Stihl 066 Crank size question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uziduzit9mm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, Im rebuilding a Stihl 066, that was given to me. Unfortunately I do not know the story behind this saw. All parts appear to be original factory Stihl tho. Anyways, Its a complete rebuild with new bearings/seals. So far, I've assembled the crank case with the new pressed in Stihl bearings, and purchased a OEM Stihl gaske/seal kit for a 066. Crankcase went together as its supposed to, but the inner diameter of the PTO side seal seems way to large for this crank. I mostly work on Husky saws, and I know some like the 372XP have a bushing between crank and the seal, but there was not one included with this saw and i don’t see one in the diagram. The crank OD is15mm, Was there two different crank sizes in these models? Anyone have any ideas?

Yes there were two different cranks, two different case and 2 different oil seals.
Sounds like you have the crank that uses an 8mm nut to hold the flywheel in place and a 10mm nut crank seal.
Off the top of my head the crank tails were 12mm and 13mm for the 8mm nut and the 10mm nut respectively.
Then you get into the whole short case/long case- poly flywheel/alloy flywheel thing.

Yes there were two different cranks, two different case and 2 different oil seals.
Sounds like you have the crank that uses an 8mm nut to hold the flywheel in place and a 10mm nut crank seal.
Off the top of my head the crank tails were 12mm and 13mm for the 8mm nut and the 10mm nut respectively.
Then you get into the whole short case/long case- poly flywheel/alloy flywheel thing.
Appreciate the info. thank you

ya I have a short block with a poly flywheel and a decomp- evedently these are factory just befor long block and original plastics with the decomp hole
Yep we discussed this before Gord.
I have the sister saw.

Attachments

• 20200623_140618.jpg
    20200623_140618.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200623_140629.jpg
    20200623_140629.jpg
    787.6 KB · Views: 0
my old 066 doesn't have the decomp , just the "soft start' handle, which ripped right off. I prime it for a 1 pull start...

my old 066 doesn't have the decomp , just the "soft start' handle, which ripped right off. I prime it for a 1 pull start...
I have a 660 with the decomp blocked off. I switched to the D-handle (from the 460 Rescue) and modified it to add a coil spring where the rope goes through (effectively converting it into a "soft start" D-handle), which saves my hand sometimes.

Latest posts

Back