In the market for a bigger saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA452

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Years ago I decided it was time to get some new equipment. Debated between a middle-sized saw to do all and a two-saw plan. I opted for the latter and bought a 261CM. However years later, I never got around to buying the bigger saw as the 261 seemed like it could do all I typically needed.

Fast forward to this past year when I had a pretty big shingle oak come down. Counting the rings, it was at least 115 years old. I got through the whole thing with my 261 running an 18" bar, minus about 10' of the base trunk I have yet to do. But the experience made me realize I should consider moving forward on that larger saw.

Here's my criteria:
  • I generally subscribe to the 'buy once, cry once' philosophy if I can afford it. This is a long-term purchase for me, so I'm willing to spend the money to get what I think is best.
  • I'd like to be able to run a 28" bar. Almost everything I cut is hardwood.
  • Reliable and hassle-free. While I am looking for higher efficiency, speed isn't everything to me. I've seen the videos where guys do timed cuts with a variety of saws, and the fact is a few extra seconds per cut doesn't matter to me. Having a saw that is reliable, hassle-free, mechanically sound, etc.. Those are most important to me.
I've primarily been looking at the 462CM and the 500i. Husqvarna is a possibility too, though I haven't looked at them yet. Between the two Stihl saws I'm looking at, the first two bullet points don't really come into play, it really just comes down to the third.

So between the 462CM and 500i, which fits the third bullet point better? Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks

Consider your age and physical condition also.
When you lose your prime whether age or physical mishaps you may not be able to start some saws so well.
28" bar an 80ish cc chainsaw usually spins them very well in hardwood. 70 cc will do it but not with authority. 90 cc if you want to do it with authority and spend less time with the big diameter wood.

I had to make that choice about 6 months ago. I don't think you can go wrong with either saw. The 500 just felt better in my hands holding it. It may have been the 500 had a 25 light bar and the 462 did not. I do like not having a choke on the 500 it just starts and runs.

50cc/90cc would be a sweet combo.

Grab both a stihl and husky in the shop and see what you prefer. Both will do everything and more. As for m-tronic / auto tune vs adjustable carb - you have an m-tronic 261, you may as well stay with that in your larger saw too. It’s a very reliable and time proven system. It’s not everyone’s choice, but as I’ve said before, I’d suggest there are more correctly tuned / running auto tune / m-tonic saws than adjustable carb versions.

The 500i is very different, I ran one in Aussi hard wood. They’re fantastic saws and really strong. Not far behind a 661 - don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, they’re lighter and very smooth. The only downside is you are more reliant on diagnostic software for fault correction and clearing codes.

Since running one, it would be a toss up between the 661 and 500i for me! 25” on either and there isn’t much difference. The longer bars suite the 661 better though.

Years ago I decided it was time to get some new equipment. Debated between a middle-sized saw to do all and a two-saw plan. I opted for the latter and bought a 261CM. However years later, I never got around to buying the bigger saw as the 261 seemed like it could do all I typically needed.

Fast forward to this past year when I had a pretty big shingle oak come down. Counting the rings, it was at least 115 years old. I got through the whole thing with my 261 running an 18" bar, minus about 10' of the base trunk I have yet to do. But the experience made me realize I should consider moving forward on that larger saw.

Here's my criteria:
  • I generally subscribe to the 'buy once, cry once' philosophy if I can afford it. This is a long-term purchase for me, so I'm willing to spend the money to get what I think is best.
  • Reliable and hassle-free. While I am looking for higher efficiency, speed isn't everything to me. I've seen the videos where guys do timed cuts with a variety of saws, and the fact is a few extra seconds per cut doesn't matter to me. Having a saw that is reliable, hassle-free, mechanically sound, etc.. Those are most important to me.
I've primarily been looking at the 462CM and the 500i. Husqvarna is a possibility too, though I haven't looked at them yet. Between the two Stihl saws I'm looking at, the first two bullet points don't really come into play, it really just comes down to the third.

