THE 026 AND THE PARTS CANNON

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihltech

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting morning at work.
Customer's 026 on bench. States "will not start, have replaced carburetor".
Hangs buy starter handle, falls slowly. Pulls over with no binding. No start after 6 pulls.
Dump fuel, 1/4 tank water.
Has spark, piston looks good, machine marks visible.
Aftermarket air filter-choke flap sticks closed.
Aftermarket fuel hose- kinked completely off in 2 places. (looks like and 036 hose)
L77 sparkplug
Aftermarket carburetor- looks clean- no fuel in it of course.

Vacuum and pressure test tomorrow.
Start with good fuel, filter and hose.

Got to wonder if all these parts are due to bad fuel.
More to come

Had the oil congealed, or was it still fresh?
Only thing I know is that it was green. If it was HP Ultra they had to have four or five times too much.

The fuel was fresh. Just mixed by some Latinos. Not that it matters, but they could have added oil two or three times with a language miscommunication.

The filters were soaked green.

Update-Vacuum and pressure test OK. Replaced the fuel hose , fuel and somehow I lost the L77 plug. Used the above procedure.
Started, but idle about 3500. Checked out the A/M carb. Throttle shutter not closed, adjusted. The idle speed screw will only close the shutter if all the way out. Even then, the idle is still 3500 or so. Opening the low speed jet will not lower the idle without being too rich.
Customer has authorized new carburetor and air filter For sticking choke shutter.
For the other posters, it will be the WT 436 carb, fully adjustable.
Update when parts installed.

If it were on my bench vac/pressure test is a must. If it passes that it would get OEM carb, fuel hose, pulse hose (just because), fuel filter, carb, WSR6F or BPMR7A plug, and air filter. Hell I’d do crank seals in it as well. Trouble I have in this situation is customers often don’t see the value in older saws, so they get replaced with new. 026 is a great unit.

Update-Vacuum and pressure test OK. Replaced the fuel hose , fuel and somehow I lost the L77 plug. Used the above procedure.
Started, but idle about 3500. Checked out the A/M carb. Throttle shutter not closed, adjusted. The idle speed screw will only close the shutter if all the way out. Even then, the idle is still 3500 or so. Opening the low speed jet will not lower the idle without being too rich.
Customer has authorized new carburetor and air filter For sticking choke shutter.
For the other posters, it will be the WT 436 carb, fully adjustable.
Update when parts installed.

WT-426?

What did he do with original carb?

Only thing I know is that it was green. If it was HP Ultra they had to have four or five times too much.

The fuel was fresh. Just mixed by some Latinos. Not that it matters, but they could have added oil two or three times with a language miscommunication.

The filters were soaked green.

The few times I've forgotten and left gas in a saw too long, it starts to turn green. XP+ and ethanol gas.

My grandfather had a little ms180 in the shed. He probably hadn't used it in 10-15 years. I checked it out one day a few years back, and the oil was bright green but sldugy. Took many gas rinses to get the debris out. I didn't even try to run it for fear of the lines/carb.

The few times I've forgotten and left gas in a saw too long, it starts to turn green. XP+ and ethanol gas.

My grandfather had a little ms180 in the shed. He probably hadn't used it in 10-15 years. I checked it out one day a few years back, and the oil was bright green but sldugy. Took many gas rinses to get the debris out. I didn't even try to run it for fear of the lines/carb.

Yeah, I did a couple of Huskys for a guy and the fuel looked like orange Gatorade . No idea what it was originally.

Back