Building a logging (hobby) trailer w/Winch onboard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper_T

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Advice Needed /Appreciated: if you want to skip to the punch line ignore "background".

Background:
Small plot homesteader in N. East Florida... Clearing land for a home and working garage in future. I wanted to take advantage of ally of big 'Turkey Oak' (red) from the hurricanes that come through here. I found this site and have been learning about saws, felling, and chainsaw mills etc...

The idea:
Dawned on me that I could use an equipment trailer for building materials and a hobby logging trailer. Bought a 22' trailer, had thick 1/4 angle iron sides up 2' built, and a platform to mount a HD winch for logs. I am mounting two deep cycle marine batteries Group 65, 750 CCA) in my truck box in parallel to power the Winch, and a 30amp Solar trickle charger to keep batteries topped off in between uses as the sun shines.

Advice:
I haven't put all of this together yet... I didn't see tons of photos on YT on building a hobby Logging trailer--- that said, i have no clue what I am doing here. Are there some considerations in this build I need to be mindful of? What are they? What safety concerns have I not thought of with a rig like this? Is my truckle charger weak as **** for two marine batteries? Should I double the solar/ ampere in a Trickle Charger?

Thanks in advance for the comment... Always open to learn---- but I prefer not always the hardway...

Skipper T

What is your version of a log trailer? I assume you are just winching them up on to the deck, or are you thinking of some type of a gantry system.

Solar chargers are primarily for topping off/maintaining. They'll eventually charge a battery so long as it isn't too depleted. You mentioned them being in your truck box, is this a box mounted on your truck or on your trailer? Tying the batteries into your trucks charging system? You really need a charging source while winching if you will be working the winch to any degree. Otherwise as the battery voltage drops the winch capability quickly drops. This happens quicker than most realize.

I've done winches on 2 of my trailers. Use both for dragging logs on. First, the battery idea sucks. Keeping up with them sucks and they always go dead at a bad time. Just suck it up and run dedicated cables from the truck to the winch. Save weight on the trailer and is way less agitation in the long run. Even 4 group 31 deep cycle batteries gets you a meh trailers worth with the voltage running down pretty low. It's hard on the winch and selinoids to boot.
Mount the winch up off the deck. It's a pain for virtually everything down there. Yes it will take some thought and planning to make sure it's braced right and won't rip off, but we'll worth it. Also make sure you mount it flush or behind the front of the trailer. Another screw up with my deck over. I was so worried about the batteries and the box to hold them, I mounted the winch on the trailer deck. 1 it takes up too much room. 2 it pulls everything down into the deck, which is the opposite of what you want dragging logs on.
I still have plans to make a log arch for my utility trailer, but haven't had the time to get around to it. Sure saves a bunch if fiddling around though, and you don't have to ramp logs on top of logs.
Few pics of installing the winch (13k lb) on the utility trailer. No pics of underneath, but I did tie everything together to the tongue and main frame.

Attachments

• 20230206_174226.jpg
    20230206_174226.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230202_173432.jpg
    20230202_173432.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
I've done winches on 2 of my trailers. Use both for dragging logs on. First, the battery idea sucks. Keeping up with them sucks and they always go dead at a bad time. Just suck it up and run dedicated cables from the truck to the winch. Save weight on the trailer and is way less agitation in the long run. Even 4 group 31 deep cycle batteries gets you a meh trailers worth with the voltage running down pretty low. It's hard on the winch and selinoids to boot.
Mount the winch up off the deck. It's a pain for virtually everything down there. Yes it will take some thought and planning to make sure it's braced right and won't rip off, but we'll worth it. Also make sure you mount it flush or behind the front of the trailer. Another screw up with my deck over. I was so worried about the batteries and the box to hold them, I mounted the winch on the trailer deck. 1 it takes up too much room. 2 it pulls everything down into the deck, which is the opposite of what you want dragging logs on.
I still have plans to make a log arch for my utility trailer, but haven't had the time to get around to it. Sure saves a bunch if fiddling around though, and you don't have to ramp logs on top of logs.
Few pics of installing the winch (13k lb) on the utility trailer. No pics of underneath, but I did tie everything together to the tongue and main frame.
Awesome feedback!! A few questions though...

1) Winch Mounting--- Great idea---> Yes... bracket will be welded in front of the trailer deck with angle iron, close to level of the deck (in front)

2) What is your Battery set up on your Logging trailer now? What sized wire did you use + how long are your runs?

