Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Road still not open to access the easy to get lodge pole so went back today to get some more of the red fir. 8BE348BE-0C11-4354-A8EE-8772B839407B.jpegPulled a couple short pieces up to the road with the pickup, really need a winch. Should have enough firewood sales to fund one by this fall, so far I think the rope capstan winch would work the best other than price.
Ended up with about 1/2 load944F9BB8-2CDC-40B0-8D59-98CA0F18EE6C.jpegWent on up the road to look for some more. Found a tamarack someone cut last fall and left about 1/2 of it there, and it was on the up hill side of the road! :)D2B0BB7D-5F7F-4129-9BA1-C5AA165072BB.jpegEnded up with a good load and there was still some left. 1EB80EE2-8FFA-4FBE-B656-A2B7475D4D2A.jpegTamarack was pretty wet and heavy but will be great wood when it dries. Splits easy and pops apart with a satisfying crack like Neil was talking about. Rare find around here.
Log tongs came in the mail today. After sharping them and figuring out a technique to get them to close on a block without pushing them closed I really like them. Just set them on block and give them a quick little jerk and they grab and hold well5F006847-00D2-40F8-B734-AEF294613157.jpegEven works on the larger pieces wellA014FBB0-13A1-497D-95E0-8F25CBC78CE9.jpeg
Much easier to carry 2 larger pieces at a time now.

Well, June is starting out like May left off, severe t-storms tonight with heavy downpours. Everything is still a swamp. Can’t get to hardly any wood, especially the good oaks. @Logger nate, that winch I have is a 12,000 lb. Badlands and can be gotten at Harbor Freight for $299 on sale, not sure what the winch your looking at costs. The Badlands actually has good reviews.

Well, June is starting out like May left off, severe t-storms tonight with heavy downpours. Everything is still a swamp. Can’t get to hardly any wood, especially the good oaks. @Logger nate, that winch I have is a 12,000 lb. Badlands and can be gotten at Harbor Freight for $299 on sale, not sure what the winch your looking at costs. The Badlands actually has good reviews.
I sent those storms a while ago, they should be over your way by 3-5 depending what they do.
The southern portion is the worse and looks to be heading right at you.

I've got that same winch setup, I use it for pulling cars, mowers on the trailer, it's never not pulled what I've asked of it, but I haven't done anything to heavy with it.

Yeah been pretty crazy weather here too, thunder storms almost every afternoon. Most areas here have already reached there average rain fall for the year. And they had a small tornado south of us, extremely rare.
Thanks, I was going to ask what brand winch you had. That is one I’m looking at. Like the idea of the rope capstan winch but this is much more doable price wise and sounds like it would work well. Also like the idea of the remote so you don’t have to stand right next to it, can be out where you can see what’s going on. The capstan is about $1500, without rope.

Yeah been pretty crazy weather here too, thunder storms almost every afternoon. Most areas here have already reached there average rain fall for the year. And they had a small tornado south of us, extremely rare.
Thanks, I was going to ask what brand winch you had. That is one I’m looking at. Like the idea of the rope capstan winch but this is much more doable price wise and sounds like it would work well. Also like the idea of the remote so you don’t have to stand right next to it, can be out where you can see what’s going on. The capstan is about $1500, without rope.
I want a remote skidding winch for the tractor, but as you said, the price sometimes is a rude awakening :yes:.
The one we have would be a bit slow compared to the capstan, but the cost is more affordable and the remote helps make up for the speed.
Good night guys :hi:.

