Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped him off and as he’s getting out of the truck he says”If you need any more chains dulled let me know.”
That's pretty funny:lol:.
It sounds as though he's really enjoying the time with you as much as running the saws, what a win win for everyone :cheers:.

You’re lucky, most of the snow we get seems like it just came out the chute of a concrete truck.
Well it's not normally light and fluffy here, we get a lot of lake effect snow, but that's where having a powerful backpack blower comes in handy.
I bought the quad and a plow when I retired. Don’t miss shoveling a bit.
As Mike was saying, they are pretty fast, and I don't miss shoveling either.

View attachment 755653 We got a few more limbs out and cut, next trip will be with the trailer to haul a load home and open the bucking area. Let Wayne run the 6421 tonight. He loved it until he made 3 in a row dirt cuts. Told him don’t worry, if I can’t fix it with the file I’ll use the grinder. Dropped him off and as he’s getting out of the truck he says”If you need any more chains dulled let me know.”View attachment 755653

If you have a friend that has that much enthusiasm, throw the chain away and buy a new one , well worth every penny !

That maple scrounge I did was fun scrounge , I'd cut , the homeowner hustled and did his share so it was all good :)
While we were chatting I remarked about how dry the maple was and how brittle the hinges were .
He thot about it for a bit and then he told me about when he built his first house years back in Cape Breton .
He finished building it mid summer and moved in but by early August he realized that he had no dry wood for his wood furnace for the coming winter .
While he was calling around for firewood one of the older locals told him that since he had a woodlot to go cut his own because if you cut and split ash or maple on the backside of the full moons after July you'll be fine .
So , be careful of your hinges .
Except you guys in that AusKi hemisphere , sap be running there soon !

Well it's not normally light and fluffy here, we get a lot of lake effect snow, but that's where having a powerful backpack blower comes in handy.

As Mike was saying, they are pretty fast, and I don't miss shoveling either.

I set up a 9' plow for my Yammy :)

Went back n forth trying to decide if forks with grab or grapple. Chose the former and enjoy not having to change when lifting pallets. Surprisingly little of the little stuff can't be picked up with the forks too, once I got the hang of it. That said, nobody seems to regret their grapple purchases either.

There may even be a maxim along the lines that whoever dies with the most implements wins.

Went back n forth trying to decide if forks with grab or grapple. Chose the former and enjoy not having to change when lifting pallets. Surprisingly little of the little stuff can't be picked up with the forks too, once I got the hang of it. That said, nobody seems to regret their grapple purchases either.

There may even be a maxim along the lines that whoever dies with the most implements wins.

I dont do a lot of pallet work myself. Mostly logs on and off the trailer. This set was cheap enough that I can try it for a bit and maybe something better comes along. Either beats forks alone :)

Or drink a few more beers in the evening , so when you wake up to pee in the middle of the night, you put couples logs in the woodstove. Foolproof tricks that works for me :givebeer:
Except for the times when the fire is already out and to toss a few rounds in it, and wake up even colder.

Yes we bought a used house so I didnt have the choice of the woodstove. Pacific energy seems to be real good stove though. Maybe next one.
No glowing stove though, no craking, nothing. It seems to be set to burn that way, I guess.
At first I was a bit nervous about it when I started burning with it a year ago, but 10 face cords later I keep calm when I see 900+ stove temp

View attachment 754821

View attachment 754820
where is your temperature gauge mounted?

I bought an extra fork for my forks so I have 3 on it to pick up 32" long rounds, move wide and narrow skids without moving them in or out, and for cutting logs into the 32" long and 16" long rounds. I should have bought 2 extra and it would even pick up 16" long rounds. I also welded on a set of detachable grapple arms on it but seldom have them installed.

Great ideas. Might keep an eye out for extras. Thanks.
I bought an extra fork for my forks so I have 3 on it to pick up 32" long rounds, move wide and narrow skids without moving them in or out, and for cutting logs into the 32" long and 16" long rounds. I should have bought 2 extra and it would even pick up 16" long rounds. I also welded on a set of detachable grapple arms on it but seldom have them installed.

Back