Stihl 026 refurb q?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderwolf

Reaction score
Bil was given a 026 that needed a lot of cleaning. To the point now where after about a hour with the air oppressor I can see parts well enough to look at what needs replaced and besides the bad fuel line the air filter probably should be replaced as well. Looking at kits on Amazon they all see the same ~$20 gets a carb filter fuel lines etc....are they all pretty much the same?

All the AM stuff I have seen used is very questionable service wise, may or not work or last a month or so, all made from cheap products with no quality control, fuel related parts shrink or expand possibly dissolve in modern fuel compositions . OEM has always lasted for me and Stihl has changed their fuel related parts to withstand the corn squeezings the fuel companies are selling at the pumps these days.

Update: took about another hour of cleaning with break cleaner and the air compressor. Cleaned the air filter and pulled the carb and cleaned that up , pulled a good finger full of gel off the filter screen.

Replaced pick up and fuel like. Runs pretty well now. Glad I got the oem carb working I don't like to replace factory parts if it's not needed

Update: took about another hour of cleaning with break cleaner and the air compressor. Cleaned the air filter and pulled the carb and cleaned that up , pulled a good finger full of gel off the filter screen.

Replaced pick up and fuel like. Runs pretty well now. Glad I got the oem carb working I don't like to replace factory parts if it's not needed
I also have an 026 love it. Except for the muffler. I did take off the cover and open it up with a Dremel tool. What I really don't like about it is that the exhaust exit s towards the bar makes the whole engine casing black and hot so, what I did is I reversed it and brazed the exhaust deflector,now it exhaust's on the recoiler puller side

The cheap fuel line on amazon is bad, very bad. I usually buy tygon fuel line in bulk for everything. I bought some cheap carbs for snowblower motors and they come with that cheap fuel line a cheap spark plug and a cheap fuel filter, those items are usually trash. You have to be careful with aftermarket stuff. I have had some new carbs that were bad also, just don't work or the parts don't fit right like a float bowl, sometimes you get lucky. Amazon has a great return policy so that helps if you do get burned. I only do this when I don't want to put a large order in for OEM parts and I need a part quickly for a customer. I would not trust an aftermarket air filter, this is one of the most important parts on a saw.

The cheap fuel line on amazon is bad, very bad. I usually buy tygon fuel line in bulk for everything. I bought some cheap carbs for snowblower motors and they come with that cheap fuel line a cheap spark plug and a cheap fuel filter, those items are usually trash. You have to be careful with aftermarket stuff. I have had some new carbs that were bad also, just don't work or the parts don't fit right like a float bowl, sometimes you get lucky. Amazon has a great return policy so that helps if you do get burned. I only do this when I don't want to put a large order in for OEM parts and I need a part quickly for a customer. I would not trust an aftermarket air filter, this is one of the most important parts on a saw.

If you just want plain fuel line the Stihl OEM is much better than Tygon. I have found no source for it other than Stihl. But, on blowers etc. that use non molded line it will last like forever, if you don't get it pinched. The Tygon gets brittle and will slip off a nipple.

The Husqvarna curly line is about the same stuff as Stihl. Still no idea where to source it.

Back