So between the 462CM and 500i, which fits the third bullet point better? Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks
Have you looked at an Echo 7310? Nails the 3rd bullet better than any electronic saw. Super simple carbed setup. I like mine so much it's the "one" for life in the 70cc range, I know it can sit on a shelf and run in 20 years when I need it...no diagnostics or computers required in the event of a failure.

Have you looked at an Echo 7310? Nails the 3rd bullet better than any electronic saw. Super simple carbed setup. I like mine so much it's the "one" for life in the 70cc range, I know it can sit on a shelf and run in 20 years when I need it...no diagnostics or computers required in the event of a failure.
Not sure where the OP is exactly, but in Canadian prices the 500i is $1900, 462 is $1450, 572 is $1350, and 7310 is $1800. So at least in the great white north it is a greatly over priced saw given the older architecture. It used to be in the $1300 range a year ago but it recently jumped by a massive margin for who knows what reason.

Here's my criteria:

Thanks
I got a new Husky 565 this month for $850 CAD, including a 28" bar and Stihl chain.... I like it alot. For about 12 years now I've run a Husky 365 XT with a 353 that I owned prior. For much of that time the 353 has basically just been a spare cause I like the 365 better, now I'm running a 20" bar on the 365 and a 28" on the 565.

I know for alot of people "Detuned" seems to be a dirty word, but I get plenty interested when I hear it. It generally means marginally less power, a more friendly power band, lower RPM/ better reliability etc. To me efficient woodcutting is all about organisation and reliable equipment, not in seconds saved during the cut, so I like the Husky XX5's. I dont really like bucking with a 50cc saw, and to me the 60cc saws arent enough lighter than a 70cc saw to matter much, so the X65's have been a good fit. YMMV.

Based on your criteria I’d recommend the 500i. We’ve sold more than I can count (or remember at this point) and only two have come back needing major repairs. Get the 28” Stihl ES light bar. Only husky saw that compares is the 585 and it’s quite a bit heavier than the 500i.

Not sure where the OP is exactly, but in Canadian prices the 500i is $1900, 462 is $1450, 572 is $1350, and 7310 is $1800. So at least in the great white north it is a greatly over priced saw given the older architecture. It used to be in the $1300 range a year ago but it recently jumped by a massive margin for who knows what reason.
In USA I got a 7310 at Echo Dealer days for $800, when you consider that's basically half the cost of a 500i here in USA...there is no saw for the money like that. If it were 500i vs 7310 in the same price range I would recommend 500i over it, of course you are getting more technology and less weight.

In USA I got a 7310 at Echo Dealer days for $800, when you consider that's basically half the cost of a 500i here in USA...there is no saw for the money like that. If it were 500i vs 7310 in the same price range I would recommend 500i over it, of course you are getting more technology and less weight.
I'm assuming 800 was a few years ago, when they first came out the list was around 879 and was a pretty good bargain. Now they are 1130 at my dealer. Which means it's within a couple hundred of a 462 or a 572 husky can be had for less.

You don't need that for any other saw then the 500i. The 572 and 462 are carburetor saws with a fuel selinoid and all of 4 wires.

I don't think either of those saws have been around long enough to say if they are reliable long term or hassle-free.

Older with a proven track record would be saws like the stihl 066/660 or the husky 395xp and both will have no problems running a 28in bar or bigger.
The 500i engine has been in use many years for a concrete chop saw. Should be no reliability issues using it for a chain saw. If anything, concrete dust is more damaging than sawdust.

Here's my criteria:

Thanks
Been running the 261/462 combo for several years. Good 2 saw plan. Ran the 500 and wasn't super impressed compared to the 462. Not sure how close you are to York Co but you're welcome to come over and run my 462.

Been running the 261/462 combo for several years. Good 2 saw plan. Ran the 500 and wasn't super impressed compared to the 462. Not sure how close you are to York Co but you're welcome to come over and run my 462.
Most people would say the 500i cuts faster than the 462. I wonder if the 500i you ran had a clogged air filter.

Back