Log Splitter----ReDo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labans

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mistake for asking a question about a chipper when I was meaning to ask about a hydraulic log splitter.
Anyway the issue still is that we need to buy or build a proper hydraulic log splitter with a 5 hp engine or larger.
Yes, the problem still remains that 98% of the commercially available log splitters have slow return and are slow to begin the split.
When we split 120 logs and lose 30-35 seconds per log, it adds up; so we are looking for a fast-cycling log splitter.
Any help will be appreciated this time.
Thanks,
labans

Gonna need a lot larger then 5hp to utilize any sort of higher flowing pump. 28gpm 2 stage splitter pump needs minimum of 16hp. Gonna need 3/4" hoses, return bypass or regen valve. Custom cylinder with a large rod for faster retraction times. Large volume of oil to keep things cool/oil cooler.
Have you done any research on commercial splitters and processors? There are some very fast cycle times from respectable brands for reasonable prices.
https://www.timberwolfequip.com/

https://www.wolferidgemfg.com/products.php?c=35+HO+Log+Splitter&mode=item&inv_id=9

https://www.eastonmadewoodsplitters.com/

The list goes on and on. I've worked on a timer wolf processor several times over the years. The cylinder/ splitting end is basically the same as one of their larger splitters, something like a 6-7 second cycle time.
Experience From building my own splitter says its simply not worth it, however I got all my metal basically free to build it. I have plans to make another splitter/ mini processor but it will cost every bit ad much as a commercially available model, of not a bit more in the end. If inwas a commercial/ higher volume then I currently am, I'd suck it up and buy one. Having parts available if something goes wrong is worth a lot when you're trying to make money instead of one off stuff from building one. I screwed up quite a bit with the first splitter to learn what works too. My beam is still too light, and I ended up having to reinforce it. Broke the wedge off it a few times till I figured out what worked. I get a lot of big gnarly wood and mainly work by myself so speed wasn't a big concern as much as having ample power on tap. Hence why I went with a 5" cylinder over a 3 or 4" cylinder. (The splitter I used before had a 3" cylinder and got stuck a lot, gets old sawing a 24-26" buck off a wedge 6" into the buck.)

Gonna need a lot larger then 5hp to utilize any sort of higher flowing pump. 28gpm 2 stage splitter pump needs minimum of 16hp. Gonna need 3/4" hoses, return bypass or regen valve. Custom cylinder with a large rod for faster retraction times. Large volume of oil to keep things cool/oil cooler.
Have you done any research on commercial splitters and processors? There are some very fast cycle times from respectable brands for reasonable prices.
https://www.timberwolfequip.com/

https://www.wolferidgemfg.com/products.php?c=35+HO+Log+Splitter&mode=item&inv_id=9

https://www.eastonmadewoodsplitters.com/

The list goes on and on. I've worked on a timer wolf processor several times over the years. The cylinder/ splitting end is basically the same as one of their larger splitters, something like a 6-7 second cycle time.
Experience From building my own splitter says its simply not worth it, however I got all my metal basically free to build it. I have plans to make another splitter/ mini processor but it will cost every bit ad much as a commercially available model, of not a bit more in the end. If inwas a commercial/ higher volume then I currently am, I'd suck it up and buy one. Having parts available if something goes wrong is worth a lot when you're trying to make money instead of one off stuff from building one. I screwed up quite a bit with the first splitter to learn what works too. My beam is still too light, and I ended up having to reinforce it. Broke the wedge off it a few times till I figured out what worked. I get a lot of big gnarly wood and mainly work by myself so speed wasn't a big concern as much as having ample power on tap. Hence why I went with a 5" cylinder over a 3 or 4" cylinder. (The splitter I used before had a 3" cylinder and got stuck a lot, gets old sawing a 24-26" buck off a wedge 6" into the buck.)
Thank you very much for excellent info. This will help us get a new splitter.

Be aware of advertising hype. do your own math for timing. same with tonnage. Sure you can use a big pump and 1/2" lines to make faster, but the cost is high heat from fluid friction which is the bane of hydraulics. Boils down to how fast you fill and empty the cylinder. 3/4" ports all around . 3/4 inch internal line and Hi flow connectors 3/4' of course course there are larger diameter components around also, bigger is better but begets more $$$ up front. I run twin 4 X6 ' schedule 40 rectangular tubes welded together all around ( thats apx 1/4" thick walls) so that gives me a 1/2" or so rib down the center line. At 30 tons and a real ball buster of a round, I still can see the beam flex just a smidgen. Processors generally have limit on size say 10-12" dia. of the rounds, like anything else they are built to a price point.

All the links I posted have videos with them running what they sell. Very easy to time them, and unlike box store stuff their tonnage rating is pretty much spot on.

My mistake for asking a question about a chipper when I was meaning to ask about a hydraulic log splitter.
Anyway the issue still is that we need to buy or build a proper hydraulic log splitter with a 5 hp engine or larger.
Yes, the problem still remains that 98% of the commercially available log splitters have slow return and are slow to begin the split.
When we split 120 logs and lose 30-35 seconds per log, it adds up; so we are looking for a fast-cycling log splitter.
Any help will be appreciated this time.
Thanks,
labans
[Lost post where did it go/come from]
I think you will find a general retail splitter that will suit you just fine. Spend some quiet time on YouTube and watch any model you are interested in to help decide before buying. Whether you want a push through design with a 'generally' thin wedge or a stationary design with the wider 'generally' wedge on the sled. Both of mine are not push through designs. One is a retail Champion and the other is homemade. Both of mine have a wide wedge on my sled/piston and many times I only have to enter the round a few inches and the round pops, so rarely do I need a full stroke which increases cycle time. Unfortunately, your splitter will depend on your wood source.
[New post]
For my home use only and both of mine are not the push through design. One is retail and one is homemade. Your wood supply and purpose will probably dictate your splitter type. My choice on a store bought push through would be the Rugged made 37 ton with log lift. Had I seen this unit before my build I would have bought it. For the stationary type, my research choice was the Champion without log lift. I believe a log lift is necessary and you can mod a unit or see several lift types from Ruggedmade. The models mentioned in earlier posts are top notch and I could not justify the price for MY home use. Spend some time on YouTube and watch the different types of splitters demonstrated with all kinds of wood, then decide. Good luck and keep us posted with your choice.

The one I built was from the remnants of an heirloom my dad cobbled together (with me) in the late '70's, so it had a lot of sentimental value to me. I needed a lift and something for larger rounds that might not fit on a lift and tailored it to my height. My labor and welding cost me nothing, materials were purchased at discount or leftovers, but would throw me over the top of I had to pay retail for it. That said, this is what I was building before I saw the RuggedMade when it was at $3k or just below. If I didn't have a splitter, for my purposes, the 37 would be the one I would buy today, and if I had to pay for my full labor and materials on my build, I could easily have purchased two of them without all the D&R.

Screenshot_20240406-083546~2.png

Latest posts

Back