Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I am still alive.

Was sick as hell for a couple days on the antibiotics. The spot where I was bitten by the damn tick seems to be more red now, so I do not know if it is the antibiotics getting rid of it of the disease or if they have just pissed it off....

Seems as though my fatigue is going down. I am no longer crashing at 7pm at night. Still have muscle soreness that does not go away.

We had -40 for two nights in a row up here. Warmer and snowing today then supposed to have highs below zero for a week straight.

Keep on scrounging. Will catch you guys another day.
Hope you lick this thing soon. On the upside, there is now a tick who's bite makes you allergic to red meat! Be glad it wasn't that one!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Ecofans - they use a TEG to generate a watt or 3, enough to turn afan. Cheap ones on amazon/eba etc for about £30 ....they seem as good as the expensive ones for 3 times that (I have one of each). or get a lovely Stirling engined fan...taller so you need more space, and cost nore like £250, but ooooo so beautiul. If i had a tall enough fireplace I'd have a Stirling engined fan!

Woodchip, I agree with Jeff, you seem to be past the limit of your stove. You either need a second stove or a bigger stove.

Steve, yay! glad to hear you are feeling better! did i read that right though...minus 40? F? what's that in real units? on second thought...its Damn cold and that's all i need to know! I'm glad we don't get that in London. We are having a 'cold spell' over night lows of about freezing to -1C...its fairly typical for the time of year but cycling home from work in sleety wet snow fall tonight euk....now sat between the two ickle stoves both roaring balls out :D toasty!

20190122_130437.jpg Went to my spot today. Decided to much ice to take the truck up so I decided to walk in. 20190122_131618.jpg So off I went with the 490 and fiskars to work on the next two cherries.20190122_134158.jpg Got the first one mostly done and ran out of gas. Should have filled the saw before leaving the truck. Have to go back tomorrow and split what's there and cut the other one

Big slip due to all the rain this year. Scored this 18” Hickory about 70’ of stem, just in time to season for my new to me Jotul. Hopefully 1 year will be enough!
68815cac1ee4103a24be6053371e35f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the first one mostly done and ran out of gas. Should have filled the saw before leaving the truck. Have to go back tomorrow and split what's there and cut the other one

Sounds like something Id do! The Fiskars will knock that Cherry apart easily in my experience. Nice stuff.

sixonetonoffun, Mid 90's Pacific Western. I'm told it has to be one of the last ones still in use. I bought it used. I've been planning to build a steel OWB to replace it but am still collecting some parts. There is no way I would buy a new one, I would either buy used again or build my own. The scary part is that the purchase price of the OWB might not be more expensive than the exchangers, water lines and fittings that you will need. I bought most of my supplies in bulk so saved a few dollars but I also have a bunch of stuff left over that I should sell. This exchanger alone was US $600 I have 4 of them, then a plate exchanger, a tube exchanger and $3000 in insulated lines. 20181125_120955.jpg 20181125_120941.jpg 20181125_120647.jpg 20181130_201523.jpg P

did i read that right though...minus 40? F? what's that in real units? on second thought...its Damn cold and that's all i need to know!
Ha! Actually, -40 is the same temperature °F or °C - it's the point where the lines intersect. Cold either way to be sure.

Scored this 18” Hickory about 70’ of stem

Real nice looking wood there, and looks like some of the old logging roads we have … right on the edge of disaster!

Some of the logging roads near here are so steep, I wonder if they cabled themselves up! Hard to imagine they could just drive up w/o tipping back over!

Sounds like something Id do! The Fiskars will knock that Cherry apart easily in my experience. Nice stuff.
The Fiskars pretty much splits anything easy. @Multifaceted has me interested in the axe cord wood challenge so I might try my hand at getting are old craftsman chopper rehung and sharpened and go for it.

Big slip due to all the rain this year. Scored this 18” Hickory about 70’ of stem, just in time to season for my new to me Jotul. Hopefully 1 year will be enough!
68815cac1ee4103a24be6053371e35f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice score on the "snob" wood. 1 year is pushing to get a good burn out of it. I'm burning some now @14-15% MC and i wish it was a tad drier. I usually C/S/S and top cover on pallets.

The Fiskars pretty much splits anything easy. @Multifaceted has me interested in the axe cord wood challenge so I might try my hand at getting are old craftsman chopper rehung and sharpened and go for it.

That's great to hear! Good luck, happy chopping, and be safe :)

Hey guys, I am still alive.

Keep on scrounging. Will catch you guys another day.
I've been sensing a great disturbance in the force... plus the total "like" count is down by at least 50%. Get better so you can be out there motivating us to keep up with you!

Latest posts

Back