Lathes for port work advice needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Reaction score
This isn't the correct spot to post this but nobody will see it unless posted here...

Pretty certain I'm going to buy a lathe so I can start doing my own machine work instead of farming it out. I have it boiled down to these options. Chinese 7x14 mini lathe which is sold from many companies here in the states. Or a vintage lathe of similar size. I don't really want to spend more than $800 on one. I'll have to spend a decent amount more on tooling once I get one..

The 7x14 seems like a bare minimum for cutting cylinders. But the support for parts and overall use of the Chinese lathes is very good. I've been watching CL and occasionally an old lathe pops up. Usually Atlas lathes, either the 6x18 or 12x36. Prices for these are usually around 7-1500. My concern with picking up an older lathe is the wear on the lathe, parts, and general support. Where if I buy a Chinese model I can have it shipped to my door, parts are plentiful and there's tons of information on them.

Any thoughts on this??

A search on this site and the other one will answer a lot of your questions. I seem to remember reading the China lathes need help right out of the box.

I've read everything on AS and the other forum there is about the subject. I've read a ton online about it in general also. Just looking for first hand advice as far as using either lathes for port work.

Just out of my curiosity, why a lathe and not a vertical or horizontal mill?

I read a thread on here where someone mentioned using a mill instead but that's as far as the conversation went. It seems like a lathe is the tool of choice for base, squish band, and piston cutting. I am open to suggestions. The machine shop I use now, who do excellent work have never mentioned using a mill. I would think they would know which tool is best suited.

Was just a general question. If you never bore, need to do occasional valve work, or billet machine, I am sure a lathe would be fine.

I play with a few more things than just saws, so I was curious.

Mills tend to be more expensive, especially new, but they depend on features and axis. Kick myself for not picking up a local vertical 4 or 5 axis mill for 500 last fall, complete with a huge list of ends and fully functional (guy got too old to use it anymore).

I have done no cylinder porting or major saw mods to be honest. But as a machinist, I would stay away from anything Chinese. A decent solid American made lathe would be ideal for tight tolerances. Not to mention would have some retail value in the future just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me 9" swing would be the minimum for cylinder mods, mines 10" and seems a bit too close sometimes.
Even though 7" sounds like plenty for something as small as a saw cylinder, the carriage often gets in the way for this type of work and really has to be taken into consideration.
So to a degree it depends on how the carriage of a particular lathe model is designed but it's better to have a little leeway there.

Bummer, most the smaller stuff I’m seeing around has a 6-9” swing. Nice atlas 618 south of me that’s tempting.

Bummer, most the smaller stuff I’m seeing around has a 6-9” swing. Nice atlas 618 south of me that’s tempting.
If I only wanted to drop $500, had to have it, and nothing used was available locally, I'd buy a 7x14. But if not, I'd extend my search while I saved some more coin. If I could find an outfitted American lathe, I'd go that way as long as you had room. Parts to outfit them can be expensive though. I bought mine used for $400 and had to buy a 4 jaw chuck and dial indicators. Same as a Grizzly 4000. Parts for the Chinese lathes are relatively inexpensive

I would be willing to pay up to $1200. And pay for tooling at other times. I’m not in a hurry so I’ll see what comes up locally. I just don’t want to buy a basket case old lathe. Would prefer whoever was selling it had actually been using it.

A 9” south bend lathe or larger. I had a 6” & a 9” lathes. I’m putting my shop back together slowly. For tooling go to MSC. But look for a south bend 9” lathe May come with most of the tooling. Watch eBay.

You can do a lot with 6" but it will be limiting.
Could probably spin most cylinders and clear the bed but to cut bases typically the carriage/cross slide goes under the cylinder and I very much doubt something even the size of most 50cc cylinders would clear. I'm sure it could be done but the setups would have to get pretty creative.
I have a 10" south bend and it only swings 3" to the cross slide...

I’m sure I’d go 9” after having both the 6”/9”. Or go 10”? Definitely a south bend with thread cutting. I’m in need of a larger lathe with a bigger hole thru the spindle.

If you can find one, get a Hardinge HLV-H. Those are a very stable lathe. Make the Chinese lathes look like wet spaghetti for bed rigidity. It's an 11x18 lathe that weighs a ton. Feeler makes a nice copy. There's another Taiwanese copy, and I can't remember the name of it now.

Latest posts

Back