Stihl 020 AVP fuel line questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NRA_guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a "vintage" (i.e., "old") Stihl 020 AVP chainsaw that was given to me long ago. I ran it a little about 10 years ago, but not since. I recently got it out and tried cranking it, but of course it wouldn't run. The plug fires and it has compression; so I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it up.

My question is about the rubber fuel line. I have never seen a fuel line like it before. It's large on both ends:
The carburetor end of the fuel line is 11.5 mm in OD.
The filter end of the fuel line is 10 mm in OD,
The fuel line itself is 6 mm in OD.
But the hole in the aluminum tank is 9 mm in diameter.

Click the photos to see what I mean.

So when the line is installed, there is about 3 mm open air space where fuel would pour out if you hold the saw downward. Every other chainsaw fuel line I ever replaced was EXTREMELY tight where it went through the side of the tank.

And getting the big ends of the short fuel line through the hole is almost impossible. The line is so short that the filter doesn't even reach the bottom of the fuel tank. It also is so short that replacing the filter without completely disassembling the saw and separating the fuel talk into 2 pieces is impossible.

Has anybody run into this? If so, how did you handle it?

Soon, I will probably drop it off at a scrap metal place.

Attachments

• Stihl 020 fuel line.JPG
    Stihl 020 fuel line.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Stihl 020 fuel line 2.JPG
    Stihl 020 fuel line 2.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Stihl 020 fuel line 2 hole.jpg
    Stihl 020 fuel line 2 hole.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1
Is there supposed to be a grommet in that hole?
I finally found the Stihl parts diagram. Looks like somebody took the saw apart and threw away part of the fuel line before I got it. (I got the saw for free---all disassembled in a box.)

Now I see that the factory fuel line was a 2-piece thing with a large connector in the hole that I was asking about. It all makes sense now. By the way, the part is no longer available.

Click the photo to see the detail.

Attachments

• Stihl 020 parts diagram detail.jpg
    Stihl 020 parts diagram detail.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1
Looks like Stihl changed (simplified) their fuel line design in later model saws, but kept the large hole in the side of the fuel tank. So, instead of using regular straight Tygon tubing, you have to buy a replacement like the following. Upon more searching, I see that other brands of saws use a similar design. I am not sure why. Maybe it seals better and is easier to install.

Attachments

• Stihl new design fuel line.JPG
    Stihl new design fuel line.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
One last thing. While searching Google for a fuel line for my chainsaw, I ran across the attached. (I'd post it in the WTF thread, but I am no longer allowed to post there.)

Attachments

• Funny chainsaw fuel line ad.JPG
    Funny chainsaw fuel line ad.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 1
You want the fuel line that goes from the tank to the filter. Have never actually seen the part for the second filter in this shop.
Very fussy saw to get right. Will NOT run with pressure or vacuum leaks. Every time you have the tank off you must clean all passages for fuel supply.
They sold a ton of them here when we had the ice storm in the late 70s. 015 and 020 were very popular.

Latest posts

Back