Jred CS2145 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin j

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I am fixing a Jred CS2145 saw for a favor for a friend.
I am reminded why working on plastic cased clamshells is not cost effective nor pleasant.

-Ordered some Cabers from the Greek. Got 42 mm. Went to assemble and it is 44 mm bore. Reordered rings, but question is How did it end up 44 mm bore, which I think is like a 2150? Original owner saw, never been to shop, gasketing appears never opened up by anyone. Was it a frankenstein of parts, or end of a run, or part of Jred/Husqv acquisition, or ??? Just my curiousity.

-Bearings and seals. Leaking PTO side seal is why it needed work. Piston and bore are pristine. Original crank seals were flat. One side ( I think PTO but can't recall) fits in groove in case. Other side (I think FW) I think could be removed from outside of case.
Original bearings were 37 mm od and fit into case directly.

New parts, and everything I can find online for Jred and Husq versions, have bearings 35 mm OD, and a can shaped metal sleeve on seal that presses over bearing OD. Molded rubber ribs on OD are about 39 mm.

So questions are will it directly interchange, and will the rubber ribs larger OD crush down and fit or do I need different parts?IF so, where to find them.

Thks, kcj

Attachments

• IMG_6796.jpeg
    IMG_6796.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Could your friend have a 2150 with a 2145 starter cover replacement?
What does the black tag say?

Never seen flat seals like that on a 2140-50, are we 100% we are working on a 21## saw? I mean basically they are a 340-350 Husqvarna with a couple of subtle differences and in red & black- no IPL or service manual I have for them show the flat seal.

So both the black tag and the starter cover have CS 2145. It is a full clamshell, doesn't have the half crank case at the bottom and the upper cylinder like a 350 does. Does not appear that the seals were butchered, but I'll try and get pictures of the crank case especially that which side has the grooves
None of any online parts manuals show the flat seal they all show the cup seal around the outside of the smaller bearings. The bearings are larger OD on this. My main concern is that the cup with the rubber on it is about 2 mm bigger than the crank case pockets and concerned that that's too big and might crack things

Okay then- are we 100% certain this is not some kind of aftermarket piston and cylinder kit?
Personally I have never seen nor heard of a 44mm cylinder for these that does not need the riser block for the bolt down cylinder. 40mm and 42mm yes- but never seen a 44 that was full depth- so would kind of make what you have a one off- unless there was some very early 345/2145's that were 44mm for a short time? That might explain the oddball seals and the strange bore diameter.
Will try and do some research.

So both the black tag and the starter cover have CS 2145. It is a full clamshell, doesn't have the half crank case at the bottom and the upper cylinder like a 350 does. Does not appear that the seals were butchered, but I'll try and get pictures of the crank case especially that which side has the grooves
None of any online parts manuals show the flat seal they all show the cup seal around the outside of the smaller bearings. The bearings are larger OD on this. My main concern is that the cup with the rubber on it is about 2 mm bigger than the crank case pockets and concerned that that's too big and might crack things

Please add photographs of these black tags and starter cover- along with a photo of the intake tract so we can see if it is XT stratto like.

I think you're onto something there. It is a Strato saw
I'm not at the saw but I'll start looking at IPL's for a 2245 and see how that looks
Here's what I have as a 2245 a different saw but I'll bet that's the issue
Name tags are a different saw, crank case pictures are of this saw

Attachments

• IMG_6793.jpeg
    IMG_6793.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6795.jpeg
    IMG_6795.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6796.jpeg
    IMG_6796.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6868.jpeg
    IMG_6868.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6869.jpeg
    IMG_6869.jpeg
    814 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6870.jpeg
    IMG_6870.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I think you've nailed it. Looking in from the side of the saw that's a 2245, I'm seeing the same type of seals as I remember on the other one. It'll be a week until I get to the other saw but I think that's the issue It's a Frankenstein saw that really is a 2245
I'm going to order a set of aftermarket bearings and seals so far less than $20 I will have the parts when I get to the other saw on the gamble that that's the solution

Follow up, because it always bugs me to see a thread with the conclusion isn't posted

So the bearings and rings 2245 fit. Saw back together, PV tested fine, onto its owner.
I'm still not sure of the resolution whether parts were mismatched in a box whether the saw disassembled I got parts mixed up I don't think so. But I do know that the comments above about a 2245 led me to compare it to it another 2245 that I had access to the one in the picture, and that was the issue
I still don't fully understand but it's one of those situations where it's done and down the road and I don't ever wanna work on another clamshell engine

Close. The name plate pictures were I saw I had access to the compare. The pictures of the bearings and seals were the parts out of this saw. I think ultimately it's a Frankenstein saw it's down the road and I hope I never see it again

Latest posts

Back