3) Logging Arch--- send pics of what you are envisioning to build so I understand this comment? I think you mean the two-wheeled thing that trees hand from-- like a helper of sorts? Sorry-- newbie here-- just getting the lingo down here-- and identify all of these items...

4) Beefy welding set up!! Love the arch tying down forward toward the tongue...

5) Probably a dumb question--- but have you ever lightly oiled or used Dishsoapy water to Spray on the trailer wood to reduce friction of pulling logs on it and give your winch a break?

I have a big jump box I keep hooked to my battery when winching. It is generally lasts satisfactorily for the number of logs I pull up in a load. One thing I do for larger logs is use a snatch block with the winch tied back to the headache rack. It decreases the draw on the winch plus forces more cable out which also helps. The more wraps you pay off the winch the more pulling capacity you gain. Think changing the front cogs on a bicycle, the smaller diameter provides more torque. And again, less draw on the winch.
Never greased the deck, that would leave a mess afterwards and create potential hazards for other loads on the trailer. If your going to build a head ache rack to mount your winch the best thing you can do is get it up off the deck a good bit to pick up on the front of the log. Mine is mounted about 4ft off the deck. Yes it needs to be built stout at that height. 2 x 8 heavy wall rectangle tube welded to the frame with 1-1/2" angle tied back toward the front of the tongue frame for support.

How has it been working out after you beefed up the mount a bit?
looks good. Do some vids the next time you drag a log with it 😀

Awesome feedback!! A few questions though...

1) Winch Mounting--- Great idea---> Yes... bracket will be welded in front of the trailer deck with angle iron, close to level of the deck (in front)

2) What is your Battery set up on your Logging trailer now? What sized wire did you use + how long are your runs?

3) Logging Arch--- send pics of what you are envisioning to build so I understand this comment? I think you mean the two-wheeled thing that trees hand from-- like a helper of sorts? Sorry-- newbie here-- just getting the lingo down here-- and identify all of these items...

4) Beefy welding set up!! Love the arch tying down forward toward the tongue...

5) Probably a dumb question--- but have you ever lightly oiled or used Dishsoapy water to Spray on the trailer wood to reduce friction of pulling logs on it and give your winch a break?
1. Get it up off the deck, even 12" is noticeable difference in pulling, you're not pulling down so hard at that point.
2, like I said before I don't use batteries in the red trailer pictured. My deck over has 4 group 31 deep cycle batteries. It's a pain and I'll never deal with batteries again on a trailer. Besides the obvious cost, it adds a ton of weight to the front of the trailer and is considerable maintenance+making sure they are charged.
The red trailer has 4-0ga wire ran to the winch. My truck is hard wired, but I have the jumper cable set up as well.

3. The log arch goes on the back of the trailer to pick up the logs and load them easier. Not made yet. So no pictures, pretty easy to find on a Google search. Currently skid the logs up a ramp, or load with the tractor/skid loader if available.

5. No, I have not, nor would I. The deck over has a 12k lb winch and the red one is 13k lb, at most I've doubled over the winch.
The winch on the deck over is a really old gorilla winch (aka first gen horror freight.) It's not built for long pulls (and low batteries don't help either.) So it gets very hot after a long pull. Like hot enough you can't pit your hand on it. It doesn't owe me anything, so when it goes ill happily replace it.
I haven't had any issues with the red trailers winch. It is geared a good bit lower then my deck over winch. It also doesn't experience the voltage drop from running off the truck. (Let the truck run and have a hand throttle to keep the rpm up a bit.)
How has it been working out after you beefed up the mount a bit?
looks good. Do some vids the next time you drag a log with it 😀
Near zero flex after I added in extra bracing like was discussed on the other thread. Only thing I don't care for, is the cheap remote (cordless) doesn't have much range. So I may have to retrofit something else.
I'll have to try and get some footage at some point. I don't usually have any help with me, amd don't keep my phone on me much when I'm working. Possibly after I get an arch built for it.

I have a big jump box I keep hooked to my battery when winching. It is generally lasts satisfactorily for the number of logs I pull up in a load. One thing I do for larger logs is use a snatch block with the winch tied back to the headache rack. It decreases the draw on the winch plus forces more cable out which also helps. The more wraps you pay off the winch the more pulling capacity you gain. Think changing the front cogs on a bicycle, the smaller diameter provides more torque. And again, less draw on the winch.
Never greased the deck, that would leave a mess afterwards and create potential hazards for other loads on the trailer. If your going to build a head ache rack to mount your winch the best thing you can do is get it up off the deck a good bit to pick up on the front of the log. Mine is mounted about 4ft off the deck. Yes it needs to be built stout at that height. 3 x 8 heavy wall rectangle tube welded to the frame with 1-1/2" angle tied back toward the front of the tongue frame for support.
Please post a few pics of your rig?

