Thoughts on stihl 041 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineNoO9

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
About a year ago I pulled a dummy move and installed the piston wrong on my 041 and grenaded the new to me cylinder and piston. Lots of metal pieces. It's been sitting in a box and I'm considering rebuilding but my thought is the only way to safely rebuild it is to split the case, replace bearings, redo gaskets, then re-assemble, get a new jug and piston. Then finally fire... Am I missing anything? Seems like a losing battle unless I had a really good parts saw to use as a donor but it's seeming like more and more of a money pit then useful unless I can manage to not split the case. Thoughts? Saw isn't sentimental so I may part it out if I don't do anything with it.

If you can get by without replacing seals & bearings and your crankcase seal is okay - in other words, not splitting the case, maybe. Otherwise that's a huge job you're describing, not to mention cost of parts you don't have.

I would only touch a 041 if it was a super. But if its something you have already and want to do it for fun then yes do what you mentioned. On those saws you can replace the clutch side seal pretty easily without splitting the cases. Youll have to find a used cylinder which I'm sure ebay has.

As far as I'm aware everything is good. I just need to make sure everything gets flushed out of the crankcase which I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to do. That was the main reason I was going to split it. I'm going to probably look at it this afternoon to see. I'd be rebuilding it for kicks is all. I half contemplated giving it to a buddy who helped me cut down several trees. He said it sounded like a fun project...

If I could find a super jug to throw on it I'd do it in a heart beat. They never go up for sale though.

Maybe I'll buy a set of seals and pull the current ones off to make sure I can flush everything good then replace and rebuild with a used cylinder.

Just use compressed air and visually inspect it. Yeah the super jugs rarely come up for sale. Around here though whole saws come up for sale fairly frequent. Some cheap too

Just use compressed air and visually inspect it. Yeah the super jugs rarely come up for sale. Around here though whole saws come up for sale fairly frequent. Some cheap too

That's what I'm gonna try. Putting a jug and piston on is easy. I already replaced the carb and sprocket and the rest of the saw was fairly clean once I replaced the fuel lines. Just my own stupidity that blew it up cause I put the piston backwards so the ring caught on the intake port.

That's a bummer. Simple mistake but big consequence.

Here's the first saw I ever worked on. Bought 3 of them from a local for under $200. She was a beaut
IMG_5130.jpg

Pulled it out and looked it over. Seems ok after I used compressed air. It's hardly going to be a work saw. I just would like it to run. Whole thing looks to hardly have any hours on it. I'll have to get pics of the rebuild once I get a cylinder and Piston.

I feel ya. I’ve got a super and a handful of new parts I need to put together someday.

Pics are a must
706852B1-3349-44BE-8732-D28D65F3E820.jpeg Last and fourth one I did.

Back