Sweetgum or hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dereks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
20181202_111326.jpg 20181201_144657.jpg
Have gotten a lot of this wood in the past few days and it's extremely green and hard to split. Is it sweetgum or hickory because I have seen a forum where someone asked about black hickory and it looks Similar to this until it's sat out for a few days in the sun.

Almost positive it's sweet Gum, not hickory.
I won't even attempt splitting Gum by hand and it's barely adequate for firewood, decent heat but bunches up when using a splitter.

Never been around sweet gum but the first pics look exactly like the Hickory we have here in iowa, right down to the black center and light outer wood. Hickory is tough to split when green too.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Non of those leaves are from the tree yo are splitting. Gum twist as it grows making it nearly impossible to get a straight split.

View attachment 687793 View attachment 687794
Have gotten a lot of this wood in the past few days and it's extremely green and hard to split. Is it sweetgum or hickory because I have seen a forum where someone asked about black hickory and it looks Similar to this until it's sat out for a few days in the sun.
That wood is Gumwood no doubt about it .

I don't find any of the gums to be good for firewood. But Black gum is especially useful just because it IS hard to split.
Pioneers used to make wagon wheel hubs out of BG because it was so tough. Good stuff for that.
BB

Back