1. Get it up off the deck, even 12" is noticeable difference in pulling, you're not pulling down so hard at that point.
2, like I said before I don't use batteries in the red trailer pictured. My deck over has 4 group 31 deep cycle batteries. It's a pain and I'll never deal with batteries again on a trailer. Besides the obvious cost, it adds a ton of weight to the front of the trailer and is considerable maintenance+making sure they are charged.
The red trailer has 4-0ga wire ran to the winch. My truck is hard wired, but I have the jumper cable set up as well.

3. The log arch goes on the back of the trailer to pick up the logs and load them easier. Not made yet. So no pictures, pretty easy to find on a Google search. Currently skid the logs up a ramp, or load with the tractor/skid loader if available.

5. No, I have not, nor would I. The deck over has a 12k lb winch and the red one is 13k lb, at most I've doubled over the winch.
The winch on the deck over is a really old gorilla winch (aka first gen horror freight.) It's not built for long pulls (and low batteries don't help either.) So it gets very hot after a long pull. Like hot enough you can't pit your hand on it. It doesn't owe me anything, so when it goes ill happily replace it.
I haven't had any issues with the red trailers winch. It is geared a good bit lower then my deck over winch. It also doesn't experience the voltage drop from running off the truck. (Let the truck run and have a hand throttle to keep the rpm up a bit.)

Near zero flex after I added in extra bracing like was discussed on the other thread. Only thing I don't care for, is the cheap remote (cordless) doesn't have much range. So I may have to retrofit something else.
I'll have to try and get some footage at some point. I don't usually have any help with me, amd don't keep my phone on me much when I'm working. Possibly after I get an arch built for it.
Batteries:
Copy that... Daamm... I thought I was being a bit OCD by adding a 2nd battery to the mix, sound like I should use two more Group 24 batteries (that I have in the garage) in parallel to juice the 12k Winch... I have ever run a mechanical winch before so I really didn't know what to expect on draws... Most of our trees here in Florida are 18" and under-- as a general statement for North East Florida. Different parts of FL are different.

Log Arch:
After reading about these arch's I search around for one to pull with my truck-- and use with the winch on heavy monster F'ers. I was kinda shocked at the price of what one costs!! I am not a welder yet-- so fabrication is not in the near future. Please tag me when you build yours and post pics. Until then I am checking out looserville Craigslist and my wife's FB account for crap on marketplace. I am also a one man band and do not have a helper yet-- so this arch on wheels sounds good to me! And an arch on a trailer sounds interesting--- I'll have to look for pics on this forum from peeps.

Trailer Log Ramp:
Do you use the equipment ramps on your trailer to haul them up on deck? Do do you use 2qty 4x4 braced apart to create a channel to slide upon deck? Asking stupid questions because I have not used the winch or loaded my first major log yet. I have done it by hand with peavys and leverage -- and they have all been 12" max in diameter.

Thanks for the tips and your set up-- super helpful man...

Please post a few pics of your rig?
I don't have many good shots of the front. These are about the best I can find at the moment. Winch is mounted on 2" receiver so I can simply unpin it when not in use. I store the winch in a garage when not in use. Trailer originally had just the rub rail you see at the front. IMG_20190106_142751139.jpg
Keep in mind this is a tilt deck, hence the reason i built my rack so high. It pulls nicely in line when the deck is dropped. But depending on trailer.set up I'd be inclined to still build it 2-3 ft off the deck regardless. Getting that weight off the front of the log makes a difference.

Attachments

• 20230429_113044.jpg
    20230429_113044.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20200822_071855722_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20201211_132452371_HDR.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 1
Batteries:
Copy that... Daamm... I thought I was being a bit OCD by adding a 2nd battery to the mix, sound like I should use two more Group 24 batteries (that I have in the garage) in parallel to juice the 12k Winch... I have ever run a mechanical winch before so I really didn't know what to expect on draws... Most of our trees here in Florida are 18" and under-- as a general statement for North East Florida. Different parts of FL are different.

