What was your first?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
What was the first saw you stripped right down and completely rebuilt and how did it run? Do you still have it? I grew up in the boreal forest region of Ontario where paper mills were the main industry and the early saws that appeared in the bushcamps were IEL Pioneers , then 450 and 650 Pioneers. D44 McCullochs were popular as well as some Homelites and Remingtons . I had a 650 Pioneer given to me in a box and it was fairly complete so I stripped it right down, cleaned everything, replaced what needed replacing, painted what needed to be painted and put it all back together. Ran like a big heavy Swiss watch, consistent idle and would pull the chain on its puny 16" hardnose bar through anything. Paper mill wanted black spruce and jack pine which were seldom more that 12" in diameter, so why sharpen more teeth than you have to? Unfortunately, about 5 years later, my house was broken into and thieves made off with it as well as a D44 McCulloch I had recently rebuilt. Hope he found out the hard way what kickback is.

I’ve never tore a saw completely down and rebuilt one yet but I need too!

My first saw was a Stihl 019T I bought when I was 16 for $75. I still have it and recently completely tore it down to deep clean it. Still runs like new.

Mine was a little Remington mighty mite but the Poulan 3400 was my firewood saw and yes I still have both of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was actually a very pretty red headed Irish gal. Her daddy had a library the size of my whole house today. He was a big shot in the manufacturing of all the aluminum on the east coast. Who knew I was dumb and in the fast women and faster car mode.

Pretty green alien with purple hair :laugh: that was sold used as runs perfect. Not, base gasket was ripped and top was scored. But did run somewhat. :dizzy:

Friend down the road still owns it today and cuts firewood with it. Tried getting it back and 2 others but he has a firm grip on them.

He owns 3 of these that I had at one time.

poulans.jpg

Ryobi ry10532. It was worth rebuilding to me because it was the first saw i owned and i still have it.

2dJYeR9DZKTFdbXdyvFq2xfChRSc0fCld765uhYiGUS6Fv-1prq17EhcZej4Wb66zD3CQrTVxsOskjdzzYayHfAJrILoGDIpxmAs9lGQP96Pf8s-IOTvf4NVU0EamrUnDccvg6IUDo7dbygrjlBkvnfvGTWP8iwWJwqID5UoIL5jxQ4AA_QG5Z-R-uGsQoJDWu6dMbQZq5src_vdCIksmKEYUUkgteTjUPF_3yLuN7I-cUHfUMHN3vO1YOnYY99fCITUSGoI7iQ2JDP_Vphcezu_OreCVNXd5kUrKSHlN2zwkT7jSNDxEWOUZrRnIgj60iCN4DH8WrIvWepi2lXAwHnIGDtzEysobYh4UC1F-sjj8O3-DIhhw0GeeDYlUhAjb_NxaFTcAibPkbovB8BFwh0GsrmmTGTa8skqRNDhOi_7srlY-8kRCQNLK7RV8wYDX68PZYGl7ImwfuuZhoU3v8mLi9ZiWJivbqOZZ055iJGfJVHgpRH_ausGqWdUhjahBctwFNxlnp3whGbkj7-N3QcsFR68FUC0XESChYoC83AvcQqJv6PVkV0LUn2Fr6BEj49nF9m29Cp81ApJ2zgXyjVfjQ=w1305-h978-no

I like the saw choice, not so much the fat chick choice but we all have to start somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After a while though a fat chick is better than no chick. I’m not sure all of us have been there but I can say that I’m guilty.

Back