Poulan 3300 no fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Besawin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a poulan 3300 that will not pull fuel up to carb. 2 carbs ,one off of running saw, one rebuilt to try it. Impulse line seems to be pulsing can feel it. Tried fuel cap to make sure. New fuel line, cannot find fuel leaking. It has vent tygon with screw ,old Stihl style. Even tried pulling vent out plugging it to pressurize tank more. It has walbro hda 49. Have some stihls great saws ,but I really enjoy these mag case poulan. Thanks in advance

Did you remove the carb and see if its clean? How's compression? And what's the saws history? New to you or you've witnessed it run etc?

Did you remove the carb and see if its clean? How's compression? And what's the saws history? New to you or you've witnessed it run etc?
The carb is clean and new diaphram and flapper kit needle and seat. Ive ran it off and on a year little firewood. My dad ran this saw wood cutting couple weeks ago. I noticed when he would let off throttle the idle was very very high. Shut it off start it back it fine until you pull it out of the cut then the high idle comes again. My first thought it was sucking air or I had it too lean or rich. I wondered how hot it got so I pulled muffler off rings moved freely very light scoring. I was pulling it apart to just get visual of things discovered a cracked clutch that I think was getting stuck causing the high idle after a cut thing. I just put new rings and crank seals a year ago and used yamabond saw has been great until now. But I will get a couple compression testers to check tomorrow. I did put the original carb back on. because I was assuming the clutch was problem. I'm hoping to get it back going

I have a poulan 3300 that will not pull fuel up to carb. 2 carbs ,one off of running saw, one rebuilt to try it. Impulse line seems to be pulsing can feel it. Tried fuel cap to make sure. New fuel line, cannot find fuel leaking. It has vent tygon with screw ,old Stihl style. Even tried pulling vent out plugging it to pressurize tank more. It has walbro hda 49. Have some stihls great saws ,but I really enjoy these mag case poulan. Thanks in advance
Fuel troubles can be a headache, but you're on the right track checking the impulse line. Since you've tried two carbs and verified the pulsing, inspect the fuel lines thoroughly. Sometimes, even a tiny crack can cause issues.

Fuel troubles can be a headache, but you're on the right track checking the impulse line. Since you've tried two carbs and verified the pulsing, inspect the fuel lines thoroughly. Sometimes, even a tiny crack can cause issues.
Changed fuel line yesterday for good measures. I can feel pulse when pulling it also the port that sticks out of carb for fuel line, feels like it pushing pressure into tank instead of pulling to pick up fuel. Same on both carbs though. I checked twice to make sure my gaskets and flaps are in correct order.

Do you got your lines in right order. I get some of these in all backwards.

Top of carb goes to back of case. IMO use echo oem 3mmx6mm but 3x5 can be used too.

Side of carb goes to fuel line with filter in tank.

Other line in tank is tank vent with duck bill.

Pics added below. All in a thread here already from showing someone.

Impulse line goes from back of crankcase under carb area in tank to top of carb.

The 2 in top of fuel tank. 1 to carb left side other is a tank vent with duckbill inside.

Tank attached. Front tank vent one with duck bill just gets tucked behind there af area. Back one goes to left side carb.

pliner.jpgplinerr.jpgplinerrr.jpgplinerrrr.jpgplinerrrrr.jpgplinerrrrrr.jpgplinerrrrrrr.jpg

New fu
Fuel troubles can be a headache, but you're on the right track checking the impulse line. Since you've tried two carbs and verified the pulsing, inspect the fuel lines thoroughly. Sometimes, even a tiny crack can cause issues.n
Impulse line goes from back of crankcase under carb area in tank to top of carb.

The 2 in top of fuel tank. 1 to carb left side other is a tank vent with duckbill inside.

Tank attached. Front tank vent one with duck bill just gets tucked behind there af area. Back one goes to left side carb.

View attachment 1148493View attachment 1148494View attachment 1148495View attachment 1148496View attachment 1148497View attachment 1148498View attachment 1148499
Yes sir lines are routed correctly although my impulse line is the stiff clear tygon . I put it on few days ago I'm not sure how long it can stand the heat.

View attachment 1148493View attachment 1148494View attachment 1148495View attachment 1148496View attachment 1148497View attachment 1148498View attachment 1148499
I replaced pulse line with stiff clear tygon knowing it won't last. Just trying to eliminate. I don't have duckbill valve but old Stihl style line with stud style. I will still go over all that this evening to check and report back. How finicky are the hda49

Since never said this saw was running from get go.

Starting to bet you have other issues going. Start simple. Spark from coil? Plug try new? Crank seals bad? Piston and ring etc psi checked and any scoring anywhere to pin ring?

Since never said this saw was running from get go.

Starting to bet you have other issues going. Start simple. Spark from coil? Plug try new? Crank seals bad? Piston and ring etc psi checked and any scoring anywhere to pin ring?
Had to work late today. Hope to work on it tomorrow. And yes I agree I should start simple. This saw was a good runner I have ran it until the clutch/high idle episode I talked about in the earlier post.

Ok guys first thanks for the help. I checked pulse it was good. So I took the advice and went through the carb again and am now pulling fuel. I think however I created a new problem. After it pops on choke I will not hit again. I pull the plug out and it's soaked. So I'm thinking I set metering lever too high. Or ignition coil doing something crazy.

You may well have the metering level set too high, this will prevent the metering valve from closing & cause flooding.
If you can, try putting pressure on the carbs fuel input, should hold 7-10 psi indefinitely.
If you don't have the correct tool for setting the metering hight it can be done with feeler gauges, just need to do your homework so you know you're setting it right

Like said above. If did rebuilt kit and put new fulcrum etc in. You prob have metering height to high. If didnt could have been stuck or bad tip on needle.

Different carb. But walbro tool used on different sides for different carbs. This is shown setting a HDB one on 3700. Shows HDA same way on there. Shows flush across top.

Attachments

• hdbc.jpg
    hdbc.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
trying to do metering lever bye eye probably not good idea. Also what kind of line can I order for impulse line I don't have you guys knowledge but I don't trust the tygon for impulse line wouldn't the heat damage it?

Like said above. If did rebuilt kit and put new fulcrum etc in. You prob have metering height to high. If didnt could have been stuck or bad tip on needle.

Different carb. But walbro tool used on different sides for different carbs. This is shown setting a HDB one on 3700. Shows HDA same way on there. Shows flush across top.
You was correct thanks. I set metering lever flush and all is well or firing up and idling. I just have the high at 1 round for now, don't wanna rev too much the neighbors elderly folks. Glad to hear it run I have a 026 and 036 which I love but lately I find myself picking up the poulan. Im gonna gets some parts for a 2800 that I got and put a 16 bar for my dad.

trying to do metering lever bye eye probably not good idea. Also what kind of line can I order for impulse line I don't have you guys knowledge but I don't trust the tygon for impulse line wouldn't the heat damage it?
Echo OEM 3x6 mm is best for impulse. 3x5 can be used too but thinner walls and also this I use for fuel lines too.

Attachments

• eline.jpg
    eline.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 0
I will order some of that line then. When and if I find the parts I need for the 2800 if I have more questions. Do I reply on this page or start new post?

RCR you seem to be a guru on these model poulans. The 3300 is running now and has been before the last problem that y'all helped me with. But I did check compression like y'all suggested it was 90 psi with a known good matco tester from my work. My question is should I be worried? They are new caber rings I put in about a year ago.

Latest posts

Back