Log Arch Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been threatening to build a log arch for use with a GT or ATV in my very small firewood operation for quite some time. Well, it is ready for its first trial, so, here is a picture heavy build from rusty parts to primed and near ready.

My ideas were further advanced when I found this already re-purposed Concrete Trowel Machine trailer while helping my Dad prepare to sell the old homestead and all contents.

Arch.JPG

As Number 1 Son, I scooped this up at a great price: Free. If you are like me, you can see the potential, there are wheels, there is an arch, there is a tongue. Oh, yea, and there is a piece of plywood wired to the center structure for moving who knows what around the place. And, of course the arch and wheels are not at the proper angle.

Not obvious in this picture, but the wheel axles are stout, and easily removed to replace those brittle, cracked tires.

Arch%25201.JPG

Fast forward to a rainy day discussion in the mountain cabin last Deer season with a good friend and recently retired professional welder. Turns out he is building an OWB and will need a steady supply of firewood. I need some fab and welding skills. He does nothing half-fast. And before New Year I had a cad design proposal. And, since we hadn't yet fixed a loads of firewood to fab/welding exchange rate, his design did not rely on much of my treasure find. Anyway, he collected a pile of stuff to begin:

Parts%2520Pile.jpg

Note, he too has an ever alert security officer guarding the entrance to his shop.

Both of us have many projects in progress at any given time, so calendar time extends well beyond power-on time for the welder. But, I'm not in a hurry. A couple progress shots from the shop: First squaring up the arch:

Layout.jpg

And, cleaning up the frame structure:

checking%2520angles.jpg

Clamped, tacked, and welding the arch and frame.

Frame.jpg

Note the beginnings of the OWB there behind the table. Please disregard any appearance that everything is not properly stowed in a refined search/retrieval system that makes this an ISO 9002 work shop.

In the build process, an obvious design improvement was adopted to set the wheels inside the frame making them less susceptible to snagging on roots, rocks, and other trees when snaking through the woods.

Plan%2520B.jpg

Unfortunately, my friend has suggested that if I want an "as-built" set of CAD plans, it will be another load of wood. Hmmm.

This new design is facilitated by a threaded axle end:

Threaded%2520Axle.jpg

More welding as this thing is taking shape nicely:

Multi%2520hook%2520points.jpg

Welding completed, time for some primer:

Primed.jpg

Assembly of hardware and wheels:

assembled.jpg

Note: Security is still on guard. We've lost no production hours due to wild animal attack at either shop. A record both pups are pretty proud of.

And ready for transport back to my shop where I'll clean up the wheels, and replace the tires.

RFU.jpg

Of course, the cutting season is practically over due to temperatures, undergrowth, bugs, and other property maintenance priorities. But, I have a nice big Sassafras log just waiting to be drug around the test track in my woods. I'll get some pictures, and videographer willing, a video of this in action as soon as possible.

In the interim, we've arrived at a proper exchange rate:

For the Welding:

For%2520Mike.JPG

And for the Steel:

2nd%2520Rack.JPG

Fair trade, I've got plenty of Red Oak, he has a garage full of welding tools and supplies. I probably have more hours in my stacks, he has more dollars invested in his tools.

Finally, today, I had time to move the Custom Log Arch from the welding shop, to my garage and run a trial.

First, I just hitched it and drove it across the lawn to see it track:

First+Hitch.JPG

Then, I tucked it into the woods and pulled it around some of my regular paths:

In+the+woods+1.JPG

Looks great, so I pulled down to my benchmark log; it's about 20' long and 15" diameter at the butt. My pup helped me with the measurements.

Then I backed the arch over it (with a little bit of a man-handle adjustment there.

And finally, I winched it up, choked it off, and pulled it out of the place it has rested for a couple years.

Still want to paint it, work on the wheels, and replace the very old tires. But, for my equipment size, it seems to work well.

Pulled another good sized tree today, managed to tangle the cable on my winch spool. Operator error. Anyway, it was easier to untangle with the winch off the frame, so it seemed like a good time to take the rest of the hardware off for some paint. My tractor, and most of my implements are John Deere, so I splurged on a couple cans of JD green at the local TSC. Carried my bare arch into my "clean room" paint shop

Primer Gray.JPG

for a good rattle can spray.

