Can I run a 28" bar on a MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can it pull a 28" bar and chain

• Yes

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Needs bigger oiler

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
After tracing issues to the impulse line and later carb, it runs! As the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding, and the pudding was 25.5 inches in diameter and was easily cut. It had no issues cutting it although it wasn't too terribly happy about it. It does need the muffler mod and, sadly, a new carb due to funk but it gets the job done no sweat.
IMG_E3254.jpg

The extra load and wear will show up in time. It’s only 59cc’s? I always thought about matching the bar length to the cc’s / hp of the power head. My new 575 at the time cut with a full skip chain and a 28” bar but my new 385xp with a 32” bar cut with authority. She showed there’s no replacement for displacement. The 385 roared through everything and some trunks I had to cut from both sides.(larger diameter) if I needed a bigger cc saw I’d go used if not needed that much. I purchased my son a jred 910e for $200. She’s an awesome runner for a used 86cc saw.
I gave both sons a husky 570 each, my other son will get a 285/ 288 soon. Then I feel comfortable they can cut anything.

Does huztl have parts for it? Buy one part at a time or see if they offer a new motor? Plan ahead, I do.

After tracing issues to the impulse line and later carb, it runs! As the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding, and the pudding was 25.5 inches in diameter and was easily cut. It had no issues cutting it although it wasn't too terribly happy about it. It does need the muffler mod and, sadly, a new carb due to funk but it gets the job done no sweat.
View attachment 739227

Muffler mod and the pump guts from a 460/1 R and I'd say you're good to go.

I run a 18" Tsumura on my 360 Pro and Dolmar 6100. Yes, they will both pull a longer bar, but they absolutely rip with a 18".

It will do it. It won’t do it fast, or probably oil it enough, but it will do it. Definitely in softwoods. Keep your chain sharp and top out your oiler. Same type deal as running a 3 footer on a 460.

If you’re in 20” wood I would recommend a 25, it will probably be happier unless you just want the long bar so you don’t have to bend over limbung.

All saws die someday. Just a question of how long they'll last doing what you ask of them. I think a 361 with a bigger oiler and the right chain would live a long life with a 28" bar.

There's guys that get quite a bit of time on a 60cc saw with a 28" bar.

A whole lot more than the guys that say you can't do it..I've chunked down with a ported 60cc saw with a 28" bar and a full skip chain..even cut firewood so I didn't have to bend my ass over..worked fine.

All saws die someday. Just a question of how long they'll last doing what you ask of them. I think a 361 with a bigger oiler and the right chain would live a long life with a 28" bar.

A mindful operator will have that saw longer with a 28" bar than a gorilla will with a 16" .. it won't be a speed demon but it will work with a lighter hand and a sharp chain.

It's not like this dude said he was gonna go cut timber with it 6-8 hours a day.

These guys...:laugh:

My MS361 runs fine, but it always growls at me whenever I use a 25" bar on it. I think the saw is trying to tell me something, and I try to listen to what it has to say. With a 20" bar on board it breezes right along.

For a 28" bar I would go to my Stihl 046 Mag, or Makita 6401 with its BBK. Then if my muscles felt in good shape, I'd start and run my Stihl 064 and let the big dog eat. :)

I bought a MS361 a few months ago and have kinda neglected it till now. I've decided to put a bar and chain on it and I have a brand new 28" bar laying around so I want to know, can I run it and will it get enough oil to the bar? I will primarily be cutting 10-20" softwood, no hardwood. So, can it and will it?

why? 16" bar will be fine for small pecker poles

We run 24" bars on 360, 361 and 362 saws (have ~ half dozen of them).

Certainly doesn't zip through wood quite as well as the 460s I also run, but it doesn't do bad at all. I wouldn't think a 28" would "kill" the saw like a few have talked about.

I like using the longer bars, I have to bend down or reach less.

Latest posts

Back