Log Arch:
After reading about these arch's I search around for one to pull with my truck-- and use with the winch on heavy monster F'ers. I was kinda shocked at the price of what one costs!! I am not a welder yet-- so fabrication is not in the near future. Please tag me when you build yours and post pics. Until then I am checking out looserville Craigslist and my wife's FB account for crap on marketplace. I am also a one man band and do not have a helper yet-- so this arch on wheels sounds good to me! And an arch on a trailer sounds interesting--- I'll have to look for pics on this forum from peeps.

Trailer Log Ramp:
Do you use the equipment ramps on your trailer to haul them up on deck? Do do you use 2qty 4x4 braced apart to create a channel to slide upon deck? Asking stupid questions because I have not used the winch or loaded my first major log yet. I have done it by hand with peavys and leverage -- and they have all been 12" max in diameter.

Thanks for the tips and your set up-- super helpful man...
I have a ramp specifically for skidding logs up, it's not ideal, but it works. I just toss it in the back of the truck. It's heavy as sin, so it's not really a toss....
This is a log arch for a trailer (not mine)
Screenshot_20231122_073908_Samsung Internet.jpg
Helps quite a bit as it will pick up the log onto the trailer with the winch. Winching is a lot easier when you get the front of the log off the ground.

Batteries, I would really not go with batteries, but of you're real anal about keeping up with them and don't get real big logs, you can get away with 2 batteries. I'd still keep some heavy duty jumper cables on hand so you can charge them off the truck.
I just can't stress enough, how low voltage ramps the amperage up and makes the winch hot, which leads to a mix of issues and isn't good for winch health. Just doing a few logs it won't matter. I get some pretty big logs at times, And do some long pulls as well. Just not worth dealing with the batteries imo, especially when your truck is hooked up to the trailer anyway.

Few more thoughts, or we'll issues with my red trailer, I didn't/ don't have with the deck over. My red trailer is 16 foot with the axles fairly centered under it, possibly a tad closer to the rear of the trailer. I've had a few time dragging larger logs and equipment up on it make the front of the trailer get light enough to push the truck around. Since then, I've kept a cheap set of jack stands in the truck to stick under the back of the frame. If I had a brain (jury is still out on that.) I'd just weld some tube on the back of the trailer and make little pin on feet/stands to toss on. May not be an issue for you.
Another thing I've done is add a bunch of weld on D rings around the deck. Can't ever have enough places to tie stuff down.
Last consideration (which is still up in the air/in the works.) Is adding sides and or posts to the sides to keep the logs from rolling off. (Or being too hard in the fenders.) Several times (especially on the deck over.) I've had to strap the first row of logs down to pull the second row up/stack higher when I'm loading with equipment.

I have a ramp specifically for skidding logs up, it's not ideal, but it works. I just toss it in the back of the truck. It's heavy as sin, so it's not really a toss....
This is a log arch for a trailer (not mine)
View attachment 1129773
Helps quite a bit as it will pick up the log onto the trailer with the winch. Winching is a lot easier when you get the front of the log off the ground.

Batteries, I would really not go with batteries, but of you're real anal about keeping up with them and don't get real big logs, you can get away with 2 batteries. I'd still keep some heavy duty jumper cables on hand so you can charge them off the truck.
I just can't stress enough, how low voltage ramps the amperage up and makes the winch hot, which leads to a mix of issues and isn't good for winch health. Just doing a few logs it won't matter. I get some pretty big logs at times, And do some long pulls as well. Just not worth dealing with the batteries imo, especially when your truck is hooked up to the trailer anyway.
Thanks for the tip-- I have a trip coming up I need a beefy pair of jumpers that will reach to the back of the truck... Maybe a 10' run. Suggestions on a brand worth it's weight?

I don't have many good shots of the front. These are about the best I can find at the moment. Winch is mounted on 2" receiver so I can simply unpin it when not in use. I store the winch in a garage when not in use. Trailer originally had just the rub rail you see at the front. View attachment 1129731
Keep in mind this is a tilt deck, hence the reason i built my rack so high. It pulls nicely in line when the deck is dropped. But depending on trailer.set up I'd be inclined to still build it 2-3 ft off the deck regardless. Getting that weight off the front of the log makes a difference.
Beast of a trailer... Wow, learned something new-- never came across a trailer that tilted in the FRONT. What other industry or profession utilizes this set up?

I SCREWED the pooch. The welder built a frame for winch only 4" off the deck... I didn't know any better till now and took his advice-- as "he builds these winch braces all the time"... Famous last words... I guess I will see how I go, and save some $$ up to fix his welding job... Dammit...

Thanks for the pics!

Latest posts

Back