JD Green.JPG

Aside from the couple test pulls the past two days, I don't usually work the woods during the summer. Good thing, I might lose my tractor and this arch in all the green around here now.

I didn`t realize you were the other log arch builder. Yours looks very nice also. I wanted green to but I let my wife pic the color.

I didn`t realize you were the other log arch builder. Yours looks very nice also. I wanted green to but I let my wife pic the color.

Yea, that's me. The one I built will only be lifting the end so I can drag it out of the woods without catching on roots and rocks. I do most of my cutting in the winter, when I have frozen ground and usually snow to pull over. Looks like you could lift the whole log. Are you taking wood to a mill? I am cutting firewood.

Thanks for checking in on my build too.

Had a chance to make a proper test pull with the JD Green paint, it seems to work even better!

Still running the cracked tires (they are tubed). I found replacement tires at a cost of almost 8 times the total I have invested in this thing so far. (Of course, so far I have less than $10 worth of paint as my total cash investment. I might let these tires settle in to their duties for a while.

Jere, a slip hook will work better on your log to arch chain. You have a grab hook on the arch so the other one should be a slip. I thought grabs on both ends of my chain would be handy but after using it for a week I got tired of losing logs and with the slide the log doesn't seem to jerk back and forth as much. I ended up welding 4 or 5 different lengths of short chains on the arch with grab hook on the loose end. The chains are short and have 3, 4, 5, and 6 links on them this way I don't even both using the winch I just pull the chain as tight as possible on the log and hook it on whichever grab hook it will reach. I drive ahead a few feet until the log hit a hill and the chain goes loose, I back up a foot and rehook the chain tighter then head off to the landing. Sometimes I have to use the winch at the landing to get the chain loose enough but usually it just comes off.

Interesting. I am sure I have a slip hook laying around, I can trade it out and see. I admit I haven't pulled many logs yet, so I haven't had any drop yet. I chose the grab hook so when I raise the log up with the winch again at the end of the pull the choke chain typically releases itself.

BTW, either of you use a tongs on the winch? I think I'll try to find used one that opens up to 18 or 24".

Jere, I have 2 sets of tongs and they weren't worth the waste of time for me. I'm pulling with my Steiner and not a 4 wheeler so you might have different results. Right now I'm pulling poplar with my Kubota and the Steiner was almost as fast but some of this stuff is pretty bound up and the Steiner is too light to pull it out. The slip hook will help you out.

Jere, I have 2 sets of tongs and they weren't worth the waste of time for me. I'm pulling with my Steiner and not a 4 wheeler so you might have different results. Right now I'm pulling poplar with my Kubota and the Steiner was almost as fast but some of this stuff is pretty bound up and the Steiner is too light to pull it out. The slip hook will help you out.

Thanks, I was worried about them, hence, I'm looking to find a used one cheap. Just to be clear: I would use it on the end of the winch line for the lift. Save me from fisting the cable under a stubborn log that is lying flat to the ground. I did not envision using the tongs in the actual pull. I'd still run a chain and choke it off onto my adjustable hook.

Don't have a creek or even a proper ravine here, do have a couple inclines though. I'll add a pull up an incline (and down) to my next video session. Getting too hot here for this kind of work though.
But.....but ....but its the ATV and Log arch are doing all the work. LoL Its ok with me if you have a cooler full of ice and beer while you make the video. Yup! BEER

Tongs scissor to tighten and thus you need a fair amount of height to the arch pulley to accommodate for the tongs and the connecting cable hook. I carry a small little garden tool to dig under the log if necessary, and no longer carry the tongs. I do take a pevey or cant hook however. Very handy.

Tongs scissor to tighten and thus you need a fair amount of height to the arch pulley to accommodate for the tongs and the connecting cable hook. I carry a small little garden tool to dig under the log if necessary, and no longer carry the tongs. I do take a pevey or cant hook however. Very handy.

You could use a big wedge and just hammer it in quick at the end of the log, should give you enough lift and room then to push a chain under the log with a stick.

Latest posts

Back