehow being fed by the alternator? Is this too much work on an alternator to be distribution this much juice to essentially six batteries? I am NOT a mechanic nor do I play one on TV... The thought crossed my mind to tap I to the truck's resources in addition to the light solar trickle charger I have supporting the battery bank during the week as I anticipate using the logging trailer on weekends only unless a special occasion arose.

If you are still reading this-- sorry man-- yeah-- I do over think things and 'possibly' over engineer **** I am just not familiar with and understand the limitations of, in black and white print/terms.

Appreciate the feedback just the same...
Yep, it will work just fine. No you won't kill your alternator from charging the batteries. sure it will work it a bit harder, but nothing I'd worry about.

Sorry, I missed you replied, and now see it doesn't matter lol. However, my cable is left over from one of my old man's welders. Often times something happens to one of the cables on the job and it ends up getting replaced, he keeps it around and we grab what we need for projects.
I actually didn't pull the trigger yet as I am finding that the majority of Jumper cables are China $hit aluminum, and not Copper... Maybe I should buy an old / used set of welding cables off eBay and make my own charging set up? Any risk there? Hate blowing more $$ this project for anything "new", when used would work fine....

I actually didn't pull the trigger yet as I am finding that the majority of Jumper cables are China $hit aluminum, and not Copper... Maybe I should buy an old / used set of welding cables off eBay and make my own charging set up? Any risk there? Hate blowing more $$ this project for anything "new", when used would work fine....
There may be some risk, but not any worse then some cuts in the outer cover I would think. Hopefully it comes in a single length and doesnt have a bunch of splices. That would annoy me.
Really copper clad aluminum would work fine, as it's really an intermittent use thing. (Unkess I'm mistaken, and you will be using it hard daily.) You'd just up size for the amp load a bit. It's a give and take, copper is real expensive these days. Even for the 100 amp service to my new shop, I'm more then likely running aluminum as it's cheaper the copper even up sizing to make up for it not being as good a conductor.

Take a look at these from Amazon,

IMG_1920.jpeg

I have this same set on my Jeep. I am using a set of Warn cables from the battery to the back, with the Anderson connection to power my rear receiver mount winch.

I used the short cables that come with the set for a pigtail to run an inverter. I have jumped several cars, and even a tractor trailer with the cables. With the Anderson connection on the back of the Jeep, it confuses people when I position the BACK of the Jeep by their battery, but when they see the cables and how they connect, it’s always, That’s Cool

It doesn’t sound like it would be too difficult for you to cut the clamps off the long cables to put some ring lugs on that end, to connect to the truck battery. Depending on how the batteries are mounted on your trailer, and where you locate the Anderson on the back of your truck, the short set of cables might easily reach the truck connection

The ring lugs and Anderson connections are inexpensive, and easy to work with, and I have been impressed with the cables in this set, they are very flexible

Take a look, might work well for you, at a reasonable price

Depending on how long the cables need to be for the truck, you might still have enough length to put an Anderson on the clamps and still be able to use them for jumping

Doug 😎

Take a look at these from Amazon,

View attachment 1134410

I have this same set on my Jeep. I am using a set of Warn cables from the battery to the back, with the Anderson connection to power my rear receiver mount winch.

I used the short cables that come with the set for a pigtail to run an inverter. I have jumped several cars, and even a tractor trailer with the cables. With the Anderson connection on the back of the Jeep, it confuses people when I position the BACK of the Jeep by their battery, but when they see the cables and how they connect, it’s always, That’s Cool

It doesn’t sound like it would be too difficult for you to cut the clamps off the long cables to put some ring lugs on that end, to connect to the truck battery. Depending on how the batteries are mounted on your trailer, and where you locate the Anderson on the back of your truck, the short set of cables might easily reach the truck connection

The ring lugs and Anderson connections are inexpensive, and easy to work with, and I have been impressed with the cables in this set, they are very flexible

Take a look, might work well for you, at a reasonable price

Depending on how long the cables need to be for the truck, you might still have enough length to put an Anderson on the clamps and still be able to use them for jumping

Doug 😎
I have a similar set up, on my pickup. Anderson out the front and back. The winch on the red trailer just plugs into the back of the truck. My jumper cables can plug into either side of the truck for jump starting, or you can hook the jump cables to the winch to run it off someone's else's vehicle. Makes life real simple.

Edit: I'm sure those cables are copper clad at that price point. Any issues with them heating up under long/hard pulls?

I haven’t had any issues with them so far, but if he is mounting batteries on the trailer, then using this set to keep the batteries charged, and add some amperage, I can’t imagine that he would have any problems with these, I don’t know if the short cable would be long enough to connect directly to his winch, a lot depends on how things are set up, I haven’t pulled that heavy of an extended draw on them, but no complaints with how I have used them.

Doug 😎

Latest posts

Back