Refurbishing an old firewood trailer found on new property...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These newer wood stoves seem so finicky on size. Says 16" max but real world tests put it closer to 14" you have to buy a bigger one just so you don't have to be so accurate or anything a little bit longer doest have to be recut or heads to the bonfire
I just fired my Blaze King Princess insert for the first time. It takes a full 16" split loaded NS with a half inch or so to spare.

It's one of the longest burn time stoves on the market. When loading for long burns, more fuel in is more heat out. Here it pays to be spot on and fill up the fuel tank.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

After 10 years at our previous place, it was time to downgrade the dwelling and upgrade the property so in August of '21 it was goodbye to our 3.7 acres and hello to 34 acres. 10 tillable including the house, leaving the remaining 24 acres to hardwoods for the 3 kids to roam. Logged recently in 2019, the remnants of the skidding roads make great access to the tops left to rot. Cutting the tops to feed the wood stove will be somewhat bittersweet as they provided great cover for the whitetail. I managed to kill a buck and a doe with my bow, and my wife managed to kill her first whitetail with her crossbow.

Amongst the junk piles scattered throughout the wood was this gem, entangled in a mess of old fencing and barbed wire. She was overlooked when things were green and thick and only showed herself once the wood bared all with the turning of the season. One tire still held air, the other off the bead but I was able to get it back on and inflated tonight. Bearings are smooth and a bit of penetrant on the rotating trailer jack and it was free and operational. She has no suspension, just a (previously sleeved) cast I-beam axle welded to the frame and a drawbar hitch. Any remnants of the 4'x8' wood deck were removed with a few screws still needing to be cleared away. Our 28x40 pole barn had some miscellaneous rough-sawn lumber from what I believe to be old livestock stalls which will be repurposed for the decking.

The neighbor next door is the daughter of the folks who, now passed, built the house and barn in 1972 and said this trailer was used by their dad to bring firewood up to the house. The tillable was once all pasture for horses but has been row-cropped for the last 12 years or so. It will be nice to reclaim the tillable back to pasture for raising beef and using the woods for hogs.

Anywho, follow along if you please as I give this ole girl new life and get her back to what she was built for. She will be spending her days as a companion to my John Deere 4600 tractor.
View attachment 956733

Taming widow makers and making firewood this beautiful evening with my MS460 wearing her 25" B&C.
View attachment 956735View attachment 956734
Congratulations on the new property.
Trailer looks intact but sitting for a while.
I would clean up the metal to see how the welds looked before replacing the wooden structure.
Give the springs and tires/rims a once-over to see if the are good too then repaint and use it.

6011 is called "Bacon Rod" up here in Canada. It sizzles while making the puddle. Tough welds to make perfect, and more fun trying....6011 is every farmers go to.

7018 takes a little more prep to the champhors, but its hands down a stronger root pass. Used by the box-per-day, when we worked at the Matts Shipyard. Now it Port Windsor......

Where are the photos? We have a string of wood trailers on the Farm, in Cottam, Ontario. They were made from junk pick-ups. Cab gone, and the frame folded in for a tongue. Good for 3/4 ton of stacked firewood each, and 4 daisy-chained behind a '72 FORD 5000...everything connected with tongue chained to lead trailer.......each hooked up with 1" drawpin with ring-clip....

6011 is called "Bacon Rod" up here in Canada. It sizzles while making the puddle. Tough welds to make perfect, and more fun trying....6011 is every farmers go to.

7018 takes a little more prep to the champhors, but its hands down a stronger root pass. Used by the box-per-day, when we worked at the Matts Shipyard. Now it Port Windsor......
I always started with tig when it was available, then 7018 to fill the V cut.
But I learned on 6011 & 6013, we knew the heat was right when it sound like cooking eggs, so the same as your bacon.

After 10 years at our previous place, it was time to downgrade the dwelling and upgrade the property so in August of '21 it was goodbye to our 3.7 acres and hello to 34 acres. 10 tillable including the house, leaving the remaining 24 acres to hardwoods for the 3 kids to roam. Logged recently in 2019, the remnants of the skidding roads make great access to the tops left to rot. Cutting the tops to feed the wood stove will be somewhat bittersweet as they provided great cover for the whitetail. I managed to kill a buck and a doe with my bow, and my wife managed to kill her first whitetail with her crossbow.

Amongst the junk piles scattered throughout the wood was this gem, entangled in a mess of old fencing and barbed wire. She was overlooked when things were green and thick and only showed herself once the wood bared all with the turning of the season. One tire still held air, the other off the bead but I was able to get it back on and inflated tonight. Bearings are smooth and a bit of penetrant on the rotating trailer jack and it was free and operational. She has no suspension, just a (previously sleeved) cast I-beam axle welded to the frame and a drawbar hitch. Any remnants of the 4'x8' wood deck were removed with a few screws still needing to be cleared away. Our 28x40 pole barn had some miscellaneous rough-sawn lumber from what I believe to be old livestock stalls which will be repurposed for the decking.

The neighbor next door is the daughter of the folks who, now passed, built the house and barn in 1972 and said this trailer was used by their dad to bring firewood up to the house. The tillable was once all pasture for horses but has been row-cropped for the last 12 years or so. It will be nice to reclaim the tillable back to pasture for raising beef and using the woods for hogs.

Anywho, follow along if you please as I give this ole girl new life and get her back to what she was built for. She will be spending her days as a companion to my John Deere 4600 tractor.
View attachment 956733

Taming widow makers and making firewood this beautiful evening with my MS460 wearing her 25" B&C.
View attachment 956735View attachment 956734
I would buy these machines.
https://www.metsamachines.com/product/vaellan-mpv-wheeler/

https://www.metsamachines.com/product/ultratec-lite-trailer-22301l/

https://www.metsamachines.com/product/japa-315-firewood-processor/

not me! i looked at all 3. $25K to cut up some firewood, and haul it...

some may need it, but down here it rains oak firewood constantly! ~ :yes: all within a couple houses of me...
.:drinkingcoffee:
P1010022.JPGP1010021.JPGP1010004.JPGP1010003.JPG
but to tell ya the truth, liked all 3, especially the processor! 🤩~ i seen the BIG ones at work up in PNW with an 18-wheeler full of logs just down from the high cascades... operator sits high n secure to run it. spits 8 chunks out at a time.... every few secs or so, fill up a dump truck in not time at all. 👍

Back