Stihl 026 will not run.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody367

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 026 that will not run. It ran but not good as fuel was left in it. I cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel line, filter and impulse line. Now it will not start at all. If I sprat fuel or starting fluid in carb it starts right up. So I bought 2 aftermarket carbs and 2 new sets of hoses in case I put a hole in . Still same issue no matter which carb is used. Anyone have any ideas? It is obviously not getting fuel. Thanks

I imagine you are right about fuel.

I always put a full OEM carb kit in the OEM carb before going with AM carb.

But, when I have ended up with AM carbs, they have mostly been fine. I have one on a 026 right now which runs tip-top.

If it was me...I would double check all not-fuel issues first (the free or low-cost ones). New spark plug, check for spark, look at piston through exhaust, compression check, do a P&V test of: the case, fuel line, and carb.

If all that checks out, I'd put a Walbro full kit in the original carb.

Roy

Thank you, I would try a rebuild kit but never worked on these small carbs. I can no longer do small detail work with my failing eyes. I might just have to buy a new one. I have the same issue with a ECHO blower and might just buy a new carb, not that I have the money.

I have a Stihl 026 that will not run. It ran but not good as fuel was left in it. I cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel line, filter and impulse line. Now it will not start at all. If I sprat fuel or starting fluid in carb it starts right up. So I bought 2 aftermarket carbs and 2 new sets of hoses in case I put a hole in . Still same issue no matter which carb is used. Anyone have any ideas? It is obviously not getting fuel. Thanks
Same problem following throwing the kitchen sink at a 455 Rancher. It was the fuel intake hose; it was crimped, pinched off. I trimmed the ends, and turned it in its port, until it laid down low. Saw started on first pull. Used it today. After sitting dry under the Bench for 4 mths.

Anyone know what the rebuild kit # is? I might try nit anyway, have nothing to losse.

The correct kit is Walbro K20 -WAT

Service manual attached.

Pay attention to the gaskets and diaphragms in the carb when you pull it apart and the order they go in. There will be many parts left over in the kit.

There is a good diagram of the gasket and diaphragm order in the service manual.

Attachments

• Walbro WT manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
The correct kit is Walbro K20 -WAT

Service manual attached.

Pay attention to the gaskets and diaphragms in the carb when you pull it apart and the order they go in. There will be many parts left over in the kit.

There is a good diagram of the gasket and diaphragm order in the service manual.
How can you recommend a kit without knowing the carb model?

Because all the 026 carbs are in the IPL and they are all WT carbs. If you know differently speak up.
Just because it is a WT base doesn't mean that they take the same kit. As I recall some took the -10 kit and others the -20 kit.

Ok guys. After moving to NC and half my stuff in satorage for some reason the box with the carbs in it can not be found. I have the crate with every chain saw and psrt but no carbs. So I will just buy a new carb and be done with it. Now will the carn on a 026 and a MS260 be the same and id there only 1 model carb to get? Just asking as some have stated more then 1 model was used. Thank you

Ok guys. After moving to NC and half my stuff in satorage for some reason the box with the carbs in it can not be found. I have the crate with every chain saw and psrt but no carbs. So I will just buy a new carb and be done with it. Now will the carn on a 026 and a MS260 be the same and id there only 1 model carb to get? Just asking as some have stated more then 1 model was used. Thank you
It depends on what version your 026 is. Later ones had compensating carbs. Older ones didn't. Put up a photo of the back side of the original air filter and the top rear of the gas tank with the AF cover off.

Sorry for all the BS. I found the OR carbs see attached photos. 1- is off the 026 and 1- off the MS260 pro. Not sure which is which. The #'s I found sre WTE529 and WT22a if they mean anything. My eye are not great for detail stuff anymore. Not sure if I should try rebuilding them or just buy new. Thank you

Attachments

• KIMG1649.JPG
    KIMG1649.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG1651.JPG
    KIMG1651.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 0
Sorry for all the BS. I found the OR carbs see attached photos. 1- is off the 026 and 1- off the MS260 pro. Not sure which is which. The #'s I found sre WTE529 and WT22a if they mean anything. My eye are not great for detail stuff anymore. Not sure if I should try rebuilding them or just buy new. Thank you
The WT-22 is off the 026. You can either attempt to rebuild it with an OEM kit (K10-WAT) or just replace it with a genuine WT-194.

The WT-22 is listed in the Walbro site as a carb for the 026. I couldn't find info on the WTE-529.

Latest posts

Back