Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 760829 View attachment 760830 View attachment 760831 View attachment 760832 View attachment 760833

That was funny, whoever said "I'm betting there will be more posts after this"

You jinxed it! I also thought that if genuine it at least looks like a demo saw, which is not close to play with me. I break in saws methodically and seat those rings. I want good compression and a good film on everything before I open her up. Demo saws are bounced off the top end under no load. I'm furious right now.

Looked through spark plug hole with phone and it looked a bit bronze, definitely not new. So I peak in with a Boro scope and behold!! It was just the light, not brown at all. Scrubbed clean with what looks like 80 grit!! Deep Scoring on cylinder walls.

Looks like a customer burnt up a saw and they went through and, not even rebuild, but scrubbed it out to hide it and pass it off on me.
The oil all over it was not from a Chinese factory assembly line, but from the hands of the unscrupulous dealer "mechanic" trying to make **** look new. Funny, if it weren't for the case seams and oil and Brazil tag and locked chain brake, I would have probably never checked.

After looking inside I pick up the plu to replace it and it's brown... All that work to gild a pos and they forgot to use a new plug and wipe the case down!!

They're damn lucky to be in another state, airfare is cheap enough but by time I get there I might be a little more View attachment 760829 View attachment 760830 View attachment 760831 View attachment 760832 View attachment 760833 civil.

Obviously they relaced the sprocket and clutch drum, and probably the handle and brake, I wonder if that wasnt done and seated right either that it was froze and sounded broken.

Guess I'm not that dumb after all. Something was definitely off and if I didn't stop it would have been down the road sometime before I caught on to what they'd done, probably.
Dealer purchased or online?

Really!!? You can clearly see the remnants of scoring through clearly a "poorman's 'rehone'" If you look at the red circled area there are the darker low spots from the top end having been torched with heat. The bright cylinder is brighter than should be as the angles, of greater surface area, from all the sandpaper scratches are reflecting more light back to the focal point than a flat wall would.

If you've ever sanded metal you know what I'm talking about. Further, look at the grain directions of these swirl marks. (mapped in blue) they are, some, perpendicular, and many more over them that are at a 45 degree angle. This occurs when in a poorman's cylinder 'rehone' (sanding) they place a dowel slightly smaller than the jug, with a bolt longitudinally through it in the chuck of a cordless drill and wrap this mandrel they made, in sandpaper. The 45 degree angle happens from in out action while the drill is turning, and overlaps because the last step is, of course, removing the mandrel. Which is why the 45 degree angle overlaps perpendicular ones. Here they didn't even try to do a good job in finishing, looks like at best they stopped with 120 grit, but can still see deeper ~80 grit swirl marks they didn't hone out fully to the crude grit they stopped at. At any rate, this is not a new saw. The used carbon built up spark plug and bright swirl marks and dark (still carboned) low spots from scoring ring damage which ablated the cylinder walls tells the story.

Further the piston has a big old divot/ excavation in it, because when they went to replace the drum and sprocket assembly (which itself, showed no evidence of a chain ever being on it) they didn't do this competently and the piston stop rob tore the hell out of the head of the piston.

IMG_3884.jpg IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_3874.JPG

I don't see scoring

Top of the piston looks new

Really!!? You can clearly see the remnants of scoring through clearly a "poorman's 'rehone'" If you look at the red circled area there are the darker low spots from the top end having been torched with heat. The bright cylinder is brighter than should be as the angles, of greater surface area, from all the sandpaper scratches are reflecting more light back to the focal point than a flat wall would.

If you've ever sanded metal you know what I'm talking about. Further, look at the grain directions of these swirl marks. (mapped in blue) they are, some, perpendicular, and many more over them that are at a 45 degree angle. This occurs when in a poorman's cylinder 'rehone' (sanding) they place a dowel slightly smaller than the jug, with a bolt longitudinally through it in the chuck of a cordless drill and wrap this mandrel they made, in sandpaper. The 45 degree angle happens from in out action while the drill is turning, and overlaps because the last step is, of course, removing the mandrel. Which is why the 45 degree angle overlaps perpendicular ones. Here they didn't even try to do a good job in finishing, looks like at best they stopped with 120 grit, but can still see deeper ~80 grit swirl marks they didn't hone out fully to the crude grit they stopped at. At any rate, this is not a new saw. The used carbon built up spark plug and bright swirl marks and dark (still carboned) low spots from scoring ring damage which ablated the cylinder walls tells the story.

