Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry, my brain hasn't been on straight for a long time.

I used to drive through your area 3-4 times a year. Haven't been there since early last year now.
I know, it's all good, there's plenty of other black and red saws to keep it company lol.

Say, if you come across a blown 345 or 350 for cheap that has decent plastics let me know. Eventually I want to build another one of those.
I have one saved in my bookmarks, I think they wanted 60 for it, it was in south bend if you know anyone down there I can get you the info, maybe it's still available. I like my little 2145 with a ported AM 346 cylinder, fun saw and I don't have too much into it, but I'd rather have a ported 550 :D.

I have one saved in my bookmarks, I think they wanted 60 for it, it was in south bend if you know anyone down there I can get you the info, maybe it's still available. I like my little 2145 with a ported AM 346 cylinder, fun saw and I don't have too much into it, but I'd rather have a ported 550 :D.
Thanks, I would probably look for one under 50 as to get the parts together costs quite a bit to end up with a saw that is worth 175 bucks.

Might do another 55 someday too...guess I will never know how long the 55 I built lasts as I'm on the outs with my uncle....oh well LOL. He will get over himself someday, maybe...

Whoa, I can hardly imagine porting a Homelite 550, that thing would pull a 30" bar no problem!:)

My latest scrounge activities;

1) My local tree guy dropped off a load of Grey Box, which is some seriously good firewood (apart from splitting and moving the stuff, it feels like concreate).

2) Visited my sister’s new house in central NSW, they bought 100 acres of land 10% cleared 90% dry woodland. They asked me to bring my dad’s cement mixer so I decided to bring home a load of wood seeing as I had an empty trailer. My BIL cut up the wood in advance, it was a mixture of Brittle gum and Brown bloodwood all very well-seasoned.

I now have basically an unlimited source of seasoned premium hardwood, only problem is they live 450km away so this is my longest range wood scrounge yet. The Ford Territory performed well and I estimate I only used about $10 - $15 more diesel than without a trailer.

Last pic is of the sunset at Coolah tops national park where we spent two nights camping.

upload_2019-5-2_10-31-56.jpg

upload_2019-5-2_10-32-35.png

1) My local tree guy dropped off a load of Grey Box, which is some seriously good firewood (apart from splitting and moving the stuff, it feels like concreate).

2) Visited my sister’s new house in central NSW, they bought 100 acres of land 10% cleared 90% dry woodland. They asked me to bring my dad’s cement mixer so I decided to bring home a load of wood seeing as I had an empty trailer. My BIL cut up the wood in advance, it was a mixture of Brittle gum and Brown bloodwood all very well-seasoned.

I now have basically an unlimited source of seasoned premium hardwood, only problem is they live 450km away so this is my longest range wood scrounge yet. The Ford Territory performed well and I estimate I only used about $10 - $15 more diesel than without a trailer.

Last pic is of the sunset at Coolah tops national park where we spent two nights camping.

View attachment 733401

View attachment 733403

View attachment 733404

View attachment 733402

View attachment 733405

View attachment 733406

View attachment 733407
Gorgeous sunset.

View attachment 733401

View attachment 733403

View attachment 733404

View attachment 733402

View attachment 733405

View attachment 733406

View attachment 733407
Hey honey, I'm gonna go get a load of wood, you want to come lol.
Great pictures.

I'm replacing a 42' house trailer with it. The trailer was made in '59, and when my parents put it on the property in '73 it looked like brand new. Now the end with the main entrance sagged enough that the front door would not close tight. One day pushed the door hard to get it to open and a 20' gap appeared along the floor. The wood frame had turned to dust from termites, and the steel siding rusted through. So, on either side of the door I screwed a 2X4 to the floor, and then ran screws through the walls into the 2X4's, to keep the walls from opening up in a wind storm. Then we screwed 2X4's to the wall and rehung a storm door to them that would open, close, and seal. The straw that broke the camel's back was last year. I had butchered a deer and had blood on my hands. We don't have running water, so I heated a big pot of water and washed up good. That night I felt something touch my finger, being half asleep, I just wiggled my finger. Then it touched my hand again, wiggled my fingers, then it pinched my thumb, and I swatted at it. A mouse went flying across the room, hit the wall, and scurried off. I got up and looked at my thumb and there was a little trace of deer blood in my finger print, and that rascal was nibbling at the blood. So, no wood shed. I'm putting up a wall at one end for a small bed room for 2, the loft over head will have cots for 2 more. I'll move my fold up table in the trailer to the new bunk house. Any extra guys can fold the table up and put cots along the walls. I figure we can sleep 6 comfortably and 8 for a weekend shoot. We put in a 55 gallon septic tank so we do have an inside toilet. We have another 55 gallon tank that catches water to gravity feed the toilet. All the comforts of home.
Here's a look out the front door and a pic of my fold up table I made.

59eLivO.jpg

wu4C3fG.jpg

just kidding r/f! little doubt in my mind, it would be a real-life bunkhouse... cabin... home! hope you can put in a nice porch and a fireplace, too! or a cozy wood burning stove. and also more pix of the project! is it on property yet...?

Real Stories of The New Bunkhouse...

looks like nice country!! saw the first deer out in near middle pasture, then in relooking... saw the other couple just at the crest of the hill...

did u mill the lumber for the fold up table?...

zws.jpg

Well I was almost saw reformed. Had one project saw left (ok I guess I have 3 others too), a Jonsereds 70E from a fellow member. Was going to just give it to my friend but figured I’d get it running and do some cutting with it so I ordered a carb kit yesterday.

my 'parts list' for a couple of saw and related projects came in. I went to get them on Monday...

PA090137.JPG

When I was a fresh pup out of school I had a job as a laborer with a construction company. Guy didn't show up and the foreman through me into a loader. He took a shine to me and taught me how to run every piece of equipment we had. Besides him I was the only one allowed to run his old champion road grader. Talk about a lesson in levers! I have a very funny memory and I think he was amazed I remembered what all the levers did after a time or two running it. Hopped in a cat 325l the other day and it brought back all the fun memories of learning to run this stuff.

Before I was a fresh pup out of school... we lived rural out on a farm place up in the Pacfiic NW. the road into town, and by our place was gravel hiway. dusty at times, my dad would scrounge, beg, borrow and maybe even... old oil. put it out, kept the dust down in front of our place. the county maintained those roads with big yellow road maintainers. I remember looking up into cab when one would go by us, or we would drive by one...

nothing but levers!! lots of levers and a round black steering wheel.

zrg.jpg

today we went to visit some of friends of ours. couple weeks summer camp for one of my dogs... about an hours drive out of town. SE more or less... once we broke free of this big city's urban appeal... lol... and onto more rural roads... I took notice of all the wood piles one could scrounge if one had the inkling to inquire, etc. at least a couple dozen within walking distance of the road. also quite a few piles in and around my neck of the woods, seems the utility company has crews out trimming and clearing along their lines. lots of oak under the branches... some being chippered up. I like the 100 ac unlimited firewood opportunity... but agreed! other than to see family, 450 kms is quite a ride to fill the trailer. besides, I have no shortage of scroungeable-type firewood projects within my own walking distance... lots of oak! out along the county line should I desire to fire up a saw and the splitter. :) I still remain quite delighted to merely walk down the street and bring in a scrounge or two. even if its not a couple of cords and only comes in limb by limb. there was a large tree across the neighborhood road the other day. type? don't know. looked soft. it got cut up and moved to side of road at resident's drive. then the city came by and finished cutting it all up and hauled it off. how? I don't know! was on pvt pty.

here's some ez~pickins... great for outdoor use.

P9230058.JPG

Back