Husqvarna 390XP vs Stihl 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up the 390, now it's time to find a 32" bar & chain...

20190309_172715_jpg-871646.JPG

20190309_172725_jpg-871647.JPG

5735920981_jpg-871650.JPG

You’ll enjoy the 390. I run one at work with either a 28 or 32” bar. You can bury the 32” in oak and the saw doesn’t skip a beat. That saw gets abused and it just keeps on going. We use it for milling on occasion as well.

Any suggestions on a 32" bar?

We are running an Oregon Power Match on ours. I wouldn’t spend a ton of money and run the risk of bending it, especially if you aren’t used to running longer bars. The longer bar is almost a hindrance if you don’t actually need it, but the saw handles it well when the job calls for it.

i run an oregon 32 on my 375xp i like it its heavy enough to make for good balance i run .063 skip tooth square chain too

I run everything from a 20" hardnose for dirty dirty wood up to a 42" sprocket nose for milling on 390xp. I have cross cut a 48" Live Oak with the 42" but the saw didn't like it. Changed to 36" and it was a much happier saw . 42" would not mill the live oak in an Alaskan. 36" struggled after I trimmed the log vertically but that wood is rough with any size bar.

32" is when it's a happy saw in any type of wood, even live oak. it eats pecan trees which is pretty dadgum hard wood. I set rakers with my Husqvarna progressive gauge for "soft wood" so it's very aggressive in these harder woods but a joy to run if you just let gravity do its job and don't apply force. Red oak is like cutting pine.

Oh, I forgot. I love this saw for everything except limbing. I've run a buddy's 460 a couple of times. Nice saw, but the vibration difference is very very noticeable in my hands after an hour or so. ( I'm 64 yo and my hands don't feel the same as in my youth after a heavy cutting day)

Back