Further the piston has a big old divot/ excavation in it, because when they went to replace the drum and sprocket assembly (which itself, showed no evidence of a chain ever being on it) they didn't do this competently and the piston stop rob tore the hell out of the head of the piston.

View attachment 760858 View attachment 760859

View attachment 760862

I forgot to hit insert quote. Those three go together.

That all looks totally normal, again the saw was ran at the factory, so thats how the plug will look.

That is, from first hand knowledge, 100% incorrect. Here is a brand new top end I rebuilt in a 372 that has never been run yet. Cylinder from the factory. Look at how smooth and dull the cylinder wall uniformly reflects light.
7BF64ADA-2551-49F3-A4B5-C7C331F85B6B.jpeg

And here is a low hour cylinder from a MS201tc.
1EAC03A7-6243-4C3F-A98C-CECB18E4BACD.jpeg

And this is a cylinder "rehoned" by some goofball with sandpaper

78430088-9577-4A6F-8383-2E46AF05C798.jpeg

There should be, if any, more, and far slighter, vertical marks from piston rings not yet seated fully, than deep horizontal marks. How much you willing to bet those two deeper horizontal grooves are the same distance between both piston rings?

That all looks totally normal, again the saw was ran at the factory, so thats how the plug will look.
Agree with you. He cannot figure out chainbrake, does not like a seam, does not check choke lever and knows all about cylinder finishes. Some come smooth, some heavy cross hatching. Parts for all brands are made in various countries, global manufacturing. He will never be happy with that saw, he should return it or sell it.

Agree with you. He cannot figure out chainbrake, does not like a seam, does not check choke lever and knows all about cylinder finishes. Some come smooth, some heavy cross hatching. Parts for all brands are made in various countries, global manufacturing. He will never be happy with that saw, he should return it or sell it.

Lol. I'm an idiot because I knew it didn't feel right and that something was off about the saw And was right? curious where the rush to dismiss what I found stems from.

So instead of just forcing it until it broke or released I got some other opinions and gathered anecdotal facts first. Okay.

I think from the fact the saw was gone through poorly, and the drum and sprocket were replaced, so was the chain brake, as neither of those showed the incredible wear, that the engine does. By all means, have one of the saw builders tell you that's all normal.

and you can see the ablation in the piston head from them slamming the piston head into the piston stop bolt, one would use when changing the sprocket and drum. it's probably more likely that they damaged/ incorrectly replaced the steel chain brake band just as they damaged the piston head and did a trash job trying to rehone a siezed piston and scoring, than it is that I had a normal experience with the chain brake out of the box.

That sucker was *stuck* at first and the oil on the case and opened box and smell of gas didn't add up. I've run 060, 660 and 394 and they don't have a chain brake near that locked up. So yeah, I asked.

choke pull (which I knew was connected btw) has a loose feel to it, Still does. You can feel the carb move when it's connected, that's not the concern I raised. My point was it felt like the plastic has been warped or isn't made right. it feels flimsy compared to my other saws. not the end of the world by itself, but at the time was a possible clue for a saw that did not look like it had just come from a husqvarna or Stihl factory. Again, From the oil and gas and beat up box and way it was packaged.

I was expecting a knockoff from the fact that it smelled of gas and had oil all over the plastics like a careless factory assembly. So yes. I questioned the build quality and fitment because that's one of the tells on the knockoffs.

I was not expecting that the saw was destroyed and then they went through the trouble to conceal it before passing it off on me.

By all means, if you think I'm wrong, I hope you will order from this place.

Ps, that's the tank seam on my 372. And I've read many posts talking about plastics seams being a big difference in husqvarna or Stihl vs the knockoffs. It was a fair question.

The stupid thing would have been being to proud to ask for others input and too in a rush to make sure things weren't wrong, just forcing the lever and putting the saw to work.If I where of that personality: I would have stuck myself with a burnt up, bastardized saw. im glad I was skeptical of the saws Lineage, quality and condition.

To everyone that had something constructive to add, again, thank you for your help.

