Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Excell spreadsheet of the parts we have (about 1200 line items I think) if anyone wants to see. I don't have time to mail out a $5 part, but if you are interested in several things we can work something out. Prices listed are from a 2008 dealer price book, so probably lower than current pricing on most things.

Slavery for saws is still legal in Canada!

I'll have to refine my word craft.

Seriously, I had a couple of old saws that he would like and he had a couple of newer saw I would like so we both left happy. He's a great guy and a saw restorer of some renown in the museum and large collector world.
A real stand up guy.

Slavery for saws is still legal in Canada!

I'll have to refine my word craft.

Seriously, I had a couple of old saws that he would like and he had a couple of newer saw I would like so we both left happy. He's a great guy and a saw restorer of some renown in the museum and large collector world.
A real stand up guy.
I'm sure.. I try to read humour into everything and that was a beautiful setup..

VI 922. I'm not sure what the guy was using for bar oil but I'm guessing something from an industrial oil waste tank. Anything outside of the oiler system was like concrete.

Inside it was like gelatin. Both the manual and auto pumps were jammed solid but undamaged and everything else was full of that jelly like god. It took quite awhile to get it freed up and cleaned out but it oils like the usual Texas gusher now. Other than that, a carb kit was all it needed. Still needs a final tune with a run in a log to get the high side.

It's all original and in nice shape. It hasn't run in a long time.

P rev vid only.

Fine looking example Tim. Sounds like the PO of my latest 130 had the same bar oil regiment as yours. I had to soak the pump in Mother Nature's finest gasoline for 2 days before I could even get the worm gear and piston out of the pump. Easily the most aggressive oiler out of all of my 76/130's. I might even go so far as to say it rivals the early Echo pumps. But, at least with those you could moderate them. The downside is that it is getting expensive just to have oil in the tank when you are tuning them. The bright side is my shop floor just shines when I am done.

I often use the 3-point stance when getting up these days. Helps if you have a fat log within arms distance as well.

Here's a project from last year. A little Homelite XL-101 that I picked up from a yard sale for maybe five bucks.

IMG_20170913_200436.jpg IMG_20170913_200454.jpg

I ended up swapping the handle assembly to the later part number which had different threads for the idle screw, which also replaced the epoxy oil tank cover with the bolt-on design. Also swapped in new clutch parts to convert it over to rim sprocket, new oil line... handful of other stuff I can't even remember.

Runs nice and strong, but I usually don't use it for regular cutting because of the manual oiler.

Had the super xl out tonight cutting in some red oak. I ran out of oil at the end. She is still sporting her original 16" homelite hard nose bar.
Love running my vintage saws.

Good runner Kevin. I bought a carb kit for my 380 model resembling the tatt on your arm. I liked yours so I thought I'd get mine going.

Went and ran a couple of tanks through the latest Super XL-130. Rings need to seat still. I am thinking the throttle shutter/bore may be worn a tad as there is some obvious lateral play. I swapped from the external idle screw to an internal, so the different contact point on the stop may be contributing to it. Every once in awhile it seemed to hang up a bit when released. A quick blip and it returned fine.

Managed to cover my boots with chips properly, though.

Homelite Super XL-130 June 2018 (1).JPG

Clip is a tad long. Some funny sounding guy from BC went on rambling for a minute or so at the beginning.

Latest posts

Back