550xp or 555

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Surrett

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the site! Looking for advice on a new firewood saw, currently looking at the husqvarna 555 and 550xp, have awesome husky dealer nearby and Mostly because those are in my budget. Live in Alabama, 26yrs old and cut 10-12 cords a year mostly oak, pecan, sweet gum, and hickory the biggest averaging around 20-24” Currently have a worn out jonesred 2255 and a husky 440. Which one would be better suited for my needs?

I second the 555. I did a muffler mod and it flat out rips. With a sharp chain on the 24" bar, I can bury it in oak and it keeps on cutting. I really like the autotune also, the saw is far less finicky and sensitive to weather swings. Throttle response is very snappy also compared my older carbed husky's.

I have the 550 and its an alright saw! sometimes I wish it had a tad bit more go juice in a log/tree over 14"(red oak) ! but for what it is a lite and fast saw with a sharp chain I will not complain!!! to stay in the 50 cc range the 555 might satisfy your thirst for the right saw/power band..... cut on and "WELCOME TO THE SITE".....

555 is a detuned 562 (60 cc) which will have more power than a 550 at the expense of weight. With a muffler mod and timing advance that 555 will really run strong.

550 is IMO the best small wood/limbing saw ever built. But cutting 20” plus wood would give the 555 the nod.

Triple nickel. Solid saw and in a pinch could run a 25" for a larger tree take down on occasion. Probably the most overlooked 59cc firewood chainsaw out there. Plus you get an orange chain cover! Buy the oil to double the warranty. Welcome to the site. It won't end with just a 555 or 550 if you stick around....

I have always been about simplicity. 5 years ago i would say 555. But MAN i love my auto tune. That being said. 20” logs.......?

A slightly modified 555 would be better IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO the best fierwood saw is the one YOU want. I wanted a 562xp for my fierwood saw. And its the best in my eyes.

Somone else might want a 450 rancher. That may be the best saw.

It all comes down to just get what you want as long as the displacement of the saw can accomplish what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys new to the site! Looking for advice on a new firewood saw, currently looking at the husqvarna 555 and 550xp, have awesome husky dealer nearby and Mostly because those are in my budget. Live in Alabama, 26yrs old and cut 10-12 cords a year mostly oak, pecan, sweet gum, and hickory the biggest averaging around 20-24” Currently have a worn out jonesred 2255 and a husky 440. Which one would be better suited for my needs?
Welcome to AS Jake.
As the others have said the 555 is a great saw for a one saw firewood plan and it will output the 2255 you already have.
But if the two other saws have done a great job then you might want to get a 550, sell the other two saws, then add a 365(As @mesupra said) or 372 down the rd.

To answer the OP's question, the 555.

I am not a real fan of the 500 series. I got rid of a 550XPG as I have two 346XP's that are ported. Not a good comparison granted but there is a significant difference in performance. I am on my 2nd 562XP, traded for 1st for a heated handle model. They way fines get past the filter I don't know how long it will run before blowing up. It is very smooth and makes great power, more than both 357XP's I have. But the latter aren't plagued by occasional hot start issues either. All of the 3xx series listed start first pull every time once warm. The same can't be said for the 5xx series.

To answer the OP's question, the 555.

I am not a real fan of the 500 series. I got rid of a 550XPG as I have two 346XP's that are ported. Not a good comparison granted but there is a significant difference in performance. I am on my 2nd 562XP, traded for 1st for a heated handle model. They way fines get past the filter I don't know how long it will run before blowing up. It is very smooth and makes great power, more than both 357XP's I have. But the latter aren't plagued by occasional hot start issues either. All of the 3xx series listed start first pull every time once warm. The same can't be said for the 5xx series.
Believe those hot start issues are more operator related. Never had a problem, if did not restart on first pull, set on high idle and re-fire. Might just be how my two 562's and friends two 562's start though. But, I did open a slot on my older 562's cover, to let off heat. Have owned a few 346's and 357's, would stick with 562's, to each his own. Sharp chains are a bigger deal on those saws, to me.

Back