tw5 mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captjack

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is a long shot but has anyone built a frame and removed the wheels off a towable log splitter? I have an older tw5 and it sits a little low for me. I am thinking about removing the tires and wheels and building a frame for the machine to sit on ( will weld it) to raise it up and have fork pockets so I can move it around the wood yard with skid loader. The log lift will get lengthened as well. -- Stay tuned for outcome ! Figured I would ask here first for ideas

I built my splitter, but I have stabilizing Jack's in the front for leveling. If the resr is ever too low I usually just drive it up on blocks then set the leveling jacks accordingly. I doubt making a frame would be a big deal. I'd still want some way to easily level it built in though.

I built my splitter, but I have stabilizing Jack's in the front for leveling. If the resr is ever too low I usually just drive it up on blocks then set the leveling jacks accordingly. I doubt making a frame would be a big deal. I'd still want some way to easily level it built in though.
I should have mentioned - I have a concrete pad that I process wood on so im alway pretty level.

The TW-5/6 are heavy machines to move about.
If you do a fixed base consider adding an out-feed table even with the beam, like the SuperSplit. I actually lowered the out-feed a half inch and added the uhm -something (cutting board material which is very slippery). Any kind of table would be an amazing improvement, whether permanently attached or not.
Forklift tubes on SuperSplit. Also added a modified factory T-axle with go-kart spindles and a removable tow tongue under the engine. Orange tongue is leaning against tree. Now I can push it about more easily when storing, or backing up to conveyor after towing.
TW-6 wedge mod really improved splitting sellable size firewood from large rounds with less effort, less lifting and chasing oversize pieces for re-splitting.
Small improvements like your considering, really help in the overall flow of material in/out. The bottlenecks never go away, they just move. Then you refocus on that part.
You could make a base for the splitter to sit on, to both raise it and get forks or a pallet jack in. Of course a pallet jack would require a broomed off surface to roll.
Show us what you come up with Captjack.
IMG_5164.jpgIMG_1466.jpgIMG_0502.jpg

This is a long shot but has anyone built a frame and removed the wheels off a towable log splitter? I have an older tw5 and it sits a little low for me. I am thinking about removing the tires and wheels and building a frame for the machine to sit on ( will weld it) to raise it up and have fork pockets so I can move it around the wood yard with skid loader. The log lift will get lengthened as well. -- Stay tuned for outcome ! Figured I would ask here first for ideas
I had a buddy that took his TW6 and raised the whole splitter up for better working height . He did put a set of wheels back under it and just added to the log lift and didn't redesign the lift and he ended up bending the lift. Just adding to the length of the lift without changing the cylinder angle and stroke didn't work out.

Latest posts

Back