I think the valuable takeaway is to scope your saws when you buy them. I know I will on every saw from now on. It's not invasive, and there's bad apples out there trying to sell torched saws as new.

I will be buying an actual *new* 395xp from a local dealer.

image.jpg

Like I said, send it back for a refund and stop complaining.

Someone did something illegal, they tried to defraud me. I'll not alter my life or schedule or bite my tongue for their benefit. I will make sure everyone knows who did it and that they lose their dealer authorization from Husqvarna at minimum and more. Not a punk and I don't turn the other cheek.

Anyone who doesnt have a dog in this beyond not wanting to be defrauded by a criminal defrauding saw buyers, should have NO problem with that. Rather it's to their benifit. It cleans up the market.

Your interest here in shutting me up is... Curious.

Be well.

Maybe simple explanation, person buys a 395 and has problems, returns to dealer. Owner says just give him a new saw and staff puts returned saw in box he took new one out of. You order a saw, another person looks in box, says looks new, tapes it up and shipped it to you. Have you contacted them and asked for refund including your shipping cost? Did you give them a chance to make it right?

That's not a cross hatching as a factory would do. Which is finer and more uniform. Those grooves from previously seized rings, and the scoring below the rehone job which is coarse and uneven. The huge excavation in the piston head. These aren't there for oil adhesion. No. Someone went through the trouble to
do the bare minimum in cost to rehock a torched Saw as new, this is not just dishonest, it's utterly malfeascant.

But if I know nothing then me asking @mastermindworksaws and @SawTroll shouldnt be upsetting you. You just want to discredit the truth and bury this. Very curious.

Maybe simple explanation, person buys a 395 and has problems, returns to dealer. Owner says just give him a new saw and staff puts returned saw in box he took new one out of. You order a saw, another person looks in box, says looks new, tapes it up and shipped it to you. Have you contacted them and asked for refund including your shipping cost? Did you give them a chance to make it right?

LOL. Your "it's all innocent" response to me is that

1. someone previously owned the saw,
2. had problems with it during their owneeship
3. RETURNED IT.
4. And then they Sold me a previously own saw as new??

I'm hearing you right? Are you hearing yourself?

Problem is, and if you read my previous post, you'd see I said where he admitted that the trash he mailed me was *obviously* torched and Bastardized. But insists it came straight from the factory that way.

So is this the part where you tell me they torch saws at the husqvarna factory, and then, despite the equipment, and number of saws they have, do a crappy sanding of a cylinder scored and with seized rings, leave it with oil on it, and in the process replace the clutch and drum and do it with such incompetence that they destroy the cylinder head with the piston stop???

If you knew how assembly plants work, you'd know that's not at all cost effective or in any way logical for a saw to be flogged and destroyed during any factory "test".

More likely is a derivation where a local arborist torched it, maybe said they set it up wrong. (Having seen their "tech" work, I can definitely see That) and they take it back. But Then they try to make it look new and pass off the loss on the next cross country mark, ordering one online. Try to pass it off as new.

Regardless of "condition", a previously owned saw is not new.

Husqvarna will give them an award for selling off the remaining stock of everyday is a Monday Brazilian 395s. Yeah, they are not as nice, neither were the 2 series made down there.

The cylinders are rough, just like the end of the line 660s. The case seam is careless in a Husqvarna type of way.

Brazil is not Sweden, in any way.

There is nothing off or wrong with the saw in any way I can see. The quality on the Brazilian 395's is as good as anything. Like said above sell the saw and move on, this thread is a joke, I see that now you're either a moron or a troll. The divot on the piston is from the machining process, the scratches you see are from the honing process, again totally normal. And yes I've built a few saws in my day.

That cylinder is completely normal. Most new cylinders look like that from final factory honing. They get smooth after break in.

You’ll also get all sorts of reflective errors on the plating that can look like defects but aren’t.

I have a NIB 395 jug here. I’ll get a pic in a minute if I can find it.

I’m not sure about factory firing. The older Stihl’s (at least the NIB 10mm 044 I pulled apart) were slathered in a dark green/moly assembly lube. Perhaps they added it after running, but it didn’t seem so. The newer ones aren’t like that, so they must have been test fired.

Back