Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm posting this on Homelite site cuz this an XL-12.. And I have a plethora of Homeys. But could happen on any idiots saw..this was ordinary black hose, I presume, but black goo is all that's left and a pain in the back side to clean. I'm glad I'm not that idiot cuz I know better, but it is quite apparent my idiot neighbor does not. I will let him know, but I'm sure he already knows, that he's an IDIOT!IMG_20180526_090337.jpg

Alcohol in the fuel will turn even a good hose to black goo. I just did a echo cs351 that the tank grommet was a black puddle in the recoil housing.

It's getting really tough to find E10 free gas around my area.Thank goodness I found some E10 free fuel about a month ago.Yeah,I've got to travel a little farther to get it,but it's worth the extra mileage.The aqlcohol that's addedto our gas supply has done way more harm than good.Right now reg.gas (which I don't buy for my equipment,I only use 93 octane) is teetering at $3.00/gal.I have to laugh at the media idiots who are nothing but parrots who say that because of unrest in the Middle East & Venezuela our gas is going up.plus the new summer blend.What a crock! Less than 5% of our crude oil comes from the Middle East & Venezuela,so who are they trying to BS? Then they take our North American crude oil & add alcohol to it trying to"justify" the " fact that there's a shortage".Yeah ,right.It's a political game,has been for over 40 yrs.I'd like to see a saw that runs on propane.Kinda tough because there's the lube factor.There was a diesel saw back in the late '40's,I'd love to get one of those.

It's getting really tough to find E10 free gas around my area.Thank goodness I found some E10 free fuel about a month ago.Yeah,I've got to travel a little farther to get it,but it's worth the extra mileage.The aqlcohol that's addedto our gas supply has done way more harm than good.Right now reg.gas (which I don't buy for my equipment,I only use 93 octane) is teetering at $3.00/gal.I have to laugh at the media idiots who are nothing but parrots who say that because of unrest in the Middle East & Venezuela our gas is going up.plus the new summer blend.What a crock! Less than 5% of our crude oil comes from the Middle East & Venezuela,so who are they trying to BS? Then they take our North American crude oil & add alcohol to it trying to"justify" the " fact that there's a shortage".Yeah ,right.It's a political game,has been for over 40 yrs.I'd like to see a saw that runs on propane.Kinda tough because there's the lube factor.There was a diesel saw back in the late '40's,I'd love to get one of those.
It was the leaded gas for top end lubricant!. Well let's get rid of the lead. And then just like that motors were being manufactured that didn't require lubricant. Hmmmm. Too convenient.

Yeah,I was talkin' about the Comet for the diesel saw.I'll bet they have some awesome torque.
I love the throaty sound of my old MACs when I bury em and work em hard. Probably me but I feel they respond to it and work & growl trying to please me.. Makes me giddy to think about a big ol diesel digg'n in and throwing chips.. Must be an awesome sight. I'm living for the day

I'm with you on that Beetlejuice.I have a Timberbear that my son said he could run all day just because the way it sounds.I just bought a 610 too,can't wait to get it up & running.

I'm with you on that Beetlejuice.I have a Timberbear that my son said he could run all day just because the way it sounds.I just bought a 610 too,can't wait to get it up & running.
I have several 610 carcasses here if ever in need of parts. I liked the 650 a little better because of the comp release. Had problems with the pumps.. Hope yours works better than mine

As far as I know,ALL Mac auto- oil pumps had issues.I talked extensively with Bob Johnson,owner of Bob's Lawnmower Repair in Maryland,N.Y.He said that the bar & chain oil is just too heavy for those impulse oilers.He said to use 10-30,10-40,or cut 1 gal.of bar & chain oil with 1 pint of kerosene or diesel fuel.I've had about 5 or 6 oilers on just about every saw you can think of go bad & I believe it's because the oil is too heavy.It might be OK in the summer when it tends to flow more freely,but when cutting in cooler temps it's better to either use the lighter weight motor oils,or cut it with kerosene.
As for those 610 carcasses,I could've used a chain brake about a week ago,but Bob Johnson fixed me up with a new one at a really good price.The problem with the 610's is that there were so many different variations on the chain brakes.He had to have my ser.# to know which one I needed.
I really don't need a decomp.valve on a 60 cc.sawI've got a Homelite 540,& a Homelite XP-1000 & neither one of those saws has a decomp.valve on it.The 540 is 88cc & the Xp-1000 is 100 cc.I've had 4 neck surgeries & 2 back surgeries & I'm still able to pull'em over.Lol

As far as I know,ALL Mac auto- oil pumps had issues.I talked extensively with Bob Johnson,owner of Bob's Lawnmower Repair in Maryland,N.Y.He said that the bar & chain oil is just too heavy for those impulse oilers.He said to use 10-30,10-40,or cut 1 gal.of bar & chain oil with 1 pint of kerosene or diesel fuel.I've had about 5 or 6 oilers on just about every saw you can think of go bad & I believe it's because the oil is too heavy.It might be OK in the summer when it tends to flow more freely,but when cutting in cooler temps it's better to either use the lighter weight motor oils,or cut it with kerosene.
As for those 610 carcasses,I could've used a chain brake about a week ago,but Bob Johnson fixed me up with a new one at a really good price.The problem with the 610's is that there were so many different variations on the chain brakes.He had to have my ser.# to know which one I needed.
I really don't need a decomp.valve on a 60 cc.sawI've got a Homelite 540,& a Homelite XP-1000 & neither one of those saws has a decomp.valve on it.The 540 is 88cc & the Xp-1000 is 100 cc.I've had 4 neck surgeries & 2 back surgeries & I'm still able to pull'em over.Lol
With that many surgeries somebody is going to pull you over.. Think I just broke the 250../she came to a screeching halt. what a miserable sound.. Pulled the exhaust an all looked good under her skirt.. Hoping a mag came loose and stopped the flywheel.. Haven't had one be that easy before, but can always hope. No worries on the 610-650's. Least ya know where half dozen+ are.. Washington state

With that many surgeries somebody is going to pull you over.. Think I just broke the 250../she came to a screeching halt. what a miserable sound.. Pulled the exhaust an all looked good under her skirt.. Hoping a mag came loose and stopped the flywheel.. Haven't had one be that easy before, but can always hope. No worries on the 610-650's. Least ya know where half dozen+ are.. Washington state
Addendum... Was a mag against the flywheel. Lost a screw. Not my fault.. Well maybe a little cuz I didn't check it.. Fires right up, with a shiny flywheel

Anybody help me out here? Whatever is this brass screw behind the choke arm on a Tilly carb, and WHAT pray tell does it do?.. Off a Homey 800, 925, something along that order.. IMG_20180528_160336.jpg

Anybody help me out here? Whatever is this brass screw behind the choke arm on a Tilly carb, and WHAT pray tell does it do?.. Off a Homey 800, 925, something along that order.. View attachment 654737

That's a governor. When the saw over rev's to a certain vibrating frequency, a check ball in it opens and allows extra fuel to flow into the venturi

That's a governor. When the saw over rev's to a certain vibrating frequency, a check ball in it opens and allows extra fuel to flow into the venturi
Would that be causing a fuel problem?.. Has lock tite on it, so I guess nonadjustable? Thanks Tim

Back