I want a remote skidding winch for the tractor,.
Not getting the remote option is my only regret about buying my winch all those years ago. Not that I could afford it at the time but if I now add up all the time and hassle it would have saved, it would have if not paid for itself by now then most certainly when the winch and remote is sold.
Even just being able to stay on the saw, at the stump while pulling trees over against their lean, could have saved me hours on that recent sketchy job with all those trees leaning out over a state highway

Before and after pics of that job attached. The only place for the tractor+ winch was behind the shed, so as a one-man-band it meant way too much up and down the hill. There were a few times it got somewhat sketchy with the tree teetering on the hinge and me hoping and preying it wouldn't snap the hinge before I had scrambled up and across the bank to the tractor to pull it over and across the bank. If I had lost any of them they were landing on the cars travelling on the road immediately below.
I tried with a helper on the winch but it's very hard to coordinate how much tension and when in these situations. This is exactly what a radio remote winch would be perfect for.

If I ever win the lottery, the next winch will have not just the radio remote controlled winch (including tractor start and throttle control options - which are available on some models), but also the smaller versions of the radio remote release chokers. There are two main suppliers of those, one in NZ (Fortronics) and the other in Germany (Ludwig). This way, a one-idiot-logging show can still be very productive. That said, they'd have to be to pay for it all as the chokers are insanely expensive!

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 8
  • during.jpg
    during.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 8
The big section of the Poplar that came down. We got every piece of brush on this one load. Noodled the bigger wood and it went next door to the neighbor where it will be split and stacked for her. Saved two 7' sections to mill, beautiful logs.
OdwtaLZ.jpg

ptxISRq.jpg

vlnSgBY.jpg

Ct9oL8s.jpg

I haven’t found any thing I like better than Stihl RS, it cuts fast bucking, cuts smooth milling, keep it out of the dirt, and it lasts a long time. My biggest complaint was cost, then I found a local dealer that has a buy one get one free deal. I tend to run saws that are big for the job at hand, so pulling the chain is never an issue. My other problem is the dealer quit cutting chain, he only sells what comes in the box, and no 404. So I may try some Oregon on my 45” bar.

Well I've been busy helping a mate fix mowers and chainsaws and rebuilding motorbike engines and of course cutting up half a forest inbetween.

Heres part of 3 loads we cut the other day for a friend who's not able to cut wood anymore due to chalky bones and other problems so we make sure he and his wife have plenty of wood to burn over Winter.

I kept a couple of pieces to try for myself as we hadn't seen this type of wood before so not sure exactly what it's called I can say it's way off the charts heat wise, it's almost too hot to burn at the moment so will keep that for when the snow fly's which should be tomorrow night from all reports.

1QJL9IEl.jpg

cum0te0l.jpg

Hard to beat Stihl RS or RSL right out of the box, and it holds an edge better than other chain, which, IMO, makes it worth the addl cost.
Yup.

The only downside at all to Stihl chain is if you rock it, you’re going to need to grind it back. A guy will kill him self trying to hand file that stuff for more than a touch up sharpen!

The sawmill lake in my hometown. Another genuine virgin white pine log just waiting for time to pass.

9EFB97BC-166E-4096-A105-F76F139734A1.jpeg

The little lake by my cabin. One of two abandoned boats (the other is sunk along the far shore). This thing is corroded terribly!!
900B6C3A-D1F5-4194-A103-3FF528B5172F.jpeg

During the great depression a sawmill company set up along the shore of the lake to extract the logs lost in the lake during the original logging operation of 1912. Here’s a barrel and bed frame left behind. They left a building that was used as a gypo shack into the 60’s. Ironically the guy who claimed the shack burned it down because other people started using it. Go figure lol.
94F2FEA4-87FE-4ABA-9AE7-A47372E1943C.jpeg 344F1E2E-0227-44DB-88B2-0F108EF2E2AA.jpeg

Celebrated our cat’s 18th birthday party yesterday.
0BBFB2AA-ABD8-456A-BCD3-A747DEC5A472.jpeg

Id take this opportunity to buy climbing gear and a new top handle saw[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16].

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
I've got a harness and spikes. Maybe if I start a Go Fund Me I could afford all the ropes and other things needed to climb. Or maybe just free climb it with the saw tied to my belt :eek:.

Latest posts

Back