Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, I called the dealer today and they said to bring it in without the trailer(of course), then they would take it for a 4-5 mile test run and see what the computer said it was getting. I mentioned the premium fuel thing and she said NO. She said the factory calls for regular and they can not recommend any thing else. I said my friend said it was in the manual. She said, NO, the factory specifies regular. I know my 01 Tahoe specified regular, but they explained why. The Chevy was a lower compression engine, and premium has more carbon in it. the lower compression ratio won't burn all of the carbon and it will start to build up. Anyway, I'll drop the trailer over the weekend and see what it does. I went to WV again yesterday, and it came up from 13 MPG to 15.

Joe, these motors have turbos, if the computer detects they can handle more boost (due to running higher octane fuel) they will no longer be low compression.

Not shure who you spoke to at the dealer, or what her level of expertise is, but I would give it a try.

I just got my manual and I'm going to call BS on the person you spoke to. The Manual says this: (page 189 on the right hand side)

The use of fuels (below 87 octane) could result in damage to your engine not covered by warranty.

"For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained when using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as … when towing a trailer."

"We recommend top tier detergent gasolines …" Premium fuel generally have better detergents.

They also caution you not to run out of fuel, as that can also cause damage not covered by warranty.

Do what you please, but I'm going to run premium. Direct injection injectors clog very easily.

Went firewood scrounging on Anzac day holiday here in Australia. Some great loads of redgum. Trailer load is all dry ready to burn, the little dump truck load is all green needs to be split and stacked for next year.

Attachments

• 20190425_120127.jpg
    20190425_120127.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 20190425_131305.jpg
    20190425_131305.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 20190425_124751.jpg
    20190425_124751.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 20190425_120101.jpg
    20190425_120101.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 35
  • 20190425_170724.jpg
    20190425_170724.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 33
  • 20190425_170854.jpg
    20190425_170854.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
Went firewood scrounging on Anzac day holiday here in Australia. Some great loads of redgum. Trailer load is all dry ready to burn, the little dump truck load is all green needs to be split and stacked for next year.

Looks like a great day! Excellent pics too. How's that 462 going?

Looks like a great day! Excellent pics too. How's that 462 going?
It's a awesome saw. Seems to be getting better with every tank I run through it. Even with that 25" bar with full chisel buried in that redgum stump which was had been down for years (Very hard - not geen) it didn't slow down.

Mike the turbo won't up the pressure for better fuel, it would need a new map in the ECU for that. The extra power on a
Standard map comes purely from advancing the timing. If you are going to stick to high octane your can remap and probably get 30-50% more grunt from it. You'll void your warranty but.... It'll be quick.

They're quick anyways. Thought I might go get some more elm but it just keeps raining. Blahh

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
My coworker had a rental 3.5 expedition for a week while his truck was at the body shop. Couldn't believe how well that tank rolled out.

Mike the turbo won't up the pressure for better fuel, it would need a new map in the ECU for that. The extra power on a
Standard map comes purely from advancing the timing. If you are going to stick to high octane your can remap and probably get 30-50% more grunt from it. You'll void your warranty but.... It'll be quick.

I think you may be wrong. If they designed the engine to run on high test, then had to modify the tune to enable it to run on regular (due to a court order), and if the computer detects the octane level (maybe just through knock sensors) then it will modify more than just the timing. Likely also boost level and VCT. The owners manual would not recommend high test if the engine were not programmed to benefit from it. Timing alone would not make a great difference.

Leaves don't look like oak though. I did some more looking.... black cherry perhaps?

Ah, I thought those leaves were some other ground plant that happened to be in frame.

Yes, looking again the leaves, early flowers and fruit looks like black cherry. The bark doesn't, but sometimes it seems to not get all crackly and craggy until much later in life.

Back